[ISSUE]Help, Strange Noises in game

Midcal9

Sorry if irrelevant, but it is a gpu whine. You can easily solve this by limiting your in-game FPS via some external program like RTSS or any other that suits you.

Either that or you can also turn on V-Sync which in my opinion is tiny bit worse hence the input lag.

Gpu whine in my experience is caused by too much FPS (300+ values usually), but its not consistent game-to-game since i can get 500+ in some other titles (CS:GO for example) and gpu does just fine.

Anyway, hope this helps, cheers ;)

P.S. I usually limit my games at 100 so i dont see as much tearing (I have 60Hz monitor).
If you have 120-144Hz you should probably set it to 180-200 or so, so that tears get removed faster.
He get roughly 150fps on averege, a bit higher than I do. But hey, maybe you're right.

He get roughly 150fps on averege, a bit higher than I do. But hey, maybe you're right.
Oh, well, my bad not watching the video itself.Still the post really sounded like the problem me and my friend had.

Well i guess then its about how much GPU is being stressed.

A friend of mine had this one coming from his GTX780 as well as 1080Ti.(We checked this thing as well on his new rig)
The whine sound almost drove him mad and he even started hearing this one in other games when there was nothing really going on.

My rig on the other hand (i3 + gtx750ti) had this sound coming from headphones and it was so faint i really noticed nothing until i played in utter silence at night, so i guess the thing varies, but pretty much if your GPU is stressed enough you'll have to call the local priest.

Also the thing i noticed is that gpu VRAM modules really heat up when playing Exanima(and some other Unity title as well) without the FPS limit. Maybe something is(was?) wrong with VRAM management or something, or maybe its just the way it is supposed to be. Game really is reaching for every drop of juice there is and its certainly a good thing.

Also to the OP:
Try turning supersampling off and use only HW antialiasing. Theese as i know are just 2 different ways of the same thing, but good old MSAA is still better than SSAA. So youll be drawing less power from your GPU while still having antialiasing going on.

Tony

Insider
Also to the OP:
Try turning supersampling off and use only HW antialiasing. Theese as i know are just 2 different ways of the same thing, but good old MSAA is still better than SSAA. So youll be drawing less power from your GPU while still having antialiasing going on.
The in-game SS is not the same thing as HW AA. The in-game SS improves things like smoothness of objects in motion as well as doing AA and so generally it's better to use SS and disable HW AA (if your rig can handle it and you want the best visuals possible).

If the OP is trying to reduce the coil whine then yes, it may help to experiment with the in-game settings and also trying different FPS limits like I previously mentioned.

The in-game SS is not the same thing as HW AA. The in-game SS improves things like smoothness of objects in motion as well as doing AA and so generally it's better to use SS and disable HW AA (if your rig can handle it and you want the best visuals possible).

If the OP is trying to reduce the coil whine then yes, it may help to experiment with the in-game settings and also trying different FPS limits like I previously mentioned.
What i meant about them being the same thing is that theese 2 are different methods of antialiasing(thing). And yes, you're right - they are different in a way of implementation, i just wanted to say that it wont hurt reducing some load on GPU side is all.

Correct me though if it is not SSAA in which case i'm terribly wrong here.

Tony

Insider
What i meant about them being the same thing is that theese 2 are different methods of antialiasing(thing). And yes, you're right - they are different in a way of implementation, i just wanted to say that it wont hurt reducing some load on GPU side is all.

Correct me though if it is not SSAA in which case i'm terribly wrong here.
Like I previously mentioned, the in-game supersampling in Exanima does more than simply anti-aliasing such as smoothing out objects during motion which does not occur if you disable the in-game SS and use HW AA instead. The in-game SS option doesn't function like typical SSAA you see in most games; Madoc designed it to include many benefits/improvements and it is superior to using other forms of anti-aliasing.

Midcal9

Like I previously mentioned, the in-game supersampling in Exanima does more than simply anti-aliasing such as smoothing out objects during motion which does not occur if you disable the in-game SS and use HW AA instead. The in-game SS option doesn't function like typical SSAA you see in most games; Madoc designed it to include many benefits/improvements and it is superior to using other forms of anti-aliasing.
With all due respect, but I don't see any huge differences between the lowest and ever bestestest configurations. I guess it means the game is awesome because I like it on all settings.

however, it might be caused by my crappy office grade monitor, I'll test it on a much better one soon.

Last edited:
Well, that's good to know, because I struggled to understand why those 2 were separated.

With all due respect, but I don't see any huge differences between the lowest and ever bestestest configurations. I guess it means the game is awesome because I like it on all settings.

however, it might be caused by my crappy office grade monitor, I'll test it on a much better one soon.
Same here playing 1366x768. My friend has 1080p and even there its several times better.
And supersampling on his is much more noticeable.
I still think it has nothing to do with coil whine or his GPU, it's sound software related.
Locking FPS should help.

