Impactful weapon suggestion

Xerxes

Insider
Sorry if my post is disjointed and hard to follow, not in the mood to organize my thoughts.
1. Weapons that will send enemies flying. Upper cutters that will launch mobs up in the air, downwards slash pancakes monsters, huge slash in an arc that will knock multiple enemies back and cause them to lose their balance.

2. Heavy blows that will temporarily disable enemies limbs , make them lose the ability to get back on their balance, disarm them, and any other "injury" effects.

3. Special ridiculous attacks. I.e, a legendary great sword that can dig out a huge boulder and hurl it at your enemies at distance. (just don't add in sparks and rainbows unless the said weapon is magically enchanted).

4. Weapons that can pin monsters on walls or smash them to fine paste that will stick on the floor, and all other corpse desecrating effects. (don't put in too much elemental death effects, they are gay)

5. Give some attacks of certain weapons hyper armors: meaning the power attack can not be interrupted when it is winding up.

Besides these visual effects, good impactful impact sounds are also good to have. (even though in all likelihoods modders will eventually replace the plain-vanilla ones)

Komuflage

Insider
First of, this forum has a pretty good Community, I know "Fag/gay" is commonly used on the internet, but remember there might be people who get offended, keep it civil.

Weapons that can knock people down are fine, but things like "Hyper armour" and hurling big boulders at enemys and send them flying seems a bit lame. This is "somewhat" a "realistic" game, I really would hate extremely overdone flashy attacks. (This ain't a Hack'n slash/Beat them up game)

Parco

the only way this would be in the game is if someone mods it, maybe you can do it? if this was a "addon" to the game, aka a mod, i wouldnt mind
other than that i would say no, i want to see the game the devs originally planned to make.

Xerxes

Insider
First of, this forum has a pretty good Community, I know "Fag/gay" is commonly used on the internet, but remember there might be people who get offended, keep it civil.

Weapons that can knock people down are fine, but things like "Hyper armour" and hurling big boulders at enemys and send them flying seems a bit lame. This is "somewhat" a "realistic" game, I really would hate extremely overdone flashy attacks. (This ain't a Hack'n smash/Beat them up game)
I don't know about you, but gay can mean cliched and shallow, not just homosexuality. No idea some one can be so easily offended and still go on with daily life.

Realistic doesn't mean it can't have fun factors. I don't see anything wrong with hyper armor, honestly. It simply makes it possible to use some of the larger weapons without being interrupted every few seconds.

In fact, in sg's trailer, the protagonists were fighting a big oger, it looks unrealistic when the gigantic flail only knock the players off balance than send them flying. When I say flying, I meant half a meter up or 2 meters back, not anything like in DMC or god of war.

I am just trying to give heavy weaponries more appeal in this game. If you want realistic, a two handed sword could cut any monsters in half in a single cleave. I simply don't see how that's happening. So devs need to come up with someway to get the weightiness of your claymore across to players.

Xerxes

Insider

here is a video by red rosie suger ( a famous member of dark souls pvp community), showing off her beloved upper cut build. Even though it's "realistic", it still looks impactful. I know this goes against SG's physics based fighting engine, but it is worth considering.

All modern shooters call themselves realistic shooter, but the only truly realistic military shooter is AMAR, which plays like a train simulator. I did't see how when I was playing doom, or quake and thought to myself if they were more realistic that would make them much better games.

Xerxes

Insider
For people who want realism in their sword play electronic button mashers, below is a great example of what professional sword fighting in real life looks like.

Their channel has some pretty solid stuffs, I wonder if BM can implement some of these moves into the game. It's nowhere near that level at SG's current early in development stage. I'm more than satisfied with realism as long as there is depth.

Komuflage

Insider
I don't know about you, but gay can mean cliched and shallow, not just homosexuality. No idea some one can be so easily offended and still go on with daily life.

Realistic doesn't mean it can't have fun factors. I don't see anything wrong with hyper armor, honestly. It simply makes it possible to use some of the larger weapons without being interrupted every few seconds.

In fact, in sg's trailer, the protagonists were fighting a big oger, it looks unrealistic when the gigantic flail only knock the players off balance than send them flying. When I say flying, I meant half a meter up or 2 meters back, not anything like in DMC or god of war.

