Games to Fill the Gap: What you're playing before Sui Generis

So, we've got a couple of threads going about people's favourite games, but so far, none about what people are playing while we wait for the big release. So, I thought I'd make it a thing :)

What have you been playing recently? How do you like it? Connections to SG (if any)? They don't have to be RPGs. Open discussion, etc. Go!

Parco

league of legends, all my friends are playing it so im playing with them. dayz, i dont know why but i really enjoy playing the marathon simulator :p sometimes playing hearthstone when got nothing else to do and gta 4 when i feel the "need".
its not a game but some months ago i started rewatching all the stargate episodes, currently on ep 10 in season 2 in atlantis.

Yeah, sometimes I end up watching shows back to back just to fill some time when none of my friends want to play a game.

I would say which game I'm playing but I never play any games that consistently. I guess I've played a lot of CS:GO lately.

I recently downloaded a mod for Xcom Enemy Unknown. Been playing that. I'm in the process of getting a new computer. When I get that I'll be playing Witcher 2, Dragon Commander and Rome Total war: 2.

Apart from that I've got like 7 million GoG games waiting to be played. But I haven't got the time! :(

BrecMadak

Insider
Nothing currently, but waiting for FRP (Fallout 2 Restoration Project)'s latest and biggie patch to be completed, and then will have fun like no other !
Second wait comes very close, Brutal Doom v19 will be out on October 31 ! Damn what a month !

Scarecrow

Insider
As of lately i haven't been playing much at all, nothing really exciting out right now that i haven't grown tired of.

But there are a few things however. The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1 came out a week back or so, and i played through it, and it was great. Loved every minute of it. Took me about 1-2 hours to get through it. For those interested in story driven games, you should definitely check it out.

I also play the occasional game of League Of Legends. However, the infamous bad community of that game is tiring, and gets boring unless you play with friends, imo.

Also, playing a bit Dark Souls PvP in the Dark Root Garden once in a while. It's sad to see how my skills are really getting worse tho :(

Lathspell

Im playing World of Goo mostly, and trying s.t.a.l.k.e.r but I don't like it too much, Im waiting some indie and crowfounded releases, I don't know if anyone thinks the same but I think Big companies games now are like the same, the only thing that they improve are graphics and visual effects....

if anyone can suggest a cool game that brings something new to the table give a shout please

BWT: sorry for my bad english, im out of practice

Komuflage

Insider
I don't know if anyone thinks the same but I think Big companies games now are like the same, the only thing that they improve are graphics and visual effects....

if anyone can suggest a cool game that brings something new to the table give a shout please

BWT: sorry for my bad english, im out of practice
I completely agree with you, I more or less stopped buying games from big company's completely.

There's a ton of great games out there, and I would love to give a recommendation. But it all depends on what type of games you like.

Empire²

Insider
I am literally all over the place when it comes to games.

I'm currently playing Civ 5, Minecraft, Fifa 14, and some GTA V on the 360 every now and then.

I've mainly been looking at the new consoles and games though, watching videos and stuff, rather than playing myself.

Scarecrow

Insider
Any recommendations as far as RPG or Strategy games go? Top priorities in order are: Story/world, Game play, Graphics/Sounds.

It can be any setting really (Medieval, Fantasy, Sci-Fi etc).

I'm not too keen on games that play in the way that Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale does tho. It's not that i don't enjoy them, it's just that i have to be in a certain mood and mindset to do so.

Play King Of Dragon Pass.

It's fucking glorious as shit. Play the long game and look up some tips on how to play the game. The wiki is helpful.

After that, have a BLAST with a game that is UNIQUE. There's nothing quite like it.

Komuflage

Insider
Any recommendations as far as RPG or Strategy games go? Top priorities in order are: Story/world, Game play, Graphics/Sounds.

It can be any setting really (Medieval, Fantasy, Sci-Fi etc).

I'm not too keen on games that play in the way that Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale does tho. It's not that i don't enjoy them, it's just that i have to be in a certain mood and mindset to do so.
When it comes to great storys in RPG I think the BS and planescape torment have the best. However if you don't like the gameplay, then perhaps Fallout 1 or two suits you better? The story is still good, but gameplay is (imo) better.

Other than that, you got Temple of elemental Evil or Nox, both great games, the story ain't that spectacular, but it's alright, gameplay is a blast though, especially Temple, great mix of turnbased strategy and RPG.

Arcanum is a game I've hear good about, although I not tried it myself yet.

Other than that. Divine Divinity and Sacred (1) are both great games, although more Hack'n slash than the rest of them.
Oh and I mustn't forget Total Annihilation is an awesome game if you like strategy games, really one of the best.
Sci fi, huge battles (literally thousands of units) and simple but fun gameplay ("easy to learn, hard to master" fits this game quite well)

Scarecrow

Insider
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might check out King of Dragon Pass on iOS actually.

I think i should have specified that I'm not looking for party based RPG's or turn based combat.

Total Annihilation seems fun though, might check that out as well. Would still like to find a good and immersive rpg.

Also, am i the only one that cares for story in strategy games? The main reason i adored the King Arthur Roleplaying Wargame series for instance was the great story, and excellent text based quests.

Empire²

Insider
How about Kingdoms of Amalur? It has a nice aesthetic, reminiscent of Fable, and a pretty interesting story!

Zervostyrd

Insider
I completely agree with you, I more or less stopped buying games from big company's completely..
I hear.. Sadly today, the indie and niche games are the ones you're forced to look at if you want quality...

Currently I'm in a middle of a dry out.. I've the previous month played Company of Heroes 2 a bit, Until I got enraged of the poor authencity... So I Re-installed the First itteration of the series (CoH 1) and got loaded some mods. But got a bit tired on that too.

Otherwise I've played during this month, Wargame: AirLand Battle (with my homebrewn "stompz ze AI" mod), Rome 2 Total war, Red Orchestra and Rising storm, ARMA 3, Men of War (or rather the editor), and a tiny bit of Fallout New vegas...

Scarecrow

Insider
People keep recommending me Kingdoms of Amalur actually, but for some inexplicable reason i just don't like it at all. The combat system doesn't sit good with me, nor did i find the story engaging at all. It was one of those games that i really tried to like, and invested close to 10 hours into it. I couldn't keep it up any longer at that point.

Btw @Rod_Lightning I got King of Dragon Pass, and it's pretty cool. I failed miserably my first time though :D

People keep recommending me Kingdoms of Amalur actually, but for some inexplicable reason i just don't like it at all. The combat system doesn't sit good with me, nor did i find the story engaging at all. It was one of those games that i really tried to like, and invested close to 10 hours into it. I couldn't keep it up any longer at that point.

Btw @Rod_Lightning I got King of Dragon Pass, and it's pretty cool. I failed miserably my first time though :D
Keep going at it! :p

Komuflage

Insider
Kinda agree with you, managed to play a few hours on 3 different characters. It's kind of sad though, because thinking about it, it's still one of the best rpgs released "recently" (Not counting indie titles)

Only games I can think of that's been better is The witcher 2 and both souls games (And I didn't even managed a full playthrough of Witcher before I gave up)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.