ASOIAF / Game of Thrones Discussions (Spoilers)

Speaking of Dany's counsel...The Grey Worm and that grill's love storyline..What's up with that? Also Barristan Selmy got killed off? What's up with that?

AND NO STRONG BELWAS??!!
The actor that played Selmy was upset about that as well, I just don't understand. How is the love story more important than the BEST KNIGHT from Westeros? A love story that didn't exist versus a dead character that is still alive..

When Tyrion has his chains smashed in the last episode, people think that jailer was Belwas. He had an arakh and he was working for the fighting pits. If that was Belwas, I'm pissed cause they didn't even try.

Pilluminati

Insider
I see where you're coming from. And I do agree, she is easily persuaded and acts too much on emotion.

However, Daenerys is still very inexperienced. She has still much to learn. Which is bad, but she's learning. I do believe she would become a great ruler with some time. And her emotions are in many ways her best quality as well. She cares so much about the people, about others.

Daenerys is not perfect, but she's the best candidate in my opinion.
If we're going with the best ruler for the people then yeah, she would most probably be the best. She would however not be very interesting as a ruler. It would be like a typical hollywood ending which is not what I'm hoping to see. Too stereotypical and I wholeheartedly disagree on her being smart @TwoPumpWarrior. She's just kind and that's about it. Petyr baelish now that would be interesting.

If we're going with the best ruler for the people then yeah, she would most probably be the best. She would however not be very interesting as a ruler. It would be like a typical hollywood ending which is not what I'm hoping to see. Too stereotypical and I wholeheartedly disagree on her being smart @TwoPumpWarrior. She's just kind and that's about it.
I just don't see her surviving the Dothraki Horde and coming out on top if she didn't have some sense in her. Granted, people can adapt pretty well if thrown into something, she embraced it and was even honored by some of the Blood Riders.
There's a number of examples that show she is capable. Everything just went to shit when she met Daario.

Pilluminati

Insider
I just don't see her surviving the Dothraki Horde and coming out on top if she didn't have some sense in her. Granted, people can adapt pretty well if thrown into something, she embraced it and was even honored by some of the Blood Riders.
There's a number of examples that show she is capable. Everything just went to shit when she met Daario.
That's the part I dislike. It doesn't feel believable at all that all those people would follow her and worship her when she can't even control her dragons. I've heard she's better in the books though.

I shudder at the thought. Petyr Baelish is a scary man, a dangerous man. I'm just waiting for the day someone puts a dagger between his ribs.
:)

WELL...there's a very interesting prophecy concerning Sansa and a Titan. The lady that foretold this has been like 3 for 3 in her prophecies. I'll go into spoiler details in a bit if you'd like.

Pilluminati

Insider
I shudder at the thought. Petyr Baelish is a scary man, a dangerous man. I'm just waiting for the day someone puts a dagger between his ribs.
Really xD? He's one of my favourites, not that I think he would be a kind ruler, but who knows what his goal really is :p

Scarecrow

Insider
:)

WELL...there's a very interesting prophecy concerning Sansa and a Titan. The lady that foretold this has been like 3 for 3 in her prophecies. I'll go into spoiler details in a bit if you'd like.
Well shit. I wanna know. If its a prophecy (even if she's been right before), then i want to know it. Cause it ain't a confirmed fact.

Edit:

@Pilluminati He's an awesome character for sure, but seeing him on the throne is the last thing i would want. I do want him dead though, eventually. He has it coming in so many ways. I still mourn Eddard Stark... God dang it Littlefinger.

Okay, I'll post the direct quotes with my interpretation below in spoiler:

All quotes are from the Ghost of High Heart who makes an appearance in book 3. She speaks with Arya and Berric Dondarion's group in exchange for a song from Tom of Sevenstreams.

"The old gods stir and will not let me sleep. (1) I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag, aye. (2) I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings. (3) I dreamt of a roaring river and a woman that was a fish. Dead she drifted, with red tears on her cheeks, but when her eyes did open, oh, I woke from terror. All this I dreamt, and more"

First, this is Stannis' shadow child killing Renly. Second, this fortold the death of Balon Greyjoy and ominous arrival of his son, Euron, following his death. Third, this is about Catelyn Stark being reborn from the life of Berric Dondarion.

"(1) I dreamt a wolf howling in the rain, but no one heard his grief. I dreamt such a clangor I thought my head might burst, drums and horns and pipes and screams, but the saddest sound was the little bells. (2) I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. (3) And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow"

First, this sums up the Red Wedding almost scene for scene. Second, this represents Joffrey's strangulation and how the poison was hid in Sansa's hair ornament thingy.