I am just trying to give heavy weaponries more appeal in this game. If you want realistic, a two handed sword could cut any monsters in half in a single cleave. I simply don't see how that's happening. So devs need to come up with someway to get the weightiness of your claymore across to players.
That's why I put "" over realistic. I don't want a fighting sim, but not a hack'n slash either, and I agree, fun factors should be included, but I think we've different opinions on what's fun and not.

About hyper armour though, you can still use larger weapons without being interrupted, just need some extra skills, which imo is a good thing.

Liliha

Insider
I agree with above posts. Dark Souls is a good ref for the kind of "realism" I would like to see in SG, where its somewhat over-the-top in some aspects, but it balances it out overall (heavy weapons are slow to swing, etc). Love this community =) It seems I rarely need to post because everyone just echoes my thoughts on every topic.

MrIdontKnow

Insider
The only thing we've seen so far unless I'm mistaken is sword fighting and the force push which is named something else.

There's a possibility that you could apply stuff to weapons, eg poisons but I don't see them glowing. We hent seen any animated killmoves so far, that's also a possibility but again I don't see anything massive, simply because a killmove can be repeated many many many times over in 1 hour, killmoves are fine if everyone is different but we know that's not the case.

tiny lampe

Insider
Well, for starters, none of us have seen 2H weapons in action yet. They have been recently developed and Madoc stated that they would be featured in the next public video. It would be wise to wait until such video is released before thinking of ways to 'give 2H weapons more appeal'.

About 'impactfulness': the physics-based combat of SG ensures that weapon swings will have appropiate weight behind them. Indeed, the outcomes of a swing (how much damage it does, how much it unbalances/staggers the target...) are determined by the characteristics of the weapon. One such characteristic is weapon's weight. Hence, and all else equal, the heavier the weapon, the more 'impactful' it will be.

Xerxes

Insider
That's why I put "" over realistic. I don't want a fighting sim, but not a hack'n slash either, and I agree, fun factors should be included, but I think we've different opinions on what's fun and not.

About hyper armour though, you can still use larger weapons without being interrupted, just need some extra skills, which imo is a good thing.
In demon souls, heavy weapons are useless, because you can be staggered by everything. So, in dark souls, they introduced the poise system that let you tank some small hits without flinching.
From what I know, SG has a kind of balance system. If you take too big of a hit, you will fall over. You are hit in certain animations, you will loss your balance. However, that's not a very clear mechanics. There need some kind of numbers and facts that always works. If I can take a broad sword on the face this moment, I should be able to take it an hour later.

Fun to me means the game system does not get in the way of playing it. Good example would be witcher again. That game has tons of stupid designs that hinders players' enjoyment. I don't like motion controlled game for the same reason, waving my arms around is not any more enjoyable than just push a button. Part of games I enjoy are always the combat, the sense of achievement.

Many games have great ideas behind them, but their method of playing them is so utterly awful that people simply will get frustrated and give up. Players giving up their game is the worst thing game developer can face.

I remember two worlds and two worlds 2, they have a lot going behind them, but their controls are beyond tolerable. If I gave Witcher a 4 out of 10 for grading its confusing interface and clunky combat, two worlds would be given an 1, out of 100 if the game developer send me flower and chocolates.

The best thing about SG's combat is that it is stream lined. No need to finish the 6 week correspondence course and a 5 hour tutorial. I hope it's other systems can also be a bit easy to understand and friendly.

Xerxes

Insider
One such characteristic is weapon's weight. Hence, and all else equal, the heavier the weapon, the more 'impactful' it will be.
Here is the thing about hack slash arpgs, all of them are trying to be more visually amazing at the first glance.
There is good reasons behind that, people who enjoy dungeon crawlers are people who are not afraid of slow pacing at times and usually have a lot of tolerance for grinding.

To make the grinding fun, games either have to have the incentive to grind: best itemization system and skill system in the world: path of exile, or have the most amazing jaw dropping visuals and animations: Diablo 3.

If SG is a combat focused arpg like Diablo 3, (I don't think SG is going in POE's direction), the game need some thing simple and stupid to push onto player's faces. Gamers are simple creatures, just make the game do something players are liking but aren't expecting will make their heart pounding around in their chests like kittens to be drowned.

