Gamepad control proposal

eobet

Supporter
I'm one of those people who simply can't get my head around that A and D can be right OR left depending on camera and character position. I just can't re-map that internally in the heat of the battle.

So, since the developers apparently refuse to change this, here's one last ditch effort from me. It's very sloppy, can probably be improved a lot:

The developers are currently saying that if you do 1:1 mapping on a keyboard, you'd limit the movement to 45 degrees. That limitation goes away if you instead put the movement on an analogue joystick.

Further, I find that doing a LTR slash is quite imprecise and using both analogue triggers for this would again simplify things, plus you might be able to add some sort of power vs. speed control as well.

So, have at it. Tell me why this won't work.

For combat, as it is in its current state, this control scheme could work marvellously. However, this game has more than just combat in it. Interacting with the environment would be near impossible with a 360 controller, and the jury's still out on a steam controller.

Moreover, the combat is intended to become much more complex, with thrusts requiring pin point accuracy, not to mention thaumaturgy (magic essentially) being cast in numerous different ways. One such proposal is creating a lightning arc between objects/opponents by dragging your mouse between them. When it reaches this stage, even just combat won't be playable with a controller, unfortunately.

eobet

Supporter
I'm afraid I don't believe you.

You should note that there are a total of 14 buttons that I haven't used in the above picture.

If Tera, an MMORPG with as many skills and interactions as any in that genre can handle gamepad, then Exanima can do it too.

Elaxter

Insider
To reply to the first paragraph, A is also left and D is always right. It never changes.

I can see controller support being a thing. But it would be partial: for combat, specifically. I cant see it being useful for interacting with the environment.

ZaratanCho

Insider
And that has anything to do with what i said because ?
You should note that there are a total of 14 buttons that I haven't used in the above picture.

If Tera, an MMORPG with as many skills and interactions as any in that genre can handle gamepad, then Exanima can do it too.
In response to fluffy i would guess since it was the only comment.
"Lrn2read m80"

Main point of fluffy's post was about things that may require a lot precision.

eobet

Supporter
Main point of fluffy's post was about things that may require a lot precision.
If that was his main point, then I would propose that there is very little precision in the game right now (especially with LTR swings) and that the gamepad would improve even upon precision.

But I guess we can never know for certain until it is implemented (and implemented well... because I would also argue that this current mouse scheme is not well implemented... but that's a hornet's nest for other threads).

Precision as in, precisely grabbing a key and placing it in your inventory. On this note, I think someone prototyped some WASD controls for a joystick. I'm speaking with a disabled gamer and can't find where the hell I read that. Any chance someone knows?

Tony

Insider
Precision as in, precisely grabbing a key and placing it in your inventory. On this note, I think someone prototyped some WASD controls for a joystick. I'm speaking with a disabled gamer and can't find where the hell I read that. Any chance someone knows?
If you're referring to the guy that mapped the keyboard presses to an Xbox controller which he used his feet to press then yes, he did so. But emulating the keyboard isn't what an Xbox controller has problems with; the Xbox controller has issues giving you the speed, accuracy and precision of a mouse. The disabled guy still used a mouse to control the cursor in the game.

If you're referring to the guy that mapped the keyboard presses to an Xbox controller which he used his feet to press then yes, he did so. But emulating the keyboard isn't what an Xbox controller has problems with; the Xbox controller has issues giving you the speed, accuracy and precision of a mouse. The disabled guy still used a mouse to control the cursor in the game.
I understand that. It's someone that can't use the WASD but can use a mouse. I think you know my stance on this game's controls. But for someone to be physically unable to use a certain input method, I can bend for that. I'm not saying to add anything, I'm only searching for a workaround to map WASD to a joystick or gamepad for this individual.

Tony

Insider
I understand that. It's someone that can't use the WASD but can use a mouse. I think you know my stance on this game's controls. But for someone to be physically unable to use a certain input method, I can bend for that. I'm not saying to add anything, I'm only searching for a workaround to map WASD to a joystick or gamepad for this individual.
That's easily doable already; there are several options out there for mapping keyboard presses to a controller. I think the most commonly used one is Xpadder. However, this really solves nothing since a mouse is still required to make the game playable without being insanely frustrating.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.