Three, now this is the big one. "Slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow."
The Eyrie is tucked away at the top of the hills where is snows quite a bit. We know Sansa is there but what about the giant? Do you recall Petyr's sigil? He uses a mockingbird as his sign but the Baelish house sigil is actually a Titan, which some might call a giant.
However, there was also a scene in the Eyrie where Sansa made a snow replica of Winterfell. When Robin comes along and throws a tantrum, Sansa gives him smack thus defeating him, a small boy who is a giant compared to a snow castle.
It's tricky for the last prophecy but I believe it hasn't yet come true

If I had access to the Sui Generis or Exanima story stuff, I'd probably be just as in-depth as with this series.
I love delving in and really piecing shit together. The only reason I know the stuff I know about ASOIAF is because of my 5 re-reads. And even now, I don't know everything but there's is a wealth of information in those damn books. Too bad it takes like 2 months to read 'em all, at least for me.

Currently, I'm trying to become well-read in Berserk but that's a completely different medium. There's so much depth and story in the illustrated panels that's way harder to piece together than some prophecies and words laid out in front of you. Analysis is already hard enough, but damn is it hard without official translations!

Scarecrow

Insider
Currently, I'm trying to become well-read in Berserk but that's a completely different medium. There's so much depth and story in the illustrated panels that's way harder to piece together than some prophecies and words laid out in front of you. Analysis is already hard enough, but damn is it hard without official translations!
Berserk is freaking great. Gotta get back into reading it, haven't done so in two years or so. Fun fact; the Souls series devs draws a lot of inspiration from that manga, being big fans themselves.

On topic though, I'm curious as to just how much the show differs from the books. Is it a huge difference between Game of Thrones (show) and A Song Of Ice And Fire (books)? Cus i know how annoying that can be for those who read the book first especially.

Berserk is freaking great. Gotta get back into reading it, haven't done so in two years or so. Fun fact; the Souls series devs draws a lot of inspiration from that manga, being big fans themselves.
Just started my first re-read for Berserk after the first movie went on Netflix. Quick note; the movies are okay, animation is straight ugly at times though. Would recommend to someone unfamiliar with the series. If you are an avid fan, you might have some issues with em.

On topic though, I'm curious as to just how much the show differs from the books. Is it a huge difference between Game of Thrones (show) and A Song Of Ice And Fire (books)? Cus i know how annoying that can be for those who read the book first especially.
The differences between show and book started out minimal and understandable. It's an adaptation after all, it will never be perfect. But the last couple seasons have really started moving in a different direction. The 'main' story is still intact I suppose. But you really have to know what's coming to look at it that way.

The most egregious differences for me have been concerning Dany's storyline. Book Dany is so much better on like every level than Show Dany. I could go into detail but that's where I get subjective about the series lol

Vold

Insider
I am also very disappointed with season 5. It is true that the series have caught the books for certain characters, but what baffles me is that the most of the 5th season is based on exactly those characters... which makes no sense. Also, they have changed a all the stories quite a bit, rendering them much less intresting... Anyways, I guess that I will have to re-read the books to really enjoy GoT. :p

A list of stuff that is pissing me off:
- Brienne (since she left king's landing).
- Jamie (since he arrived to king's landing).
- Sansa...
- Greyjoys (where are them?!).
- Ser Barristan's death...
Is he really dead?
- Missandei's love story (really?...).
- Davos's story line...
- Cercei (her story in the books is much more intresting).
- Tyrion (his story in the books is much more intresting).
- The night's watch... a lot of changes, important changes... :(

Last edited:

Don Kanaille

Insider
To keep up with the books and remember the various details, I recommend

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/

This wiki is about the books alone, so you don´t get tangled in any book-series diversions. Game of Thrones has its own wiki.

Also, a pretty good read for fans is this
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/ASongOfIceAndFire

and this
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/ASongOfIceAndFire

Regarding other ASOIAF media, I highly recommend

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-The-Board-Second-Edition/dp/1589947207

For regular players, it is just a really good strategy game. For fans of the source material, it doubles in very carefully recreating the war of the five kings, with accurate geography and various characters from the books appearing as generals and leaders. The balance is great, every turn is tense, diplomacy is vital and backstabbing (eventually) neccesary. You get battles on land and sea, manage resources, deal with harsh conditions and possible wildling raids. Even things like the strenght of your claim on the throne, your standing in the court and the prowess of your armies are represented and influence how your game turns out. And, in my opinion the absolulte must have selling point, nothing in the game comes down to luck. (you can add "battle luck" cards if you wish, but I strongly advise against that). It all comes down to your planning, your anticipation of what other players do and your skill at manipulating them. Even though the starting positions are always the same, games tend to turn out drastically different each time.
So, if you want the experience of leading one of the six great houses to victory in Westeros, this is your game. Or if you like ASOIAF. Or strategy games. Or having fun. :3

The only downside is that you really need to get six motivated people to play with you for an approx. 2 - 4 hours. Organizing such a group isn´t always easy. Sure, you can play with fewer people, but the balance won´t be nearly as good and the excitement of everyone being surrounded by rivals will be missing. For the game to reach its full potential, having six players is required.

Also, it´s only Westeros, so no Dothraki, no Slaver´s Bay, no Targaryen and no dragons. And slight continuity errors in that Ned Stark is
still alive, even though his death
is what set the war of the five kings in motion. Not that that ever detracted from the fun. Get six people together and this game will blow your mind.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.