Arena help post 0.5.1.1 patch

piotras

EDIT:

lol, so just realised that I've accidently left the height-slider at character creation at very low (I was playing around with different 'builds') and the moment I've put it to max the game got much easier (more range, further steps). I've just beat the expert level on first try :) Incredible how these stats matter. Still, AI seems to protect itself better now after the patch and I'll keep the below message for the sake of exchanging tactics.

Original message:

Hi,

Still learning the ropes when it comes to combat but beating the expert wasn't that difficult before the last patch. After the patch I find the first opponent in plate armour (and with polehammer I think) very difficult to beat. I even reverted to a 2-handed sword (which at least in my hands seems to be the easiest weapon to win) but still that doesn't help.

I find that I need to be very aggressive in that fight since even when parried his attacks are likely to damage me anyway. Getting close and personal with him also help to prevent him to swing properly, but I have the same problem. The polehammer is surprisingly very fast for its size, perfect for blocking and overswing attacks are ridiculously quick.

Not sure how to approach this fight, there's something fundamental I don't get about the combat yet. Any help and vid explanations would be very appreciated :)

Last edited:

arisian

Supporter
So, I'm not sure if this is actually something new that's happening, but I started noticing it post-0.5.5.1, and it's that blocking seems to be less consistent. Maybe it's just that enemies are being more clever or something, but I feel like its gotten a lot more common for certain weapons in particular to appear (based on visual animations) to strike *through* a shield or buckler. As in, it looks like the weapon hits my shield, then blood sprays *out of the shield*, and my character takes damage. I haven't really noticed this happening with the first few opponents, but the last three or four opponents on novice seem to do this some of the time, especially the second to last. That woman with the short sword is really terrifying now; maybe my character is just intimidated and drops her guard out of sheer terror? Because I've got my cursor directly on the enemy, am facing towards her, and not attacking, and I'm still getting cut to pieces.

It's always been the case that blocking wasn't 100% effective against non-straight weapons like the Maul (i.e. you block the haft, but the head still hits your arm above the shield and does damage), but for straight weapons like swords it doesn't seem like this should be happening.

Is anyone else having similar issues, or is there some new trick to blocking post-patch? Maybe I've just been getting unlucky tonight, but it used to be that when I got killed I understood what I'd done wrong...I liked that a lot better.

Murf

If ya can, try and get some video of it. What does happen a lot, is during a shield block (and parries) their weapon strikes your shield (or weapon), the angle of impact is not the optimal to absorb all the dmg and stop the momentum of the attack, their weapon slides down, across, over, beneath, your shield/weapon and it strikes your body. I have seen that happen quite a bit, same as I have seen me block an attack, and it blocks perfect and I only lose a slight amount of stamina.

-Tim-

Insider
So, I'm not sure if this is actually something new that's happening, but I started noticing it post-0.5.5.1, and it's that blocking seems to be less consistent. Maybe it's just that enemies are being more clever or something, but I feel like its gotten a lot more common for certain weapons in particular to appear (based on visual animations) to strike *through* a shield or buckler. As in, it looks like the weapon hits my shield, then blood sprays *out of the shield*, and my character takes damage. I haven't really noticed this happening with the first few opponents, but the last three or four opponents on novice seem to do this some of the time, especially the second to last. That woman with the short sword is really terrifying now; maybe my character is just intimidated and drops her guard out of sheer terror? Because I've got my cursor directly on the enemy, am facing towards her, and not attacking, and I'm still getting cut to pieces.

It's always been the case that blocking wasn't 100% effective against non-straight weapons like the Maul (i.e. you block the haft, but the head still hits your arm above the shield and does damage), but for straight weapons like swords it doesn't seem like this should be happening.

Is anyone else having similar issues, or is there some new trick to blocking post-patch? Maybe I've just been getting unlucky tonight, but it used to be that when I got killed I understood what I'd done wrong...I liked that a lot better.
It's important to realise that in this game, blocking with a shield or weapon is never 100% reliable (or in other words: blocking each and every hit effectively is extremely hard). Some observations:
  • Especially right-to-left strikes with both twohanded and onehanded swords have a tendency to hit low, under your shield. Your character often simply cannot and will not block these. Conversely, left-to-right strikes sometimes hit high, above your shield. I assume this will be looked at and tweaked by the devs when shields are overhauled to go along with the skill system.
  • As far as I know and have seen, blocking a hit while you're not doing anything else should absorb all damage. If you happen to absorb a hit with your shield during your own attack, you will sometimes take stamina damage, but never red damage.
  • Strikes hitting your shield and still causing red damage (and blood particles) does happen and is a matter of polishing physics and collisions. Sometimes parts of your body clip through your shield, and are thus hit directly.
  • The women with onehanded swords and shields are extremely dangerous if you don't wear a headpiece. Use range advantage, or treat with great caution.

Akiner

Like Tim said, onehanded enemies are very dangerous. That's what gave me the most trouble in the arena.
You have to be aggressive or they keep rushing and attacking you.

Be aggressive and keep your distance. Work for onehanded and twohanded enemies. Unless you are using a one hand weapon vs a twohanded guy, in this case you want to be at close rang and still aggressive.

Don't hesitate to swing even if you know you are too far. First you will keep the enemy at distance and two, you can then adjust your position for a back swing.

Overhead + crouch. Very strong attack + a great chance to dodge.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.