Is the Dungeon really a dungeon?

So, I've played the game for quite a while now, and I'm starting to wonder if this dungeon truly is a dungeon. It's dark and has prison cells on level 1-2. That all we really have for the dungeon part. The rest of the castle seems to be a hospital/asylum/ward and general living quarters.

The Hospital/asylum/ward area seems to be split into the first level being the "insane" and test subjects(perhaps even something else as evidenced in the trailer by the room full of bodies and table while in-game it's empty)

These living quarters don't seem to have any indication of being for guards only, just that they were stationed there recently.

As for the prison cells, First level seems to be a basic prison with a courtroom type area. Same with the second level. Not much of dungeon if you ask me.

It never was a dungeon, it is the underworld, imagine a race of humans that lived underground,I am sure the upcoming content will show that even more, which is what Madoc emphasised in his post. If u noticed the team have never called it a dungeon, they always called it the underworld.

ZaratanCho

Insider
Yes, it is more like a city. There is also some good stuff in a couple of the parchments, the older ones. Of course they are not making some random dungeon, a generic environment to just explore and kill things. It's all in line with the lore though improvements to the first level especially are coming to get it closer to what it should be. There are a lot of rooms indicating things, crafting, smithing rooms etc. And there has obviously been fighting, between who is yet unknown and that has been very long ago, the undead around are much more recent surely(skeletons should be older but who knows). Probably many different people have been through there during the years. When, why and how it all started is probably a question very, very hard to answer even after SG. And surely not a clear answer at all.

Also will be interesting to see further content since the deeper you go the stranger it is and the more it diverges from the 'normal' world. Meeting other Npc's, maybe ghouls and of course Sir will be interesting. And a lot more lore.

OddSpierce

It's a dungeon in the sense of an RPG dungeon, but by that definition any semi-abandoned area can be a dungeon so long as there are enemies throughout and a "boss"/loot at the end.

In context of your question, however, I think we're all in agreement that it's not a dungeon in the medieval sense. It's just a place where people used to live; where they went about their days fulfilling their roles in society. Then some catastrophic thing happened, most likely a disease of the magical variety (my own conjecture), and now those that were lucky died, and what was left became the enemies we fight today. The real question that should be asked is
how the Ogre got there, and why is he/she just hanging around instead of moving on to a place with a better food supply?

Reactions: Guy

SergeDavid

Insider
If it wasn't for this tasteless air I could almost fool myself into thinking I was back home. Far off each gust of win slowly builds itself up into a wave upon the tops of the swaying wheat. Slowly rolling across the country side towards me upon this shoreline against a sea of farmland. It builds up as it gets closer until the wind gently crashes against the tree tops as the rustling of leaves marks each waves passing. It's been too long since I left home to seek my fortune. Too long since I last saw Mari. A gruff voice from behind me calls out to get back to work. Before I can turn around he's off again to round up the rest of the workers. I let the breeze lap against my back wishing it was the surf before steeling my heart for the work ahead.

I'm not sure what to call this place, it's not what I would call a castle from the stories I've heard of princes and princesses. At first I thought it was, this level where guests might see still has all the fancy pictures and draperies you might expect from building of brick and stone. However where we go there is no niceties. Basic tables, basic chairs, and only enough torch light to be getting on with. At first it sounded great with three pieces of silver a day with two free meals and a bed to sleep on. All I have to do is copy faded scrolls onto new leafs of paper and the occasional moving of supplies. However I can't shake the feeling of unease at night, nor why some people just get up and leave before the crack of dawn without a word.

It happened again last night, another one of the scribes have disappeared. I can't help but worry about what might happen to me if I stay here. There's something they're not telling us. Lately I've found myself returning to this little retreat of mine near the kitchens. The sky is so bright it's almost dazzling after so much time inside those stone walls. However as if my thoughts could manifest themselves there hung a shadow over the world darkening everything even in the bright sunlight. The ocean waves of wheat stretching out before me are now shades of golden brown. The wind which before was pleasant now fought itself upon the fields. The wheat roiled and clashed as gusts of win flight each other and then crashed against the line of three's that surrounded me. It felt like a storm was brewing, one that would wash away everything.

