The beast and other huge enemies.

Akiner

Hey.

We all know here exanima require a lot of time and practice to get good. There will always be the RNG factor but you can surpass it with skill, better you will get better you will be able to do so.

when it comes to big enemies like the beast in the arena, skill almost doesn't matters, people may see it like a challenge, i don't. Because there is too much RNG and luck involved.

I don't want this fight to be easy, i just want to be able to use my skill, that the knowledge i have acquired after hundred of hours matters more than luck. Not sure if i im really clear here but i hope you get my point.

The biggest problem for me right now is you are still too slow, even if now you can move, turn and stand up faster. It feels like a small delay between your action and your character response. It's not a problem against enemies of your size but it become an issue for big enemies like the beast. You can't really dodge it effectively. You try to anticipate but by the time you move you already know it's too late.

i managed to kill it 2 times in novice (like most of you i said RIP to one of my master max lvl) And finally, got lucky enough to get a kill on adept difficulty. What i used to do when it comes to 1 vs 1 is trying to bait an attack and find an opportunity to strike, circle on the left side to stay away from his weapon. But it doesn't works for the reason explained above. Then, the last time i found myself alone with the beast, i was really low life and i said "f*** it" went (forward + mouse left) thinking i was already dead. It some how missed me 3 times and i killed it.

I know balance in a game is not an easy task. I just hope devs come out with something that makes this kind of fights more skill-based in the future.

These beast fights are fine in my opinion, it is a matter of footwork and the right gear.
I do feel slow at times too but I think it is more of a consequence than a flaw when you get hit by it's club.

Roryn

Insider
Aye, I love them, really. Of course you're going to get hit, though, by that huge club. You can duck some swings (it feels awesome), dodge some others (rarely), brace yourself against a few, but he's going to hit you a few times at least. It's hard to dodge because of the size of that weapon, and his speed. He may look huge and slow, and yeah he's pretty slow, but legs are longer than your and his steps take him further in combat.

I guess I mean that skill is a part of it; timing and opportunism and such, but he's a beast (as is suggested), and he's going to get everyone every now and then.

Gonna love ranged weapons and multiplayer against him!!

bobchaos

I find these fights aren't that hard provided you can end them fast. Polearms with high thrust value can do extreme damage while he's paying attention to your hirelings. Use the hirelings as a distraction while you go for maximum DPS. If he turns your way, you'll already have a decent clearance from him due to your weapon's reach, so give him a wide berth until he gets aggroed to your allies again then go back to poking him in the back.

It's hard to hit the head from behind but if you aim for upper back he should go down fast. I also found that shield hirelings get tossed around just as much as anyone but still take less damage, so they make for better distractions. If they have no shield skills, I've yet to find a good substitute, they don't use the polearms effectively and shorter ranged weapons put them right into the club's swing all the time :/

I find these fights aren't that hard provided you can end them fast. Polearms with high thrust value can do extreme damage while he's paying attention to your hirelings. Use the hirelings as a distraction while you go for maximum DPS. If he turns your way, you'll already have a decent clearance from him due to your weapon's reach, so give him a wide berth until he gets aggroed to your allies again then go back to poking him in the back.

It's hard to hit the head from behind but if you aim for upper back he should go down fast. I also found that shield hirelings get tossed around just as much as anyone but still take less damage, so they make for better distractions. If they have no shield skills, I've yet to find a good substitute, they don't use the polearms effectively and shorter ranged weapons put them right into the club's swing all the time :/
While you can end these fights fast, it is the same the other way, you can lose this pretty quickly. There is so much that could go wrong that will lead to your defeat or worse, the loss of your hirelings. I've also noticed you mentioned polearms but the thing is that the polearms with high thrust values are in expert levels unless of course you meant spears which worked for me a few times at least with the novice beast fight(all spearmen). Call me captain obvious but I think this is worth pointing out that the beast in adept has a shorter club than the novice one. It really makes you change the way you want to strike it down.

Last edited:

bobchaos

While you can end these fights fast, it is the same the other way, you can lose this pretty quickly. There is so much that could go wrong that will lead to your defeat or worse, the loss of your hirelings. I've also noticed you mentioned polearms but the thing is that the polearms with high thrust values are in expert levels unless of course you meant spears which worked for me a few times at least with the novice beast fight(all spearmen). Call me captain obvious but I think this is worth pointing out that the beast in adept has a shorter club than the novice one. It really makes you change the way you want to strike it down.
I did mean spears, but I wanted the post to remain somewhat accurate once we get ogre fights all the way to master level. You should try 2 shield hirelings, works great for me. On adept I'll usually have to finish it 1 on 1, but on novice it's not unusual for me to come out victorious with both hirelings still kicking!

Roryn

Insider
If you're worried about losing your hirelings, just alt+f4 if you think they're dead. They'll probably patch it so you can't do that eventually, but not before they fix dying by going over the arena walls.

C0rvin

If you're worried about losing your hirelings, just alt+f4 if you think they're dead. They'll probably patch it so you can't do that eventually, but not before they fix dying by going over the arena walls.
Madoc already added ceilings to every arena. The Ogre cannot launch you out anymore

Roryn

Insider
Well, at least 2 weeks ago. He posted the update on his Beam Channel
Ah. Well, that's good to know. I hope I notice when they fix the alt+f4 exploit, though...

I think for the ogre arena I'd have liked higher walls to go along with the higher roof. I love getting launched into the air, just not over the bounds of the arena.

But then again, that'd be pretty unrealistic. Might break immersion every now and then.

Well, I'll get thrown around like that anyway when we fight these huge beasts outside, whether in another arena update (though I imagine it's unlikely the outdoor arenas will feature any large monsters) or in Sui Generis.

Roryn

Insider
Oh also, I forgot to mention that alt+f4 doesn't work with your MAIN arena character (anymore). I found that out the hard way, after one update.

Satorii

I've found that charging it with a thrust and sticking very close while it takes a swing is a good way to avoid damage. The club just passes right over you. The bad part is getting its gross Beastsweat™ all over you. I mean sure, it's got nice washboard abs, but I don't think it bathes.

Akiner

thanks for all of your feedbacks guys. Looks like i was just overthinking it. You need to stay close, when you can, step back to give a bigger blow, make room for your teammate to fight.

Today i played 4 hours. got 8 kills in novice (5 in a row) 2 kills in adept, and 1 in expert.

[/url][/IMG]

In the middle of the fight my shield guy took the aggro and allow my dual wielding guy and i to do a lot of dmg. That makes me think it would be awesome to have a threat system in Sui Generis. Like you can hire people and have tank, dps etc...

next step, master.

========================== EDIT==========================

second try ^^

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.