Status Update

turtleman155

Insider
In my opinion I'd like to have some form of skirmish map where you can choose what character or monster you are, perhaps have some chests scattered about with weapons in them and allow players a type of skirmish mode using a map you plan on reworking for a prelude release as to cut down on development time.

It'd be nice to have some enemy slider amounts to mess with, this let's players really get into the game, derive more enjoyment, as well as damper any sort of negative reactions the fan base may have if inevitable delays occur on your release. See major games titles such as the Warhammer 40k series, by Relic. When you couldn't be bothered with the campaign you had the option of loading a map, setting the teams, and jumping right in.

Rogue likes such as Dwarf Fortress also have seed options, or old school First Person Shooters with bot counts.

Having some kind of playable version that allows players to explore a few areas as well as fight a seeded map (tailored by a few options for even perhaps indirect roleplaying, like a ghoul infested towns where you set high human survivors to team 1, ghouls to team 2, and player to well, sometimes you choose team 1 and sometimes you're choosing team 3 because you're an ogre or a skeleton pirate with two swords. etc.) would be a great thing to test and play indefinitely.

But as always it is the developers decision, and that's just my 2 cents.
sounds like extreme combat testing to me :D (and fun lots of it)

Last edited:

Tony

Insider
I'd be happy either way as long as we aren't isolated to a single room again. I'd also like some NPCs or other things that demonstrate more of the game mechanics that aren't focused solely on combat. Perhaps a few new skills we could unlock and test out. Some forms of thaumaturgy would also be appreciated even if it isn't in a complete state. Ranged weapons, dual-wielding, exploring dark areas with a torch in one hand and weapon in the other, some random objects to play with like a table with a bowl of apples on top, capes or other clothing with physics applied... you get the idea :)

turtleman155

Insider
I'd be happy either way as long as we aren't isolated to a single room again. I'd also like some NPCs or other things that demonstrate more of the game mechanics that aren't focused solely on combat. Perhaps a few new skills we could unlock and test out. Some forms of thaumaturgy would also be appreciated even if it isn't in a complete state. Ranged weapons, dual-wielding, exploring dark areas with a torch in one hand and weapon in the other, some random objects to play with like a table with a bowl of apples on top, capes or other clothing with physics applied... you get the idea :)
great ideas for testing and replayability :D

Scarecrow

Insider
For me as well, either way works. What I'm most interested in now however, since we already have experienced quite a bit of the combat, is NPC interaction and story/quests. I'd really like to see how this is going to be handled in the game. Doesn't need to be much, just enough for us to get the idea of how it's going to be. Testing out thaumaturgy would be cool too, and maybe testing combat against non-human AI's like ogres, ghouls etc (Or an enemy thaumaturge). As others also have said, I don't want to be confined to one small room. I do understand why this was done in the combat alpha though. Playing a bit with the skill system would be neat too.

turtleman155

Insider
a free form environment with random stuff they think should and would be fun to test is my say but yes it is ultimately up to the devs.

Tony

Insider
Oh, I forgot to add previously, multiplayer duels would be amazing!!! If these could be added to the next alpha release that would give you a chance to test out the netcode and see how SG handles it. If multiplayer is added I'd suggest to also add an option to show your ping and packet loss in the game (similar to the current FPS counter).

Leo

Insider
please don't make the same mistake as skyrim( execive amounts of dark caves and underground darkness) focus on the outside world and don't make a super dark game like skyrim caves or dark souls. I hate darkness in game's environment, is not appealing to the eye.
And no it doesn't feel scary at all.

Fawz

Insider
please don't make the same mistake as skyrim( execive amounts of dark caves and underground darkness) focus on the outside world and don't make a super dark game like skyrim caves or dark souls. I hate darkness in game's environment, is not appealing to the eye.
And no it doesn't feel scary at all.
You should check out Dragon's Dogma, they really made great use of darkness as both a game mechanic and a way to set the tone for a specific experience. I do agree with you that in most games dark indoor places are rarely ever done right, but with Sui Generis' glorious dynamic lighting system I can see a lot of potential for fantastic dark environments.

I feel it would work really well if your character had a light source on him (torch, lantern, magic item or spell) to see in a dark place as opposed to just giving the area a fake darkness that you can still see in without using any light source. When dark areas are done in that ugly murky way it really sucks.

lvk

Insider
Along with everything Fawz said, SG is also isometric. It's a lot more pleasant to light up and see an entire area than flashlighting somewhere in the center of your vision and you still have no idea where you're going, or what the area generally looks like.

It also doesn't help that traditionally, your light is always in the same direction you're looking, so you end up looking at the floor all the time, then you get shot by some archers in the darkness, and it just ends up being an unpleasant experience.

The underworld looks like it's going to play a large part in the game. I'm confident SG's going to get it right.

Scarecrow

Insider
The gameplay of Dragon's Dogma was so awesome! It did get somewhat reptetive after a while though, imo. A "sequel of sorts" would be really nice.

But i do think it's going to be quite a bit of darkness in Sui Generis. Like Ivk said, i think the underworld is going to play a big part of the game. And the underworld kinda has to be quite dark. Sui Generis also seems like a game with a rather dark and grim tone, and i think this is emphazised upon through dark enviroments. That doesn't mean there is no room for light and beauty however. As stated by Fawz as well, darkness can be visually appealing if done right. I'm also confident in Bare Mettle doing it properly. Darkness isn't necesarilly used for the purposes of being scary either, i might add. It can be used to conceal something, making it harder to traverse an area accuratly, or just set the tone.

I believe the idea of a free form environment would be very useful to interact with more aspects of the engine and be able to give some more meaningful feedback, if possible also seeing more of the character generation tools (assuming they are complete) would be helpful. I personally am interested in seeing the LAN functionality assuming it is to a usable state as well. In my opinion it would also be useful to see the character statistics pages and how that layout is planned (whether or not the progression of gameplay is available)

~Xalbrus aka Deapri

hannes77

Insider
Funny : i think all the cummunity needs to hold off for a couple of months is a multiplayer duel system for lans.

It would keep me busy for a wee while.

Personally I would like to check out some houses maybe play with the environment tools and world item placement etc. I tried to use the weapon racks in the alpha but was having some trouble with the Z axis orientation.

BigT2themax

Insider
So, seeing as how another month has passed, can we get another quick status update? I'm just wondering/hoping everything's going at least fairly smoothly, and I'm wanting to know if you guys are doing okay, and if any features are giving you difficulty. Also, is there any news on the video, or is the next build not quite ready yet?

You don't have to answer, I'm just curious is all. :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.