The first I heard of it was the rush of feet as many guards rushed by to the lower levels. Commanding yells from officers directing their men to hold them back. I can hear the clash of swords as I rush after them. The smell of blood reaches my nose as I'm about to turn another corner when the sounds of battle suddenly stop. Beyond that corner laid a sight that brought me up short. Bodies and blood laid everywhere in front of the broken and mangled remains of a heavy oak door and beyond that was an unearthly glow. I've butchered animals back home so I thought I was use to blood and guts, but seeing humans like this. Acid filled my mouth as my body rejected what laid before me. Shaking violently my body collapsed with a wave of vomit gushing out of me to mingle with the blood soaked floor. Again and again I was powerless against the convulsions that wracked my body. Finally with trembling feet I proceeded further until I was face to face with that sickly blue portal. I dunno why I stretched out my hand but the second it touched it's surface my whole body was pulled in.

The renewed sounds of fighting brought me back from my stupor. The room had changed and instead of the hall of death and sick beyond it was now a massive wooden table with wounded men in armor being treated by frantic hands. It was flanked by two stone pillars and beyond that a door that lead out to a brightly lit room where the fighting was in earnest. A man in full armor wielding a pike walked up to me from the side, "Go back and tell them we will hold the line boy. I will take care of their slip up." Then the portal swallowed me up again and I was back on the other side. What in the world is going on here?

Probably a bit off track and I have no idea if it fits with the lore at all but hey after writing the first rendition of the opening paragraph I didn't want to let it go to waste. Just think of it as my subtle idea on the back story behind it as I decide if I want to write a part 2 where he goes back in. I really need to read these in game scrolls so I can actually have some lore to tie it into the plot.

Mertek98

Insider
If it wasn't for this tasteless air I could almost fool myself into thinking I was back home. Far off each gust of win slowly builds itself up into a wave upon the tops of the swaying wheat. Slowly rolling across the country side towards me upon this shoreline against a sea of farmland. It builds up as it gets closer until the wind gently crashes against the tree tops as the rustling of leaves marks each waves passing. It's been too long since I left home to seek my fortune. Too long since I last saw Mari. A gruff voice from behind me calls out to get back to work. Before I can turn around he's off again to round up the rest of the workers. I let the breeze lap against my back wishing it was the surf before steeling my heart for the work ahead.

I'm not sure what to call this place, it's not what I would call a castle from the stories I've heard of princes and princesses. At first I thought it was, this level where guests might see still has all the fancy pictures and draperies you might expect from building of brick and stone. However where we go there is no niceties. Basic tables, basic chairs, and only enough torch light to be getting on with. At first it sounded great with three pieces of silver a day with two free meals and a bed to sleep on. All I have to do is copy faded scrolls onto new leafs of paper and the occasional moving of supplies. However I can't shake the feeling of unease at night, nor why some people just get up and leave before the crack of dawn without a word.

It happened again last night, another one of the scribes have disappeared. I can't help but worry about what might happen to me if I stay here. There's something they're not telling us. Lately I've found myself returning to this little retreat of mine near the kitchens. The sky is so bright it's almost dazzling after so much time inside those stone walls. However as if my thoughts could manifest themselves there hung a shadow over the world darkening everything even in the bright sunlight. The ocean waves of wheat stretching out before me are now shades of golden brown. The wind which before was pleasant now fought itself upon the fields. The wheat roiled and clashed as gusts of win flight each other and then crashed against the line of three's that surrounded me. It felt like a storm was brewing, one that would wash away everything.

The first I heard of it was the rush of feet as many guards rushed by to the lower levels. Commanding yells from officers directing their men to hold them back. I can hear the clash of swords as I rush after them. The smell of blood reaches my nose as I'm about to turn another corner when the sounds of battle suddenly stop. Beyond that corner laid a sight that brought me up short. Bodies and blood laid everywhere in front of the broken and mangled remains of a heavy oak door and beyond that was an unearthly glow. I've butchered animals back home so I thought I was use to blood and guts, but seeing humans like this. Acid filled my mouth as my body rejected what laid before me. Shaking violently my body collapsed with a wave of vomit gushing out of me to mingle with the blood soaked floor. Again and again I was powerless against the convulsions that wracked my body. Finally with trembling feet I proceeded further until I was face to face with that sickly blue portal. I dunno why I stretched out my hand but the second it touched it's surface my whole body was pulled in.

