How much are the developers reading into our suggestions?

Tom

Insider
What the tittle says! I've seen so many threads right from the beginning about implementing this feature, adding this option, how to handle this element, and so on and so forth. It's awesome that the community is abuzz with ideas and suggestions, but my question is, just like the title: how much are the developers reading into them? If at all?

I'm asking this question to you, the developers, for two main reasons. One, to be aware if it's potentially useful for me to post my suggestions now (that is, that they might be implemented). And two, in order to know what elements of the game have been "set in stone" and which ones are still in the making.

Seeing threads like "cool ideas for combat" or "how to handle death" (paraphrasing here) is interesting, but makes me wonder if the developers have already made up their minds, or if they might just use what we the players come up with for inspiration.

That's all. Sorry if it was a bit long-winded. Oh well :)

Madoc

Project Lead
We have pretty clear ideas about virtually everything in terms of mechanics but this doesn't mean we're not open to ideas if they're good. It's good to see that people on the forums are often more or less on the right track with the direction the game is taking. We decided to let a lot of these discussions run, we think that if we step in early and say "this is how it is" it will stop people from speculating which is interesting for many reasons.

There are also many suggestions with gameplay implications that don't present issues with mechanics and we definitely consider some of these inspiring. On the other hand there are also questions and suggestions that have already been answered or simply cannot work with planned features.

There's a fair bit we still need to reveal but we can't just blurt it out in a forum post. It needs to be a well constructed explanation that includes all the gameplay implications and motivations for making that choice.

nox

Insider
So if I were to suggest the ability to dual-wield two herrings, that would probably make it into the game right? :D

SergeDavid

Insider
I once chopped a tree down with a herring. It was very manly. I say since anything in the inventory can be placed anywhere on your body, (excited for a frying pan helmet and a smashing board shield) Being able to use unconventional objects like a chair or a fish as a weapon could be very entertaining and beneficial in combat.

SergeDavid

Insider
With my midget hero I wish to mount a largish brute and ride him into battle where we use my brains and his brawn to become master of the combat arena. I do say though that being a traveling merchant would be nice, especially if you can hook up a cart and partner up with a girl named Holo peddling wares between towns until you can build up enough capital to become a shop owner in a town, and then maybe after some cleaver buying and selling and choice in hire workers while you are away you could craft a trade empire spanning the whole region. Fighting off other trading guilds, bandits, dealing with taxes and thieving employees. The world could be yours if only you are smart enough to hold such an empire together! But watch out all that capital isn't carried on your person and you could lose it all if something like the crown decides you have too much power and repossesses your business assets (or the managers of different shops you own could say to hell with you and stop paying you your share and claiming it is theirs now for some legally acceptable reason).

With my midget hero I wish to mount a largish brute and ride him into battle where we use my brains and his brawn to become master of the combat arena. I do say though that being a traveling merchant would be nice, especially if you can hook up a cart and partner up with a girl named Holo peddling wares between towns until you can build up enough capital to become a shop owner in a town, and then maybe after some cleaver buying and selling and choice in hire workers while you are away you could craft a trade empire spanning the whole region. Fighting off other trading guilds, bandits, dealing with taxes and thieving employees. The world could be yours if only you are smart enough to hold such an empire together! But watch out all that capital isn't carried on your person and you could lose it all if something like the crown decides you have too much power and repossesses your business assets (or the managers of different shops you own could say to hell with you and stop paying you your share and claiming it is theirs now for some legally acceptable reason).
Normally when people start to ramble their point gets worse and what they are saying less awesome, but it is quite the opposite with you my friend.

SergeDavid

Insider
Normally when people start to ramble their point gets worse and what they are saying less awesome, but it is quite the opposite with you my friend.
Why thank you, it is very hard not to resist rambling with such an impressive game looming in the distance. If every ramble uttered through my keyboard can bring a new nuance and facet to the complexity and interwoven experiences of this game. I would gladly spend hours on each post filling these forums with stories of could be's and might have beens for our developers to read and be heartened by fueling their desires to continue their work.

Tom

Insider
Hey Madoc, thanks for the answer. Also, I likey. You have a good solid vision, but you're open to awesomeness.

He may just be related to Jan Jansen. (please please oh God please get that reference! You! Anyone!)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.