Item Descriptions

I just had an idea about Item Descriptions that I thought I'd share. Will item descriptions be affected by events in the game?

What I mean is, will there be any kind of "physical record" of events in the game that can be conveyed by item descriptions or inspection. So, for example, if you were to find a sword with someone's name scratched into it it would initially just say "A sword custom made for John Smith, whoever that is...". But when you meet John Smith and he tells you it's his it changes to "A sword custom made for John Smith, the master thief from the great city." And then, if you kill him, it would say "A sword custom made for John Smith, the master thief you killed from the great city."

The idea is pretty pointless and trivial if you use it in this sense. But, if AI can inspect things in the same way and infer meaning from it, it opens up gameplay opportunities. Think of this scenario, you break into a wealthy merchants home, kill him, and loot the poor guy's house. The weapon you use is old well-known thief John Smith's (you haven't killed him in this scenario). You don't have enough inventor space to carry the merchant's antique powerful weaponry, so you leave John Smith's sword on the scene and leave. The authorities ask neighbors about the night, and they recall seeing you. But, then they find John Smith's sword, clearing your name. But John Smith knows it was you. And he wants revenge...

I could go on all day.

Also, it might be nice to a screenshot of inspection in action? (pretty please)

Komuflage

Insider
I just had an idea about Item Descriptions that I thought I'd share. Will item descriptions be affected by events in the game?

What I mean is, will there be any kind of "physical record" of events in the game that can be conveyed by item descriptions or inspection. So, for example, if you were to find a sword with someone's name scratched into it it would initially just say "A sword custom made for John Smith, whoever that is...". But when you meet John Smith and he tells you it's his it changes to "A sword custom made for John Smith, the master thief from the great city." And then, if you kill him, it would say "A sword custom made for John Smith, the master thief you killed from the great city."

The idea is pretty pointless and trivial if you use it in this sense. But, if AI can inspect things in the same way and infer meaning from it, it opens up gameplay opportunities. Think of this scenario, you break into a wealthy merchants home, kill him, and loot the poor guy's house. The weapon you use is old well-known thief John Smith's (you haven't killed him in this scenario). You don't have enough inventor space to carry the merchant's antique powerful weaponry, so you leave John Smith's sword on the scene and leave. The authorities ask neighbors about the night, and they recall seeing you. But, then they find John Smith's sword, clearing your name. But John Smith knows it was you. And he wants revenge...

I could go on all day.

Also, it might be nice to a screen shot of inspection in action? (pretty please)
I like the idea of the item description changes. However, I'm not keen to it changing depending on what you do.

For instance that the sword start out with "A sword custom made for John Smith, whoever that is..." and changing to "A sword custom made for John Smith, the master thief from the great city." if you get to know mr smith. That's good.

But that the description changes to "A sword custom made for John Smith, the master thief you killed from the great city." not so much.

It shouldn't directly include you.

However, perhaps if you use the sword in a specific fight (Not an ordenary, but a major event in the game) the description might change (But again, not directly including you)

The description of the mr smiths sword, would change to something like.
"A sword used in the great war of Terina. Once belonged to the great Hero, John Smith".

I see where your coming from. But I was thinking that descriptions would be different for everyone. So on multiplayer, it would only ever include what the player knows. So it's from the inspector's perspective. Like what they are thinking when they look at it, rather than what the object is.

I see what you mean though. It would make it seem a little personal. Anything involving you that the character knows about, you know about. So it may not be necessary. The main function of dynamic descriptions would be making investigation possible.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.