The renewed sounds of fighting brought me back from my stupor. The room had changed and instead of the hall of death and sick beyond it was now a massive wooden table with wounded men in armor being treated by frantic hands. It was flanked by two stone pillars and beyond that a door that lead out to a brightly lit room where the fighting was in earnest. A man in full armor wielding a pike walked up to me from the side, "Go back and tell them we will hold the line boy. I will take care of their slip up." Then the portal swallowed me up again and I was back on the other side. What in the world is going on here?

Probably a bit off track and I have no idea if it fits with the lore at all but hey after writing the first rendition of the opening paragraph I didn't want to let it go to waste. Just think of it as my subtle idea on the back story behind it as I decide if I want to write a part 2 where he goes back in. I really need to read these in game scrolls so I can actually have some lore to tie it into the plot.
thats really nice actually

SergeDavid

Insider
Thank you both for the compliments. I'm always apprehensive when I post them until I see some likes pop up. The allure of mystery is such a great thing and I love topics like this where we can explore those elements of the unknown.

What if this place isn't what we think? What where people's lives like in this place before the event that sparked how it's like now?

Murf

Agreed, makes me wonder what people will think about us 1000, 2000 years from now, they start digging, hitting one of our landfills. I'm sure we got some ancient history wrong as well.

Baka-sama

Agreed, makes me wonder what people will think about us 1000, 2000 years from now, they start digging, hitting one of our landfills. I'm sure we got some ancient history wrong as well.
Imagine what people would think if far, far in the future, where our descendants have completely forgotten the culture of their ancestors. So they comb earth for traces of us, and all they find is a box of anime cd's and manga. What would they think of us?

OddSpierce

I'm hoping Kenichi, History's Strongest Disciple is amongst those. Both in anime and manga form. That way they can believe that we, as their ancestral species, were able to accomplish a great many physical feats through sheer training and perseverance; as well as inspiring them to be just like Kenichi, who went from being a cowardly weakling to a courageous powerhouse who could literally heal people with his punches.

Imagine what people would think if far, far in the future, where our descendants have completely forgotten the culture of their ancestors. So they comb earth for traces of us, and all they find is a box of anime cd's and manga. What would they think of us?
Please, no. We don't need to stain the already huge failure the human race is. Also, a box survives, but nothing in space?
"REMOVE sushi remove sushi you are worst jap. you are the jap idiot you are the jap
smell. return to honshu. to our japan cousins you may come our contry. you may live
in the zoo….ahahahaha ,japan we will never forgeve you. cetnik rascal FUck but fuck
asshole jap stink japan japaney fcku..china genocide worst day of my life.
take a bath of dead jap..ahahahahahJAPAN WE WILL GET YOU!! do not forget ww2 .
japan we kill the king , japan return to your precious anime….
hahahahaha idiot japan smell so bad..wow i can smell it.
REMOVE ANIME FROM THE PREMISES. you will get caught.
russia+china+korea+all asia=kill japan…you will ww2/ mao zedong alive in china,
mao making glory of china . best glory mao china.
we are rich and have gold now hahahaha ha because of mao…
you are ppoor stink jap… you live in a hovel hahahaha,
you live in a yurt mao alive numbr one #1 in china ….fuck the japan ,..
FUCKk ashol japan no good i spit? in the mouth eye of ur flag and contry.
mao aliv and real strong wizard kill all the jap farm aminal with communis magic now
we the ciha rule .ape of the zoo presidant georg bush fukc the great satan and
lay egg this egg hatch and japan wa;s born. stupid baby form the eggn give bak our
clay we will crush u lik a skull of pig. china greattst countrey"

You're probaby not even Japanese...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.