The best features from my favourite games

Stahlin

Insider
Hello guys,

I would like to review some of my favourite games, and sum up my favourite features there. Maybe this will be some inspiration to Sui Generis.

1. Gothic

Gothic is a german RPG from 2001 and is my all time favourite PC game.

1.1 Environment
The key feature was a truly believable environment. NPCs would wake up in the morning, wash their faces, cook some breakfast go to work, play music in the evening and so on. Hunters realy went hunting, there are caravans (uh well, something similar) walking through the world.
What is important for me, Gothic had a believable economic system. If you play a game from the elder scroll series you will see almost no farms, no food production that could provide the world and so on which leads to the impression that you are walking through a fake world.

Bare Mettle said:
Believable fiction. Carefully crafted and researched so it feels authentic down to the smallest detail, the world of Sui Generis will draw you in and captivate you with its depth and complexity.
Bare Mettle said:
In Sui Generis you will get a sense that everything is connected and exists for a reason.

1.2 Hard start
When you enter the world of Gothic you are jsut a nobody. No one cares about you, everyone treats you like shit, every stupid goblin will kick your ass. You have to do stupid errand quests. But slowly, slowly you will progress going all the way up until you can make a difference in the world.
And Gothic managed to have an "open world" kind of flair, because you could go almost anywhere from start, but you always had to carefully check out your survivability in each area (and run a lot).

Bare Mettle said:
As you advance in Sui Generis you won't see creatures or characters in the world becoming more powerful with you*. Rather, you will be able to face opponents and explore locations that previously entailed certain death.
1.3 Characters
I can still recall all my favourite Characters from Gothic. And this game is 11 years old. Ask me about any NPC in a game like Skyrim: i forgot them all.
What made those NPCs so special? Well, they all appeared multiple times in the story. They weren't just standing in one place giving you Quests like "go to place A, kill moster B and get me Item C", but they were following their own motives, moving around the world, sometimes teaming up with you and (very important) had a good sense of humor (like the whole game).

Bare Mettle said:
Reactive characters. Characters and creatures do not have fixed roles. They will react to anything you say or do, how you dress and what tone you set. We're putting the word Character in NPC.

2. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (with AMK and Soljanka Mods)

2.1 Fighting
Well, as you know Stalker is a FPS, so you might ask why its fighting system has any relevance for Sui Generis.
Here is why: with the above mentioned mods, every encounter with any enemy could kill you. As soon as any bullet hit you,
- you were either just plain dead
- you would loose your weapon, and while searching for it on the ground, you would most probably get killed
- you would loose orientation, look into the sky, or the ground, and while trying to regain your orientation you would probably get killed

This lead to the effect, that before every encounter, especially with multiple enemys, you would have to make up a tactic, observe your foes, kill them one at a time and so on.
That was one of the most intense fighting I ever experienced in a game.

Bare Mettle said:
Death will not be hard to come by and carries consequences, and there is no saving and loading. The game will put you in situations where trying to get out alive may be your only concern. We believe this is important to keep the game exciting. What's a game if you can't lose?
3. Jade Empire

3.1 Story telling
Jade Empire was one of the few games, if not the only one, that ever really surprised me. You had your good, but basically ordinary story. The evil Emperor as your foe, and your old Mentor as a friend. You play a normal game, and after some time the final boss fight with the evil Emperor comes up. You defeat him.
As you are waiting for the credits to come and while thinking about which game you are going to play next, a major twist in the story appears.
Everything gets turned around, your old mentor becomes the new villain and you have to start all over again.

Well this might be hard to copy in an open world RPG without a linear story, but nevertheless, I like unexpected twists in the story. Friends become enemies, everything you thought was pure evil suddenly has understandable motives (a bit like Song of fire and ice) and so on.

4. Morrowind

4.1 Items
Morrowind had the best item/equipment system I ever saw in a RPG. I loved the fact, that there were left and right gauntlets and shoulders. I loved the fact, that you could wear an armor and also a robe on top.
I loved having weapons like spears, which is quite unusual.
BTW Spears (I can see one on the Screenshot below): Imagine fights in Sui Generis, swordman vs spearman. The swordman has to get past the spear, or maybe even could just cut off the spear (if the shaft was made of wood). Than the spearman has to let go the spear and change to a close combat weapon... Awesome!

* That really killed the Elder Scrolls Series for me. Especially Oblivion, but also Skyrim had a lot of autoscaling features. Basically that changes the genre to me from RPG to action...

I would like to add a game which is even older than Gothic: Silver. This thing is from like 1999 but its feature of mouse-movement based weapon-guidance i have not seen yet another time. Basically you could guide your weapon by moving your mouse f.e. from left to right, which is directly done by the character. This is probably nothing new but i loved this feature! It was so dynamic, even though there was no physics behind it.

tl;dr
mouse-movement based weapon-guidance would rock shit!

Pantheon

Insider
You mean Blade of Darkness? (Yours seems to be the Spanish title).
Yes, I have. I actually have installed it recently and started playing.

walltar

Insider
1.2 Hard start ... this is very important for me. I hate when i start game and i am allmighty hero who is destined to save the world. Id like to start as simple pesant with stick in my hand and no idea how to use it. I want to work hard to get somewhere, I want challenge not a mindles fun (i am starting to hate word fun) I want to get butchered in my first dungeon ... because loosing is part of the game it is something which make it more interesting. Oh and progress ... when you are riding your horse in shiny armour and then you look back and remember yourself in dirty rags with stick in your hand .. that is why i play games.

SergeDavid

Insider
1.2 Hard start ... this is very important for me. I hate when i start game and i am allmighty hero who is destined to save the world. Id like to start as simple pesant with stick in my hand and no idea how to use it. I want to work hard to get somewhere, I want challenge not a mindles fun (i am starting to hate word fun) I want to get butchered in my first dungeon ... because loosing is part of the game it is something which make it more interesting. Oh and progress ... when you are riding your horse in shiny armour and then you look back and remember yourself in dirty rags with stick in your hand .. that is why i play games.
I like you also enjoy the first dungeon death. Games now a days makes the tutorial part of the first 10 dungeons (50% of the game and growing larger as they add less game and more glitter) I'd rather have the tutorial its own little part like some grizzled old vet in an inn who'll teach you how to sword play for his liquor. The biggest challenge is inexperience which is shortly overcome and all following playthroughs will suffer from those handicaps given to less experienced players. As I understand the game with enough skill you could defeat a legendary knight with your dirty stick and a little magic. ;)

Stahlin

Insider
Skyrim has at least 15 farms...how many more do you want?
Okay, you might be right. Oblivion was worse. With the capital of an huge empire and lots of fertile soil around it, but basically just forests? Does just not make any sense.

I actually forgot most things about Skyrim (cause after a few days I spent more time looking for new mods, rather than just playing. Speaks alot for itself imo), but I cannot remember farms that actually looked like they could provide for more than just the farmers...

But it's the same with Gothic 2 and 3 I think. Gothic 1 had a truly genius plot for an RPG, because the plot explains every flaws most RPGs have, thus changing a gamedesign weakness into a strong story.

Large farmlands could be a good starting point for an adventure. Maybe fight of some giant rats (every RPG has to start with fighting big rats, thats just natures law), some small goblin who is stealing some food stores at night...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.