Zoltan

Supporter
Well, I have uninstalled the sound drivers and reinstalled, deactivated everything but that Sound Device and there are no noticeable changes.

As for the frame rate, I have enabled vsync thus limiting my framerate, noise is still present but with a different pitch.

Only SS have a strong impact on the noise level, setting it to off lowers it noticeably.

I am afraid that I will have to live with that noise in Exanima, I doubt anybody in Baremettle will do support for that kind of isolated "cosmetic" issue.

I could buy a Soundcard but that defeat the the purpose of my investment in a motherboard with "fancy" audio, so it will likely never be the case, especially this is noticed only in this game.

Thank you all for the help provided.

Well, I have uninstalled the sound drivers and reinstalled, deactivated everything but that Sound Device and there are no noticeable changes.

As for the frame rate, I have enabled vsync thus limiting my framerate, noise is still present but with a different pitch.

Only SS have a strong impact on the noise level, setting it to off lowers it noticeably.

I am afraid that I will have to live with that noise in Exanima, I doubt anybody in Baremettle will do support for that kind of isolated "cosmetic" issue.

I could buy a Soundcard but that defeat the the purpose of my investment in a motherboard with "fancy" audio, so it will likely never be the case, especially this is noticed only in this game.

Thank you all for the help provided.
"Don't run the audio from you're monitor to the speakers. Connect the speakers directly to the audio jack on you're computer. "

"I changed my audio output (realtek onboard optical out) to 24 bit 48khz (default is 16 bit 48khz), and problem gone!"

Two more things to try here.
Also, is your ground okay?

I had my microphone all buzzing a while ago because of bad ground.

P.S. "This often happens when wires are too close to the videocard, most often the audio wires leading to the front panel jacks...

Open your case, check to make sure the card is seated properly and then look for any wires that are close to the videocard -or- close to the "power" leads going to the card itself, and move them away..."

1 more for ya.

Last edited:

Zoltan

Supporter
ThreeSixNine said:
"Don't run the audio from you're monitor to the speakers. Connect the speakers directly to the audio jack on you're computer. "
My headset is connected to the computer directly.

ThreeSixNine said:
"I changed my audio output (realtek onboard optical out) to 24 bit 48khz (default is 16 bit 48khz), and problem gone!"
Does not change the noise when lowering the setting, but bringing it higher than 24bit 48Khz bring stuttering & freezes in Exanima.

ThreeSixNine said:
Also, is your ground okay?
That would cause noise to be present permanently not only Exanima.

ThreeSixNine said:
P.S. "This often happens when wires are too close to the videocard, most often the audio wires leading to the front panel jacks...

Open your case, check to make sure the card is seated properly and then look for any wires that are close to the videocard -or- close to the "power" leads going to the card itself, and move them away..."
Headset connected at the dedicated headphone Jack on backplate of motherboard.
My power cable could not run further apart than that unless I bring my power supply out of the PC case :)

Thanks for the suggestions ThreeSixNine.

Zoltan

Supporter
Well I have found a solution to reduce the noise to near nothing.

Raised my main Windows (Speakers) device volume to 100%
Raised the Exanima Audio Volume to maximum
Lowered my headset volume knob to minimum.

Normally I never have my main volume at that level, most often around 30%

Midcal9

Well I have found a solution to reduce the noise to near nothing.

Raised my main Windows (Speakers) device volume to 100%
Raised the Exanima Audio Volume to maximum
Lowered my headset volume knob to minimum.

Normally I never have my main volume at that level, most often around 30%
This is like the most rudimentary and easy to apply solution I have ever heard. Although, I doubt you have actually fixed the issue, you simply omitted it. Regardless of your volume level your game should not make this sound.

Zoltan

Supporter
This is like the most rudimentary and easy to apply solution I have ever heard. Although, I doubt you have actually fixed the issue, you simply omitted it. Regardless of your volume level your game should not make this sound.
Indeed, but what I can't hear or see don't bother me :D

My headset is connected to the computer directly.

Does not change the noise when lowering the setting, but bringing it higher than 24bit 48Khz bring stuttering & freezes in Exanima.

That would cause noise to be present permanently not only Exanima.

Headset connected at the dedicated headphone Jack on backplate of motherboard.
My power cable could not run further apart than that unless I bring my power supply out of the PC case :)

Thanks for the suggestions ThreeSixNine.
Glad to help man. Things like that can be frustrating as hell, but at least you have a workaround now.
Smooth slaying to you, sir! :cool:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.