Wounds, limps, and complete limb disablement

Hastur

it would be faster and you get the same result as going to the main menu and start again...
My post may call to confusion...When I say you, I'm talking about other characters, I doubt our character can be dismembered since he can come back to life hence the title "Sui Generis".

Hastur

Well dismemberment is just a gimmick..I think that's pretty clear, but some people might find it sweet and fun like me

Pengman19

I don't think dismemberment is inherently a gimmick. I think realistic implementation is key. Limbs should only dismember if the correct weapon and proper force is applied at the correct angle, which may or may not take successive strikes. This would be very rare. Wearing almost any kind of armor would make it even MORE rare.

The reasoning for implementation is to deepen the games immersion factor. Especially if dismemberment is not canned animations but very unique to the strike location (for example, some games that include dismemberment, the limb always gets ripped away at X location. If, rather, the dismemberment occurred exactly where you landed your blows, this would create a very dynamic implementation).

There's other arguments in regards to the necessity of implementing dismemberment. It is a very gruesome thing, and when you take into account real life examples of dismemberment, it seems--to a degree--a bit brutal to implement in a game. But should we shy away from the reality of this type of combat (swords, axes, etc.) and how the body reacts to receiving blows, no matter how rare.

To me, the world, environment, animations, and the physics, etc., is key to telling a story. When you tell a story, especially one that involves fantastical elements (e.g, thaumaturgy), it is important for all these other elements to be rooted in realism. It creates a more immersive world and makes everything else more realistic, more believable.

Eh, I like the concept of crippling/hobbling. I REALLY like the fact that you can't see enemy health bars/abilities, but it's also a mystery when they're damaged enough to die. Perhaps something as simple as adding blood/blood trails when moving? I don't think bleeding having a REAL effect on the character would be useful as it's already hard/realistic enough without bleeding to death with 1/4 health. Also, I don't think that using bandages mid-fight is realistic or fits the gameplay style of a realistic battle simulator. clicking a bandage to stop bleeding mid-fight is immersion breaking and only pushes an already unique experience towards homogenization with previously (and overly implemented) game styles out there.

This game deserves to be treated as a unique experience, and any muddling of that is a step in the WRONG direction in my opinion.

Again, using visual styles/blood/hitched movements of characters would be a great way to gauge your effectiveness and turn the tides in battle by simply rewarding your efforts with reasonable cause-effect.

As far as limb-severing goes, it would be AWESOME if that was used as a final-hit circumstance, but only with accurate and strong enough strikes to find weaknesses in armor.

I think it's completely realistic to try to stop bleeding/start bandaging in mid of a fight but that of course would leave you open to attacks unless you manage to dodge/block with a weapon but blocking would be significantly harder, especially with larger/heavier weapons, so would be dodging if your leg is crippled. For example you should first try to knock your opponent down or otherwise make it busy if you can't manage to kill it. And if you were to bandage yourself, you can't have weapons in your hands and you need time, possibly even more so when done with one hand, to complete it.

As for crippling, IMO if you were to cripple someone, the particular limb would become slower. And dismemberment, I agree with BeaverDreams, this should be a final-hit circumstance and as a result of an accurate and strong strike.

I would love to see this kind of thing to be implemented. :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.