We were all learners once... aka. Post Your n00b Mistakes

ThommiX

Mate, I've been fighting with steel for two and a half years now. If you're anywhere around Croydon, UK, on a Friday night, pop in for a bash. It's free and we'll lend you some gear to start off. I'll even let you swing my Vorslag and compare it to a single handed sword if you like. :)
Would love to if i ever get in UK :D Finland is bit far away.

Homiccus

Heck,take a look at something like Arthur and his knights or almost any movie with swords. Yea,i know they are movies,but they pretty well show you the differences in 2-hand and 1-hand swords which are just wielded with 2-hands.

There's also a ton of smaller and different 1-hand swords, like roman gladius or arabian scimitar. Not sure where falchion was from out of the top of my head. Scimitar at least could be also used with 2-hands,though generally was a 1-hander if i'm not totally remembering wrong.
I'm sorry but when you start using Hollywood movies as references... Please, just don't.
Again. The term 'longsword' in popular use is influenced by exactly this - movies and games. It was first popularised through Dungeons and Dragons where it was named longsword so it differs from the shortsword.
In HEMA and medieval re-enactment the longsword is named after German fencing manuals such as I.33 and Talhoffer Handbuch, where the term long sword - langes schwert - refers to technique used but also because the ideal length of a sword used in this martial art was.' from the ground to your armpit' and with grip long enough for two hands. There it is.
Falchion originated as a tool and was later adopted for archers' corps use but traces its origins to eastern curved swords. The Exanima's falchions are based on illustrations in Morgan Bible or Maciejowski Bible.
Sorry, I had to. Apologies for offtopic.

Kaladin

I once put a bucket on my head because I thought it would protect my head.

Turns out that it basically turned every zombie into a massive hater. No matter where I went I was attacked. Only one who didn't was the first zombie you meet, the naked bro zombie. That guy didn't hate on my buckethelm.

P.S the helmet was almost useless.

I'm sorry but when you start using Hollywood movies as references... Please, just don't.
Again. The term 'longsword' in popular use is influenced by exactly this - movies and games. It was first popularised through Dungeons and Dragons where it was named longsword so it differs from the shortsword.
In HEMA and medieval re-enactment the longsword is named after German fencing manuals such as I.33 and Talhoffer Handbuch, where the term long sword - langes schwert - refers to technique used but also because the ideal length of a sword used in this martial art was.' from the ground to your armpit' and with grip long enough for two hands. There it is.
Falchion originated as a tool and was later adopted for archers' corps use but traces its origins to eastern curved swords. The Exanima's falchions are based on illustrations in Morgan Bible or Maciejowski Bible.
Thank you. You know what I was trying to say. :D

I'll definitely try to decide on a focal point before I just dive right in and record at random, and I went through and changed the titles and descriptions of the videos to hopefully avoid this kind of incident in the future. I'll figure it out in time! Thanks!
Back to topic: My first big mistake was probably tripping over a rock in the outdoor arena, lol. Now I know that happens! Watch your footing! :p

Last edited:

ThommiX

You just said the same that i did. It has handle for allowing 2-hand use. It does not make it a 2-handed sword in my opinion,though the differences are small. Hence,its silly to call every 2-hander a longsword, as it as far as i know,is commonly a 1-handed sword with a long handle allowing 2-handed use and also being longest of the 1-handed swords.

I used movies to help illustrate the differences,even if they are movies,the facts of those swords are pretty accurate on some of them.Used movies since most have usually seen a few.
thanks for the falchion-specs. :D

Anyway,we are really getting off topic and out of rails :)

Guess i should add another noob moment when i intentionally decided to fight 2 golems in a big doorway. Also didn't end well,small doorways are better :D

Last edited:
Also, using my "main" character in Arena duels or elimination matches, getting him killed, and having to restart. Hire and recruit! Save your main for fist fights! :D

MindSliver

Lol however you want to twist it,sure,go ahead.

If you want to talk about the common longsword,its not the 2-hander,no matter how much you want to bend and twist your own terminology. Yes,most medieval swords could be wielded with 2-hands also,depending did they made the handle long enough. 1 and a half handed swords were basicly almost 2-handers but not quite,but made so that they could be used with 1-hand, if the wielder had enough actual strength to do it.
That doesn't mean they are 2-handers... I also underlined the points in your explanation that should tell you that you are not talking about a 2-hander,you are talking about a weapon which can be used with 2 hands if the handle is long enough... Really,read your copypasted wikistuff again and this time Understand what it says.

There is absolutely nothing confusing in a longsword and a 2-hander. There are even 1 and half hand swords like the most known Bastard Sword. Your term is competely wrong and incorrect and describes entirely different weapon,but do use it if you wish,you will be said about it probably a lot. If someone bothers.

Yes i understand what you were trying to do in your videos and the blunt truth is: They are really boring and bad. Think what you're going to record,think what you are going to say,don't just improvise as majority of people can't do that at all. My first impression was just to mute it.

