Multiplayer

Verva

First off, Hi :D

So... multiplayer? You can't say it wouldn't be awesome to have those combat mechanics in a competitive online enviroment, even if it is seperate from a main single player. But IN the main game, co operation and tactics between multiple players against these monsters would be very realistic (eg, "I'll a keep it distracted you sneak around behind it and take it out") and engaging.

I don't need to explain how awesome it would be, it just is. So can it/will it be a thing?

calithlin

Insider
The developers want to support online multiplayer, but depending on how testing with servers works out with them, that may or may not be a possibility early on.

However, the developers have promised at least a LAN connection type multiplayer is possible and a priority :)

CarChuckSG

I think the perfact Multiplayer is if you're inside cities, towns, ect you are pritty much safe from player and mob savagry. but once you leave the "safe zone" you're are as good as game for all the bandits and "Porkies" (ogres) out in the wilderness. you must stay safe from harsh weather, and collect recources like food, and water to sustain your survival while travling across the world of sui generis!

this would make travling even short distances difficult, but fun. In singleplayer and multiplayer.

Verva

Thank you for that link and thread, The Hedge Knight. Didn't see it there before...

So with that question answered I'm converting this thread into a "What do you want to see in multiplayer?" discussion thread.

Personally, I would love to have large dedicated servers where people can make their own realms for large scale multiplayer maps(Hundreds or more players). I feel like the roleplaying potential of this game would come to life in an enviroment like that, and the combat would be most fun (As if it could ever not be).

That said, smaller parties with friends (Either LAN or over the interwebs), taking on the harder monsters together definitely seems to suit this game well. It has a very personal feel to it in combat which would make fighting with friends a really engaging and fun experience.

There's my couple of cents, whether you wanted it or not. ;) Can't wait to get my hands on this game for real.

Err, just wondering something that I don't think has been addressed yet. Will there be a player cap for LAN multiplayer? And if not, how many d'you reckon an average gaming PC could host?

Komuflage

Insider
Err, just wondering something that I don't think has been addressed yet. Will there be a player cap for LAN multiplayer? And if not, how many d'you reckon an average gaming PC could host?
I really hope there is a cap :p 100players would just be sickly op :p
You have to keep in mind that it's not just the pc that determine how many player you could host for, you also need good internet connection :)

Well that was fast :). But I don't think 100 players would be OP, what are the odds 100 people would all be playing cooperatively. If you could find something to host a 50v50 battle, then why the hell not! Although, we're probably a a few years away from 50v50 in this game from what Madoc has said previously.

Parco

im picturing a cap of 10-12 players would fit the game good in battle arenas and 5-6 for coop. aka i hope this game will be suited for lan parties.

Pilluminati

Insider
No there shouldn't be any cap for LAN. It should be your own responsibility if the game becomes unstable/too easy.
In online play, of course. Not having a cap would negatively impact other players experience.

666jet

Insider
This is a feature I'm waiting for it would be epic if we could get as many as possible.
What are your thoughts on friendly fire?
And the loot system is it a who grabs wins case?

Scarecrow

Insider
Friendly fire should be on at all times, imo. My thought process around that is that there are no marked friendly players or hostile players. You are just an inhabitant of the world, and what you chose to do should be completly up to you. If your interest lies together with others, than you should be able to work with them. If there are others that means to work against your interest then you should be able to fight them. And even if you're fighting together with someone, i think you should be able to do miss swings, and cut your friend in the face, even if it is unintentional.

As for looting, i think it should be who grabs what first. This isn't an mmo, and its made as a single player experience from the ground up. In LAN, such game features shouldn't be different imo. And if ur on LAN, you should be able to comunicate with each other, split the loot fairly etc.

As for Player cap, im hoping for at least 4 players LAN. Im even fine with just one extra player, but hoping for 4 and above.

Komuflage

Insider
No there shouldn't be any cap for LAN. It should be your own responsibility if the game becomes unstable/too easy.
Actually u're right.
This should be the case for FF and loot etc. Why limit players in their options. If me and some friends like to play 20players with ff and "F4A" loot, were everyone will kill each other when "Sword af master doom" drops, then why not?

I'm pretty sure friendly fire has been confirmed as always on mainly because it's just how the engine works. You could get hurt by a barrel rolling down a hill or concussed by an apple falling from a tree (a really tall tree) in the same way that you get hurt if a sword cuts into you face. It doesn't matter who is holding the sword and friendly fire protection may not be all that easy to implement. Although, I'm sure if BM wanted a feature, they could make it happen.