However, main stream games are doing this wrong. Impactful does not mean particle effects, ssao, tessellation, fluid physics, destroyable environments and overlong pre-baked animations. It means brutal balls to the wall bone-crushing trousers-tightening action.

Brutal doom is 1000 times more visually pleasing than Crysis 3 or call of duty black ops 2 or what ever these realistic shooters can ever be.

Just have a look at that, this gives people a lasting impression and let them know they are into a treat.
Can you say that is not something impressive? If SG has something like that, people will jump around all over the place for it.

Parco

i think its very clear, there are pros and cons by using a two handed/heavy weapons, heavy blows and wide range are the pros, low defense when attacking, even lower after hitting (leaving urself open and have to lift that heavy thing up again) and ok but slow defense while standing idle are the cons. if vs a normal fighter with a shield and a normal sword and you yourself is wielding a huge 2handed sword you can hit him long before he is in range to hit you and you will most likely knock him over, even if he is able to stand and successfully block the attack with a shield he would most likely have fractured/broken his arm thx to the immense force in the blow, the energy wont just be reflected away by the shield as it is in many games but instead the whole body will absorb the force from the blow starting with the arm wielding the shield, so the first hit with a heavy weapon will be a game changer. if you were to miss you would need alot of time to "recover" from your own attack in order to raise the weapon in a defensive position, and thats enough time for your enemy to slice your throat or stab you basically anywhere he wants. so the pros and cons are quite even, but its thx to the lack of mobility and defense that heavy/2handed weapons are barely used in wars. but because SG is mainly duels and not huge wars swarming with people (as far as i can tell) 2handed/heavy weapon will be viable as there wont be 5 people stabbing you while you stand there defenseless after your first attack. and by giving the 2handed wielder a invisible bonus shield/immunity to get staggered will just make it too overpowered so they would have to nerf the dmg, and then its basically the same as using a normal shield and sword anyway, the variation of different weapons would be meaningless.

Komuflage

Insider
In demon souls, heavy weapons are useless, because you can be staggered by everything. So, in dark souls, they introduced the poise system that let you tank some small hits without flinching.
I wouldn't say heavy weps was useless, rather you had to know how to use them, and if you knew that you would deal insane dmg in pvp.

The poise system in darksouls didn't work very well.
Just look at the video you posted (Post #9) he can just continue waving while taking multiple hits from small - mid sized weapon, you where pretty much a walking tower if you had enough poise.

Parco

If SG has something like that
SG is not something like that, as impressive that game is its still far different from the style SG is going. and even if it wont be "flashy" people will still pee in their pants once they see this game fully done. If this were to be another hack and slash game i dont think i would bother with it as im quite are bored mindlessly killing huge crowds of enemies with superflashy spells and ailities.

tiny lampe

Insider
Here is the thing about hack slash arpgs, all of them are trying to be more visually amazing at the first glance. There is good reasons behind that, people who enjoy dungeon crawlers are people who are not afraid of slow pacing at times and usually have a lot of tolerance for grinding.

To make the grinding fun, games either have to have the incentive to grind: best itemization system and skill system in the world: path of exile, or have the most amazing jaw dropping visuals and animations: Diablo 3.

If SG is a combat focused arpg like Diablo 3, (I don't think SG is going in POE's direction), the game need some thing simple and stupid to push onto player's faces.
You know, this post would make much more sense if Sui Generis had been marketed as a game that tries to refine the Diablo formula. The thing is: it doesn't.

1. Sui Generis is not a Hack&Slash. Quoting the developers:

'Sui Generis is not about running around killing hordes of enemies in order to collect experience points and numerous items. It is about exploring a world and being involved in major events there'

'Much of the time combat situations will be occasional yet meaningful. Few opponents can be dismissed as trivial'

2. Sui Generis is not about grinding. Quoting the developers:

'Though there are powerful items, even an old rusty sword can be effective in the right hands'

'There are no levels, but there is a more natural progression system based on skills and thaumaturgic powers'

'Actively training a skill through artificial repetition will not work, progression will remain gradual. This mechanic exists so that players spend more time playing the game and experiencing the world rather than performing repetitive tasks in order to achieve more rapid advancement'

Source:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis
http://www.baremettle.com/sg/about/

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.