My hope and dreams.

BigT2themax

Insider
One thing I find especially hilarious in skyrim's AI is the fact that if an enemy shows up, every single NPC goes to fight it. One of the funniest moments I've had in Skyrim was where I was in the middle of a town, and a dragon flies in and starts wrecking everything. Immediately, all the townsfolk started running towards the dragon and then they just started PUNCHING it to death. Seriously, they were just shopping or setting up their merchant stalls and such, and all of a sudden a dragon shows up and instead of running away, they all swarm it and punch it to death.

You gotta hand it to the developers, at least the AI had balls of steel.

Edit: Right, yes, we were considering the AI. Went a bit off topic there, sorry.. Rob, the system you've suggested sounds awesome, but for one thing: what to do when the player's not around? I realise one could just make the decisions by the AI more general instead of specific, but you say things like being ridiculed at the pub might happen and affect the AI's decision-making later on. Now, unless the player follows the NPC so that actually happens, how are these things going to be computed? I mean, it'd be impossible to have every AI make detailed decisions in the entire world all the time, that'd break my computer, and I'd like to be able to play this game. D:

How are the AI going to learn from their experiences if the experiences don't happen? Should the experiences just be chosen automatically if the NPC strays farther away and they despawn?

The complexities of making NPC's smart without being cheating jerks is a very time consuming and headache inducing adventure. You also have to realize what the information the npcs are being fed. It isn't visuals and audio but data. Hopefully with a world state and goal system for npc actions we'll see smarter AI. Like...
  • Goal: Want to Kill player
  • Condition: Player is in inaccessible house as it is locked.
  • Action: Burn the house down, with the lemons.
Then the other npc's trying to kill you could be like...

• Goal: Want to Kill player
  • Condition: Player is locked in burning house
  • Action: Block all exits by barring the doors and windows from escape.
Now to sneaking, there is a LOT of tweaking to make npc's not notice you when you are hidden just enough, especially with texture with invisible parts (bushes) between you and them. The bush could block them from actually seeing you even though the textured part of it is only obscuring 25% of your body so they just walk right past you even though if it was a human they would have sliced you in half. And then you could be completely invisible to a human player since your outfit blends in so well with the dark corner but since the npc is close enough he can see you regardless. I won't dwell on NPC behavior (sneaking, detecting you, combat) at all until we actually have an alpha or pre-alpha to try out though. Though I will freely ramble on about npcs behavior in regard to world goals like

• Goal: Stop wolves from killing my chickens
  • Condition: Wolves keep killing chickens
  • Action: Set traps
  • Action: Complain to hero about wolves and wait for the idiot to give you 5 wolf hearts, what in the world would you even want with a wolf heart? I guess the cat would eat it.
One problem How in the world would you burned down the house with lemons it well make no scenes . And (LOL) LEMON ATTACK!

BigT2themax

Insider
So, I poked my head into this thread again, hoping to see if people had come up with awesome thoughts or ideas for more complex NPC AI and behaviour, maybe come up with some situations where really complex behaviours and scenarios could arise from more simplistic AI bases, stuff like that.

Nope. Lemons. And they're pyrotechnic lemons, to boot. Awesome. :rolleyes:

stacey69

Regarding a first person view: not going to happen. Madoc said the game is meant to be isometric and that it'll stay that way.
Maybe modders can change it, but who knows.
First person no, i agree 100%. You must add a cross hair lock so you can move the screen by moving the mouse though. Pressing middle mouse to rotate a camera is a bad idea. Even if its only an option it is a must for a new game or it will feel like Dungeon Siege 3 and that has such bad unintuitive controls that it ruins the whole feel of the gameplay. Lots of promising games fail due to bad controls and no options to customise the game to your play style.

If your game is hit box dependent and having a cross hair aim is the main gameplay you have to make sure that key binds are super responsive and there is no delay because most people will rebind mouse 2 to camera look in a game of this type. If it is hit box dependent try adding a key that zooms in and tilts the screen backwards (via a customisable preset). Kind of like a combat key.

Also make sure to add a screen tilt that goes beyond seeing only a few feet in front of you. Mouse look helps this a lot and is not in many games of this type. Although the game is slow, a lot of gamer's will still enjoy the game if they can set it up so it does not feel so sluggish and awkward to move and look. If it feels intuitive when you look and move, people will become very addicted quickly.

Options for aspect ratio and field of depth help a lot and can change the way the game feels. Having a slow game will put a lot of people off and the masses won't be interested. Add plenty of options to change the way the game feels and you could be on a winner.

Good luck.

Watching the kickstarter video, seeing the amazing engine you guys have put together with stunning visuals and physics, I fell in love with this game. I really hope that this game will continue being developed even though it might not reach its kickstarter goal!

Anyways, I just thought I'd put my two cents of first impressions and hopes for this game, what I feel is lacking in other RPGs and so forth! So lets begin shall we?

• Modders. This is my biggest concern, will you allow your game to be modded by talented modders? I really hope you see the potential here, modders can come up with amazing things, it will most likely give your game a amazing lifespan. You never know what will come out of it, one thing is most likely certain though... It will be good things!
  • First person. It seems like you have been focusing on the top down, 3rd person kind of view. But will we be able to play the game in a first person view? I personally love RPG's in first person. If we were to be able to switch between 1st and 3rd person perspectives, like in the elder scrolls games for example, that would be really awesome. It may not seem like a big deal, but for me that feels the most immersive and best experience. When I saw the amazing textures and visuals even zoomed in, thats when I thought this game would be amazing in first person.
  • Different RPG elements I feel lacking in other games.
  • The biggest issue with open world RPG's today, in my experience, is the lack of depth. The world doesnt react or know you're there, your choices dont matter in the long run. I really hope you have a solution to the very static and lifeless worlds we see in most RPG's.
  • Owning your own *insert here*. In my case the *insert here* is a store, or a guild, where I chose myself whats to be done. There was once a mod for Oblivion called "Trade and commerce", which basically allowed you to own your own store. Why isnt this made more often in games? I'd love to be able to run my own shop, hire guards, find awesome loot and be able to sell it in my own shop. Seeing NPC's go by and browse my goods. Or maybe be able to start my own bandit/mercenary band. You can set up ambushes on traveled roads, find new companions and so forth. Maybe even change the whole flow of the game world because of your influence on it. Now thats something!
  • Stupid AI that doesnt react to your actions. Nuff said?
  • Combat! It should feel responsive and fluid, no matter how you play, if you are a sneaky assassin, warrior, archer or mage. With the amazing physics of this engine I have no doubt it will be amazing. And speaking of sneaky assassins, I hope you will be able to play as one and that you have a good sneak mechanic!
I think I've made most of my points now. And if not I'll post whatever comes to mind another time! I really look forward to playing this game! Thank you and continue being awesome, Bare Mettle Entertainment!
I disagree with first two parts exactly. Developers MUST concentrated on 3rd person kind of view (and i'm glad that they do so). It really hard work make world lively in 2 types of view, it's a lot of very hard work and its will be fatal error for developers, because with so small team and not very big amount of money it will be a failure and impossible task.
So, i'm glad that they do what they do :) It looks great.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.