BrecMadak

Insider
Well a game like SG probably won't have numerical difficulty (cheap difficulty) for each player joined into the world, and therefore I wish there would be nothing like Friendly Fire ever, not any option; since options always force players to go within easiest (where possible) way, blame humanity :p
Secondly, SG is a ruthless and non-friendly world it would be, and having a ff mode available would kill the immersion and the impact we would feel from the game imo. There must always be drawbacks for sticking together with an ally, just look at how Dark Souls managing rewards/risks balance.

BrecMadak

Insider
This is not true. If it was, then everyone would play on easy on every game. Which at least I and people I know don't do.
That's an idea, but then again why splitting people apart in a way that's against the philosophy of SG in the first place ? Granted, Madoc has already said that SG won't be cakes and ale on under several different topics.

Komuflage

Insider
That's an idea, but then again why splitting people apart in a way that's against the philosophy of SG in the first place ? Granted, Madoc has already said that SG won't be cakes and ale on under several different topics.
You won't really be splitting people. Since we're not all on the same server.
But if I have a lan party with a few friends, why shouldn't we be able to cutomize the game (to some extend) to what we prefer?

It's the same thing as I hope there will be difficulty levels. Because if it's not they have to balance the game to fit a certain type of skill level.

Let's just say that they want the general player to have a challenge. They'll balance it so the general player will have somewhat of a hard time with the game. However, people who are better than "the general player" will most likely have a easy time with the game. Then why shouldn't those players be able to tune up the difficulty to fit their skill level?

We can take Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 as an example.

Diablo 3 was extremely easy all the way up to Infernal, were it started to get cheap difficult.
In Torchlight you could chose, easy - expert. You could get a challenge from the very start, no matter if your skill level (to some extend)

Scarecrow

Insider
But if I have a lan party with a few friends, why shouldn't we be able to cutomize the game (to some extend) to what we prefer?

It's the same thing as I hope there will be difficulty levels. Because if it's not they have to balance the game to fit a certain type of skill level.

Let's just say that they want the general player to have a challenge. They'll balance it so the general player will have somewhat of a hard time with the game. However, people who are better than "the general player" will most likely have a easy time with the game. Then why shouldn't those players be able to tune up the difficulty to fit their skill level?

We can take Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 as an example.

Diablo 3 was extremely easy all the way up to Infernal, were it started to get cheap difficult.
In Torchlight you could chose, easy - expert. You could get a challenge from the very start, no matter if your skill level (to some extend)
The skill level in SG seems to be a bit different however. As you said, lets say they want the general player to have a challenge. More skilled players would possibly find that to be easy. However, SG seems to be a large world with very varying difficulity. As Madoc has stated: Just because something is there doesnt mean you will be able to beat it (Or something along those lines). I think this was stated in my "Daemons, Demons and Dragons... And the likes of it" thread by him. The feeling i get from this is that the difficulity in the game is more determined by where you are, and what you're up against.
Some players may never be able to defeat anything more dangerous than an Ogre alone (which seems to be quite the challenge in of it self), while others may strive to defeat the most dangerous things the SG world has to offer.

This is the way i hope its going to be at least, and its kinda the feeling i get from reading through what the devs have stated. Adding a difficulit slider or option is something i do not like, as it generally just change the hp and damage of you and your enemies, which in my opinion is a cheap way of adding or withdrawing difficullity.

BrecMadak

Insider
Well where SG's spirit will get alive is probably at combat in terms of challenge I believe, where one would unlikely get used to the attacker's stereotypical moves like every other games, even in DS series. And I certainly want SG's audiance to be catered with hardcore players, and that's why we talk these issues, just to be sure of what the outcome will ever be like. And about difficulty levels matter, don't remember any dev talking about this explicitly, not even mentioning there will be one, only 'maybe's as far as I remember ?
I for one don't like it SG having different range of difficulties to choose and start from, that would kill the purpose of demonstration SG presents honestly. The point what I really like about is the strict attitude BM shows by not being compromising and softhearted.

For these reasons BM shouldn't already be worry about setting difficulty standarts with 'what if's, 'incase's etc. And from words of Madoc, this is not the case to be worried already which is pretty clear I assume of.

Sorry but this not a simple thing to say as 'customization' dude and you know that ! :p Just dream the humongous difference if DS ever had FF off between summons and summoners. Summoner would had to think for the second time, or third even fourth since there would be world of differences in invasions.

And second but not least, again on same game but different example; imagine if DS would have difficulty levels to choose from, would it be same with the game as of now named as 'Dark/Deamon's Souls' ?
Would it have the same impact on marketing and on players as of now ? Just think :p

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.