Gpu overheat.

zhuliks

Insider
What kind of coolers does it have? Custom? Stock? Stock nvidia coolers are meh, burned a card twice with it. I would recommend putting case fans if yours doesnt have any, bad airflow inside a case might be rather bad for a GPU especially.
76° doesnt sound bad, alternatively you can download MSI afterburner, it lets you set fan speeds manually, so they spin faster on higher tempts and also it lets you put an overlay in games to see load on gpu/cpu/memory and temperatures.

arisian

Supporter
There's an in-game FPS display you can toggle in the menu; turn it on, and see what framerate you're getting. If you're running at several hundred FPS, try turning on v-sync to limit it to 60FPS. That may be sufficient to get your temps down without having to upgrade your cooler...

SyllaBear

Nope, is not that much: 100, 120, 140 depend on places.
Anyways, i will see if i can buy an aftermarket cooler, arctic accelero twin turbo ii, made with copper pipes. This one has coper and 2 fans, not sure why it fails.

I am using kitchen filters to prevent dust... but ill check if its too dirty inside.

zhuliks

Insider
I am using kitchen filters to prevent dust...
Ehm, :oops::rolleyes: ehm, what kind of "kitchen filters"? Are those the ones supposed to catch smells? If you put a hand behind those filters, then gently blow on your hand through and cant feel the air its a bad filter and Im amazed how your PC didnt catch fire yet. also you can go to "C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Exanima" open "Exanima.ini" and add "FPSLimit = 60" just to see how much difference it does.

SyllaBear

Ehm, :oops::rolleyes: ehm, what kind of "kitchen filters"? Are those the ones supposed to catch smells? If you put a hand behind those filters, then gently blow on your hand through and cant feel the air its a bad filter and Im amazed how your PC didnt catch fire yet. also you can go to "C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Exanima" open "Exanima.ini" and add "FPSLimit = 60" just to see how much difference it does.
Not sure why would it catch fire? Temperatures didnt raise a lot by them, if nothing.

lll try limiting my fps.

zhuliks

Insider
try running a heavy benchmark without filters and watch temperatures for 15-30 mins and then do same with them. Im sure restricting airflow with thick filters is not a good thing.

76 degrees? Pah, I've baked my potato laptop with more than that. Then again, the whole bottom is covered in small groups of slits to let hot air cycle out. sort of.

SyllaBear

try running a heavy benchmark without filters and watch temperatures for 15-30 mins and then do same with them. Im sure restricting airflow with thick filters is not a good thing.
I know that, but it didnt make a diference. And it save the hardware of heavy dust... dust= more overheat.

Tottel

Insider
There's an in-game FPS display you can toggle in the menu; turn it on, and see what framerate you're getting. If you're running at several hundred FPS, try turning on v-sync to limit it to 60FPS. That may be sufficient to get your temps down without having to upgrade your cooler...
Nope, is not that much: 100, 120, 140 depend on places.
[..]
That's exactly what arisian meant. Honestly, there's barely any difference between 60 FPS and 100-140 FPS, but for your PC it could make a big difference in overheating; it's just doing more work than it should. Turn on v-sync (FPSLimit to 60) and try again.

EDIT: Also, get rid of those filters and just clean the inside of your PC every now and then. If the filter are pretty finely grained, then they will reduce airflow.

Last edited:

burgzaza

Insider
Try to install Rivatuner (it works well with MSIAfterburner), you can add Exanima and set a maximum frame limit, like 60 or 120, or else.
Afterburner is great, in settings you can configure the fan speed and make it auto.
My Exanima was running at 240fps+ on my new rig and it really heated the Gpu, now at 120 it's perfect.

SyllaBear

Try to install Rivatuner (it works well with MSIAfterburner), you can add Exanima and set a maximum frame limit, like 60 or 120, or else.
Afterburner is great, in settings you can configure the fan speed and make it auto.
My Exanima was running at 240fps+ on my new rig and it really heated the Gpu, now at 120 it's perfect.
There is an option for that.

That's exactly what arisian meant. Honestly, there's barely any difference between 60 FPS and 100-140 FPS, but for your PC it could make a big difference in overheating; it's just doing more work than it should. Turn on v-sync (FPSLimit to 60) and try again.

EDIT: Also, get rid of those filters and just clean the inside of your PC every now and then. If the filter are pretty finely grained, then they will reduce airflow.
No its not the filter, it allways been there.

And yes, turning vsync reduced my fps to 75 and also my temperature, thanks!!
It's on 60° now, incredible how a few fps made that much diference, incredible.

Tottel

Insider
And yes, turning vsync reduced my fps to 75 and also my temperature, thanks!!
It's on 60° now, incredible how a few fps made that much diference, incredible.
Well, let's think about it:

You reduce the game refresh rate from, let's say, 120 FPS to 75 FPS.
FPS is a fancy term, but we can't actually use this for any calculations, so let's invert this from:
-> How many frames can we render per second, to:
-> How many seconds does it take to render one frame.

120 FPS = 1/120 seconds = 0.00833 seconds = 8.33 ms (milliseconds)
75 FPS = 1/75 seconds = 0.0133 seconds = 13.33 ms
The difference is 13.33 ms - 8.33 ms = 5 ms.

This may not seem like a huge deal, but your GPU is capable (without vsync) of doing a full rendering update every 8.33 ms.
Instead, with vsync, you allow it to rest (or do something else) for 5 ms after every 8.33 ms. Generally, your GPU will mostly be idle during those 5ms, so it can cool down.

So yes, while vsync has its issues, it can definitely help in many ways. Not just with overheating, but also extending battery life on laptops or mobile (since you make your hardware work less hard), multitasking and screen-tearing issues.

SyllaBear

Well, let's think about it:

You reduce the game refresh rate from, let's say, 120 FPS to 75 FPS.
FPS is a fancy term, but we can't actually use this for any calculations, so let's invert this from:
-> How many frames can we render per second, to:
-> How many seconds does it take to render one frame.

120 FPS = 1/120 seconds = 0.00833 seconds = 8.33 ms (milliseconds)
75 FPS = 1/75 seconds = 0.0133 seconds = 13.33 ms
The difference is 13.33 ms - 8.33 ms = 5 ms.

This may not seem like a huge deal, but your GPU is capable (without vsync) of doing a full rendering update every 8.33 ms.
Instead, with vsync, you allow it to rest (or do something else) for 5 ms after every 8.33 ms. Generally, your GPU will mostly be idle during those 5ms, so it can cool down.

So yes, while vsync has its issues, it can definitely help in many ways. Not just with overheating, but also extending battery life on laptops or mobile (since you make your hardware work less hard), multitasking and screen-tearing issues.
Thats a very good explanation.
For some reason i didnt have this problem with other games but here. So thats why i never made a big deal about vsync, also my knowledge in pc is low. Now i can check this everytime my gpu overheats.

Many thanks!!

Another data: my previous gpu, saphire radeon 6680, worked with 60hz on my 60hz monitor. When bought my new gpu by default it was 75hz, thats when i discovered that my monitor can also work on 75 too.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.