Back on topic, my first noob moment probably came in the 5th level while wandering around happily without thinking and waking up couple first golems,who proceeded to make a pancake out of me.
i cant believe I'm getting involved in this but... i gotta say that virtually every single group that studies historical swordsman ship would agree with Shalen smith that a long sword is designed for and used with 2 hands. No 1 handed sword would be called a long sword. 1 handed swords never have long handles as the handles ruins most techniques for a 1 handed sword. 1 handed swords would be arming swords, back swords, side swords etc... even a bastard sword doesn't have a long handle, it requires the user to hold the pommel as there isn't enough grip for two hands. it's all just classification of course. but you might want to reign in the condescension a wee bit friendo as you sounded just a touch douchey about it.

Last edited:
I know about some gun nuts that will explode in rage over a single part misnamed, but this is just another level of specificity

ThommiX

They are right in that its a common name of swords, they are wrong in calling EVERY sword longsword. 1-h and 2-h. That is just silly as there are real,actual 2 handers also.

I was wrong in that longsword is actually a more broader term than i knew,thank you for that. Something from the wiki:

Historical terms without a universal consensus of definition (such as "broadsword", "long sword", "short-sword", "bastard sword", "great sword", "full-bladed sword", "side-sword", "dual-bladed sword", and "two-handed sword") were used to label weapons of similar appearance but of different historical periods and fabrication technology, often by describing their size or shape relative to other unrelated weapons, without regard to their intended use and fighting style. In modern times, many of these terms have been given specific, often arbitrary meanings that are unrelated to any of their historical meanings.

Their generalization of a longsword is just too general for my understanding. There are 1 handed longswords and 2 handed as the term is pretty broad.

MrApophos

Does it cut?
Longsword - Yes
Two-handed sword - Yes

Does it shoot bullets?
M4 Assault Rifle - Yes
AK47 Assault Rifle - Yes

If we were going to have very limited choices about our weapons, with fixed sets of what is available, fine, we can be picky about specific names. However, since the idea is to eventually have procedurally generated weapons, Two-handed sword will work just fine for any variant of Two-handed sword.

Homiccus

I know about some gun nuts that will explode in rage over a single part misnamed, but this is just another level of specificity
At your service.
Does it cut?
Longsword - Yes
Two-handed sword - Yes

Does it shoot bullets?
M4 Assault Rifle - Yes
AK47 Assault Rifle - Yes
FLAAAMEEE WAAAARS! :D

But now on a more serious note... as we will have procedurally generated weapons, the differences will be a lot more subtle, than broad comparison between M16 / AK families. Think differences between AK(47), AKM, AKSU, AK-74, AK-101, AKSU-74, AK-103 - XM-177E3, M4, M4A1, M16A1, M16A2, M16A4, AR-15, CAR-15, C7... etc. etc. The differences between those are slightly more than superficial.
Anyway, we're just trying to make a point here, that a notion of 'longsword' in historical context of weapons used as base for weapons present in Exanima refers to a sword designed to be used with two hands on the hilt and not a popular notion which designates a single-handed sword with longer-than-usual blade.
It's complicated and rather obscure, but there it is.

NB: Longsword doesn't always cut. Examples: estoc, tuck, koncerz.

ThommiX

At your service.

FLAAAMEEE WAAAARS! :D

But now on a more serious note... as we will have procedurally generated weapons, the differences will be a lot more subtle, than broad comparison between M16 / AK families. Think differences between AK(47), AKM, AKSU, AK-74, AK-101, AKSU-74, AK-103 - XM-177E3, M4, M4A1, M16A1, M16A2, M16A4, AR-15, CAR-15, C7... etc. etc. The differences between those are slightly more than superficial.
Anyway, we're just trying to make a point here, that a notion of 'longsword' in historical context of weapons used as base for weapons present in Exanima refers to a sword designed to be used with two hands on the hilt and not a popular notion which designates a single-handed sword with longer-than-usual blade.
It's complicated and rather obscure, but there it is.

NB: Longsword doesn't always cut. Examples: estoc, tuck, koncerz.
And in that you are right,It can be called longsword.
Still it is silly to refer EVERY sword as a longsword,regardless of handedness, and refer a 2-handed sword as a longsword in a game where it is actually different.

Heck, even in medieval times those dudes didn't go talking about longswords with every sword they saw. No, they were given different names according to the design of the blade and so on.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Topic:

When first playing Exanima, it took me almost an hour to figure out how to open doors...
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN, DOUBLE CLICKING OR PRESSING `E´ DOESNT WORK? HOW DO I GET OUT OF HERE!?"

To my excuse, that was on the very first releases, before there was any kind of written tutorial...

Also, constant movement during combat. That may work in the arena, but not in the cluttered hallways of the underworld. Staying calm is the key.

When I got to the puzzle area the first time, I just pulled the lever and gunned for the timed trap doors. Yeah, its not that easy.

Pc Genie

A few newbie mistakes I made:

- Forgetting to hold the attack button and not knowing why my character seemed so uninterested in fighting.
- Murdering the air as I swung far before I was in range, getting duly punished afterwards.
- Dropping the torch in a little fireplace hole in the first map. Luckily I just about managed to retrieve it.
- Tripping over furniture during a story mode fight.
- Running around the corner of a corridor, only to find a deadly pit awaited me. I tripped and tried desperately to get out, but as I righted myself, I unavoidably tripped again to my doom.

My best friend tried Exanima for the first time at my house, and I caught it on camera:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.