Arena's Thorough Walkthrough

I'm intending to make a wider guide to arenas for release on Steam. I hope theres no problem starting the draft in official forums.

So, let's start it.

Well - if you are a player like me - that don't want to use physics just to make a junk castle, you may be interested to know more about improve your experience in arena's combat (in fact, it can be useful for story mode too).

To don't talk too much about nothing I'll go straight. If you want to maximize your combats skills in Exanima you should start from character creating. Like it was already said - yes, some things are too obvious like "taller" characters will have more range to melee strikes. But how much? Before you try to deduce I've already tested few things.

As we can see in this edited printscreen, the taller character can double the range of his punches. Don't get me wrong - it's 2x more range when we are talking about bare hands. If you put a 2h sword maybe there won't be a monstrous difference - but even 4 inches can make the difference between your skull totally opened and a small cut on your forehead.

But, if are already veteran in arenas you may know that sometimes, the best tatic against a too long weapon is to keep the fight close to avoid faster and stronger strikes. In swing strikes - more range mean more fast and stronger hits. Some weapons don't aren't sharp next to handhold, like some polearms.

So - before create your character for good you should first choose which weapon you are going to use. If you want to go straight forward the enemy, swinging your 1h weapon (with shield), grunting and slobbering like a barbarian I would try a small / median stature. If you want to play dodging while you try to calculate the right range and the right moment to cut your enemy - you should go median / tall.

Don't forget - it's not only about range. Small characters can have more protection from shields. If your like to use crouch while fighting, you will get more advantage from small characters too. Wait, it's too much thing to process. Ok, let me try to put things ordered.

1. Height

(Advantage) Tall characters have longer arms, increasing their range. Good for two-handed weapons.
(Advantage) Tall characters have more body mass, making their attack movement more stable (in smaller ones even his punch can make your character moves forward).
(Advantage) Tall characters can get more hits in the chest instead the face, getting less damage.
(Weakness) Tall characters can stumble and fall to the ground easier because of higher gravitational center.
(Weakness) Tall characters can get more hits right in the face while crouching. Not good for sneaky players who like to use daggers.
(Weakness) Tall characters have more body mass and volume - making they easier to get hitted. Not good for players who like to use shields (since shield will always have the same size, different from armor that fit to your character).

2. Mass (physique + age + height)

(Advantage) Large characters can make them less likely to fall or being pushed or pulled by external forces.
(Weakness) Large characters can get more hits, because of volume will increase your body's total area.

Some curious facts tested:

All characters have the same speed no matter how different they looks (not counting skills and items weight).

(content still under development)

Punch range difference between smaller and taller characters (using your forehead as reference). Yes, 2x more range with bare hands.

armlength.jpg

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.