Holy?

frakken

Insider
Hey there.
I was wondering if you, the devs, have given any thoughts about divinity?
It always effects the world wheiter it exists in form of a deity or not, it do create a depth to the world itself.
If you do decide to have a religion, I hope there will be some good lore about it. How the diety is worshiped/acclaimed or if it is Thaumaturgy.
I would like to have the opportunity to study/learn about it (i.e ingame books)

NoSoAna

Insider
I hope not.

Frankly, I find it irritating that divine intervention is treated more or less the same as magic. As the definition of a god is (s)he has it's own will, is outside the world and is powerful/can influence. The will is never portrayed. If gods are added, they should be erratic and vengeful. They should throw a lighting bolt when they want and where they want, instead of healing someone for xHP whenever a prayer "Heal light wounds" is cast. They should even throw a lighting bolt "just because", as the humans are not powerful enough to teach the gods proper behaviour.

Alternatively we can have books and a good lore and even temples, but no divine intervention. I would actually prefer it that way.

NoSoAna

Insider
Your OP reads very much as if you want the D&D style cleric. At least this is how I read the following sentences:
It always effects the world... How the diety is worshiped/acclaimed or if it is Thaumaturgy.
The rest of your text (lore, etc.) fells like fleshing out the post.

This mechanic god is the form of gods I absolutley abhor. I would not mind a few books and lore. Or the erratic gods.

But the more I think about it, the more I believe that it would only slow down developement, without having any substantial benefit for most players.

frakken

Insider
Im am not talking about clerics or that the divinity must grant the humanity any favors. I was just wondering if they want to have something devine and hope that they do anything else than like the rpg you mentioned.

If there are a diety and it is erratic and vendgeful, then it does effect the world. If its does not exist but some choose to worship, then the world is still effected.

NoSoAna

Insider
It is very hard for me to answer the "if it does not exist but some choose to worship, then the world is still effected." line. The developers seem to have a strong idea about their backstory, and are not forthcoming with details on it. So it may be possible that religion is integral part of world and story and quests; including the lore, the worship and the witch-burning.

However, if the world can stand on it's own without religion, they will have to consider how much effort they can put into making the world "deeper" before they start to sink.

I know SG is supposed to be low fantasy, but an effective feature used in Skyrim (taken from ancient myths) is the intervention of the gods (or demigods, deities, etc) in the affairs of mortals, in the form of the daedric quests. I think the drinking competition quest in Skyrim was probably one of the more fun and innovative quests in an otherwise un-innovative game. I think if SG had a good range of gods (from benevolent to evil, or jealous and spiteful), that could affect our character in some way (once again, not necessarily positively), that could be very good. This would be especially effective if the lore was consistent and interesting, as stated above.

I'm not sure if anything like this is in the works or even being considered. Have a look at the Grand List of Dev Quotes for more info.

If this were to be implemented, the gods should affect the character regardless of whether or not they believe in them (or pray, etc). Choosing a god should have noticeable benefits and drawbacks. For instance, you would gain the favour of the god in question, so they might help you out in a tight spot (hopefully not in a gimmicky way, as NoSoAna pointed out). Your affiliation with this god might also pit certain other gods against you (god rivalry, you know how it is :) ), and they might throw a lightning bolt your way every once in a while (or a better thought out consequence).

NoSoAna

Insider
Damn, I missed the most fun quest in skyrim - I reloaded after waking up in another city.

Unfortunately, the grand list has no entry for "god", "religion", "priest" or "cleric" so it seems it is either not part of their vision at all, or so central they want to avoid talking about it before the player has a chance to find out on her/his own, meaning they do not want to spoil the fun. Take your pick ;-)

They are certainly keeping parts of the game secret, especially the story and lore. So it's always a possibility. I'm just wondering if it fits in with their vision for the game. If thaumaturgy is fine, I'd expect gods to be considered low-fantasy as well, but maybe they just don't want to have that as a mechanic.

Prasse

Insider
I for one hope that there is divine worship in this game. If I have understood correctly this is a somewhat post apocalyptical world. In a fantasy setting it would be really fitting to have a connection to the gods in this event. Like why did they let it happen or maybe it was their doing, even if only hinted at. Also to let the player choose his divine belief at the start of the game and then not tell what it does is a great way of implementing gods. For example if you choose to worship, umm..., HASTNATIR. The devs put in a event somewhere that has a different outcome due to your dedication to this god. Since you as a player will not know this it would not make the divine as close and "in the world". And likewise maybe some gods you can choose to nothing since they are false ones.

Divine intervention need not be obvious, it can be subtle and only there to make you wonder if the amount of luck you had just now is just luck or maybe the hand of HASTNATIR. Simple bonuses that appear random or events that subtly play out differently is a nice way of keeping it a low setting.

NoSoAna

Insider
I don't think there will be Gods in this game, but there will be churches, its that kind of setting.
Possible, depending on what the developers want. However, as this is not an exact replication of anything, they can put in or leave out anything they want. Which may mean (hopefully), that churches, god-related lore and witch-burning is too much effort for the bit of additional deepness. Or maybe not. Or, as I wrote, maybe religion is central in the setting.

frakken said:
But this is a the gameworld thread, so I was mostly talking about the lore and not game mechanics :)
Well, of course lore can stand on its own. However, if at every corner someone yells at you to repend and embrace HASTNATIR, every village has a chapel or monastery, some players may begin to ask why HASTNATIR is not presented in the mechanics in some way: Like giving buffs for praying or whatever.

Tony

Insider
I find the idea of churches but no gods quite funny. :)
This would be an exact replica of our current world ;)

If they do add a God or gods to the world I hope they are sophisticated and well thought-out instead of the gods you see in most games. I don't want supposedly wise, powerful, godlike beings to have the intelligence and temperament of a jealous two-year-old. It is illogical for godlike beings to act in such a manner.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.