Update #28: Update #28

tiny lampe

Insider
(Sorry for doubting your future design decisions, but with the recent trends in gaming industry you understand why I ask.)
Rest asured. I would say that "the recent trends in the gaming industry" are pretty unrepresentative of the design decisions that an indie company may take. Especially an indie company that is new to the scene and has come forth to develop a game that has been in the back of their minds for the longest time.

True, I guess I am worrying for nothing. Once again the improvements are borderline cinematic right now, I can't believe the progress you made in such short time on the animations. Can't wait to see stabbing/kicking/grappling/punching added.

mercy

Good job with update #28. The AUTOMAP is fantastic! Don't change the color design too much, that light brown meshes perfectly with the dungeons palette.

Please allow the fonts to become BOLD so we can read them easier.
in this picture http://dl.baremettle.com/KS28_Armr01.jpg

You already nailed down the animations in the last video months ago, so overall you have done a pretty amazing job with this game.

Congratulations!

PS: Wasteland 2 GUI and character graphics just degraded over time watching the updates were disheartening as they botched it more and more art-wise & font-wise, but Sui Generis stayed above the surface, especially after fixing those animations months ago.

Graphics is good, Sui Generis UI looking solid, you said you have re-done the combat animation-system, hopefully it's now as good as the last time and maybe better.

I see no problems with this project and a very nice potential for BIG SALES for you!!

turtleman155

Insider
if the NDA is lifted when the beta version comes out i think it would be a good move to send the beta to a few well established youtubers to gain popularity. free advertising for the win :D

Tony

Insider
if the NDA is lifted when the beta version comes out i think it would be a good move to send the beta to a few well established youtubers to gain popularity. free advertising for the win :D
If you're referring to the combat demo beta then I disagree. It will only further reinforce the general idea that Sui Generis is nothing but technology and not a real game. I hear this all the time when I attempt to talk about it with other people/forums... "Well, that all sounds good in theory but so far all I've seen of the game is bits of technology and combat alone doesn't make a good RPG game"... and silly things like that.

I've said it several times before and I'll repeat it again: Bare Mettle should wait until the game has more of the planned features added before releasing anything to the general public for review.

While I understand the hesitation to make a game like this main streamed in fan media channels for advertising purposes, I have to say that why not? I think this game is the next Mount and Blade Meets Ultima meets Morrowind Meets Baldurs Gate, I think blanket sales and lots of attention can only benefit this game, especially considering the fame of The Witcher series. I can imagine this getting on venues such as Amazon.com, GoG.com, gamersgate, green man gaming, etc. The only thing the development team has to do is ignore any of the waves of complaints by avid consumers and stay true to their title. A hard lesson to be sure, a true test of character.

I can only hope for this game to gain popularity of thousands of viewer - tech demo or not. Money is money after all and I believe this game deserves it more than most. Have you SEEN the market now a days? It's trash. And I've backed a lot of it.

Tony

Insider
While I understand the hesitation to make a game like this main streamed in fan media channels for advertising purposes, I have to say that why not? I think this game is the next Mount and Blade Meets Ultima meets Morrowind Meets Baldurs Gate, I think blanket sales and lots of attention can only benefit this game, especially considering the fame of The Witcher series. I can imagine this getting on venues such as Amazon.com, GoG.com, gamersgate, green man gaming, etc. The only thing the development team has to do is ignore any of the waves of complaints by avid consumers and stay true to their title. A hard lesson to be sure, a true test of character.

I can only hope for this game to gain popularity of thousands of viewer - tech demo or not. Money is money after all and I believe this game deserves it more than most. Have you SEEN the market now a days? It's trash. And I've backed a lot of it.
I agree that they eventually should allow the game to be reviewed, just not at such an early stage. It is very likely that doing so would do more harm than good.

Many people go off of first impressions when deciding whether a game is worth their time or not. If someone knows nothing about Sui Generis, and all they see is combat in a single (and mostly empty) room, what will their first impression be? Probably that Sui Generis is some sort of fighting game with drunken looking fighters.

In Sui Generis it takes quite a bit of time to learn how to be proficient in combat so what most reviews would show is someone flailing and stumbling around randomly. This would give off a bad first impression and do more harm than good. No one would watch the early review videos and think "wow, this looks like a deep RPG game where you are free to do anything you please, with dynamic world progression, intelligent NPCs" etc.

I understand your excitement and that you want Sui Generis to succeed. I feel the same way too. I just believe that it is important to give a good first impression to the general public. The combat demo is not the appropriate tool to do this. It is much too limited and it doesn't show what Sui Generis is all about.

Andrakys

Insider
Finally beat all 10 guys, that last dude has so much reach!!! Got him with the sword off #8 then next time round the poleaxe thingy

and I can even get to the 8th guy with sword and board now XD took a lot longer and more learning to get sword with shield right than it did with two handed weapons. Seems to me (polearm is the king of examples) that the more reach - the easier the weapon. Maybe its just me but that kind of makes sense. Eric must be happy, adding a shield to full plate did sweet FA for me and I remember him talking about that in another thread. Enjoying that one handers feel useable though and that shields feel valuable when you have lesser armour on. Interested to try out multiple hostile combat. Prelude come at me bro!

edit to fix failing english XD

Last edited:

Andrakys

Insider
Really enjoying axes for some reason 0_o 2 handed but they are quite hard. If you time your attack well you can hook it behind their head and drag them to the ground. Then beat them to death of course... Fights are for winning! None of this 'honour' nonsense :p

Andrakys

Insider
Actually managed to punch the sword and board woman earlier, I felt bad and great at the same time 0_o overhead attack in close proximity for the win!

shingouki

How the hell can I tell what the changes in combat are, using only still frames...

Can't you guys use animated gifs or something, if you can't show off a dev video for the public? I can't discern anything from those pictures.

tiny lampe

Insider
How the hell can I tell what the changes in combat are, using only still frames...

Can't you guys use animated gifs or something, if you can't show off a dev video for the public? I can't discern anything from those pictures.
I agree that .gifs would have been much better to convey the combat improvements. However, I don't think you should be demanding them as if you were BM's boss.

In general, if you want somebody to do something for you being polite helps.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.