Feedback (1/3): Bugs and Unintended(?) features

Zor

I've collected things I noticed during my last play through so that I could give constructive feedback. I've organised my feedback into three post. This is the first of those three and deals with those things I feel are incorrect behaviour or at least unexpected behaviour. The second and third posted can be viewed at your pleasure.
  • I can bypass the encumbrance limit by directly equipping weapons/armour. This seems to be unintended feature?
  • Golem statues disappear when they are activated and you exit/continue the game. I'm expecting this to be a known issue, but it is a big one?
  • Tokens for level 5 (spider, shield, etc) are only recognized when in main inventory, not when inside pouch in inventory
  • The token-requirement tiles in level 5, are not 100% consistent. the Three-Ribbon token is not required to pass some of the Three-Ribbon token-requirement tiles.
  • The (very) easy accessibility to level 6 (right from the entrance of level 4), kinda messes up the gear progression. The armour and weapons found at level 6 are such, that nearly all of the fancy armour and weapons found at level 5, and 5.5 ('Crossroads Sewers') are obsolete, if you visit those areas after visiting level 6, which is a shame.
  • While the 'see in the dark' helmets are brilliant, they do limit the later game helmet selection to just two options, because any helmet without this feature is simple non-viable in comparison.
  • When I equip a shield on Derrin his primary equipment selection, I cannot equip the same shield for him in his secondary equipment selection.
  • Derrin walks blindly into the trap-door pits in level 1 (in the physics puzzle maze). If he cannot walk accross planks, please don't just let him drop into oblivion to point this out?
  • Derrin does not 'know' when an enemy is on a level below him; which causes him to enthusiastically attack thin air.
  • I can grab the two-handed sword at level 1 in the locked cage, from the cage next to it. More generally speaking, I can pickup and drop and stuff from/into area's where I cannot enter yet, as long as I can see the area.
  • The wooden-handle War Hammer seems (a bit cartoonishly) oversized?
  • Falling (a long way down) does not injure the player character (this is most visible when falling down in the broken bridge in the new level (ruins, above ground).
Your lordship's most humble and obedient servant,
Zor

Last edited:

Parco

Thanks for the feedback. These are known issues, but i guess the devs just haven't gotten around to fixing them as other things are higher on the to-do list.
Some things here though are actually more intended.
The token-requirement tiles in level 5, are not 100% consistent. the Three-Ribbon token is not required to pass some of the Three-Ribbon token-requirement tiles.
That some of them seem broken/unfunctional at the start of the level is intentional.
The (very) easy accessibility to level 6 (right from the entrance of level 4), kinda messes up the gear progression. The armour and weapons found at level 6 are such, that nearly all of the fancy armour and weapons found at level 5, and 5.5 ('Crossroads Sewers') are obsolete, if you visit those areas after visiting level 6, which is a shame.
The golem area is also much harder than the crossroads, so it is a high risk high reward sort of situation to go there before getting better equipments from the other areas. And even if they are worse in terms of defense, they still viable in terms of style :p
Also if i remember correctly some armors in the crossroads has better pierce protection than the ones in the golem level, so they're not completely obsolete, more situational. Also they are lighter than the golem level armors yea? So for lighter builds they'll be a better fit.
While the 'see in the dark' helmets are brilliant, they do limit the later game helmet selection to just two options, because any helmet without this feature is simple non-viable in comparison.
There are other light sources too, the torch you get at the beginning for example. Some areas are better lit than others so night vision helmets is worse than the other "simple non-viable" ones in those circumstances.
I can grab the two-handed sword at level 1 in the locked cage, from the cage next to it. More generally speaking, I can pickup and drop and stuff from/into area's where I cannot enter yet, as long as I can see the area.
This is sorta intended, especially with the cages. That it can be done through barely open doors so the next room is visible could probably be tweaked, there is already a interactive blocks across most walls.
Falling (a long way down) does not injure the player character (this is most visible when falling down in the broken bridge in the new level (ruins, above ground).
Fall damage/environmental damage has been deactivated a long time now, it'll be implemented when its reworked.

Zor

Thanks for your reply!

The golem area is also much harder than the crossroads, so it is a high risk high reward sort of situation to go there before getting better equipments from the other areas. And even if they are worse in terms of defense, they still viable in terms of style :p
Also if i remember correctly some armors in the crossroads has better pierce protection than the ones in the golem level, so they're not completely obsolete, more situational. Also they are lighter than the golem level armors yea? So for lighter builds they'll be a better fit.
I do not agree with the assertion that the golem area is much harder than the crossroads. I can avoid combat with the Golems quite easily, and the other guards are not harder than most enemies at the crossroads. The blademasters roaming the crossroads on the other hand are much harder than anything (other than the golems) in the golems area. (all (partly) subject to opinion of course).

There are other light sources too, the torch you get at the beginning for example. Some areas are better lit than others so night vision helmets is worse than the other "simple non-viable" ones in those circumstances.
While the torch gives better light, the impact of carrying a torch vs carrying a shield/two handed weapons seems to be so much in favour of the shield/two handed weapon, that any improvement in helmet protection (by other helmets) is easily offset by the freeing up the torch bearing hand and a tiny bit less protective helmet, while still retaining effective roam-in-the-dark capabilities. From what I've read on both reddit and steam, this is a quite widely accepted notion; it could make an interesting poll, provided there are enough people frequenting these forums to have a somewhat representative outcome.

This is sorta intended, especially with the cages. That it can be done through barely open doors so the next room is visible could probably be tweaked, there is already a interactive blocks across most walls.
If this is sorta intended, then why is the cage locked (with the key in the chest some way further down) in the first place?

Your most humble and obedient servant,
Zor

Parco

I do not agree with the assertion that the golem area is much harder than the crossroads. I can avoid combat with the Golems quite easily, and the other guards are not harder than most enemies at the crossroads. The blademasters roaming the crossroads on the other hand are much harder than anything (other than the golems) in the golems area. (all (partly) subject to opinion of course).
Yea one can avoid combating the golems most of the area, and one can avoid combat with the blademasters too. But some areas you can't access without triggering the golems, and once triggered you risk others randomly activating too and golems are generally much stronger and faster than the blademasters. But either way, gear progression isn't too much of a worry for the devs since they want to build a world that is more "real" so to speak than just built up towards having a gradual progression for the player, aka being gamey. In Sui Generis for example you might be able to acquire high end armors relatively fast as well if you do the right things (stealing, killing, prior knowledge of secret locations, etc), so gear progression and such will depend on the action you take rather than a specific defined path you're supposed to take as the player.

While the torch gives better light, the impact of carrying a torch vs carrying a shield/two handed weapons seems to be so much in favour of the shield/two handed weapon, that any improvement in helmet protection (by other helmets) is easily offset by the freeing up the torch bearing hand and a tiny bit less protective helmet, while still retaining effective roam-in-the-dark capabilities. From what I've read on both reddit and steam, this is a quite widely accepted notion; it could make an interesting poll, provided there are enough people frequenting these forums to have a somewhat representative outcome.
True most tend to choose the helmet despite its lower protection, but also there is still another light source it seems you haven't discovered yet that allows you to have better helmet and keep the torch in your inventory. and there might/will be more alternative light sources (such as thaumaturgy)

If this is sorta intended, then why is the cage locked (with the key in the chest some way further down) in the first place?
Because it just is haha, i think most people unlock the cage before they realize there is a 2h sword in there, and from there on with that knowledge people can grab it through the bars on newer runs. Opening the cage might be the main intended way of acquiring the weapon, but just like with many other things in the game it doesn't mean its the only way of achieving the result you want.

By "a world that is more real" i mean that they want the world layout/levels to make sense lore-wise and be practical for whoever built the place and their purpose rather than it just being designed around for gameplay purposes.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.