UI Render Error

Chuckles

Supporter
So I've been playing in the Exanima arena mode for a bit and a very annoying thing keeps happening. Sometimes, when loading a new opponent, the UI (including mouse pointer) won't render and during the fight everything seems sluggish and looks like it's being affected by severe motion blur. After about 20-30 seconds an unclickable message box pops up telling me there has been an error loading the UI. Then it sometimes reverts to the main menu, sometimes it doesn't. I always have to either alt+F4 or use the task manage to close the game. This error only seems to happen on enemies which use shields and a one handed weapon.

Any thoughts?

Murf

I have had the mouse cursor not show and also during char creation, the clothes and weapons and hairstyle were gone. I would close the game and load it back up and it seemed to be fine. Assumed it was my system and the capture software I was using.

Avramovic

Supporter
I literally cannot even START the damn game anymore due to "Error: Error rendering user interface". My entire screen is a garbled mess of black stripes, can't even take a screenshot to show developers here what it looks like (screenshot is always a solid black rectangle).

Madoc

Project Lead
I literally cannot even START the damn game anymore due to "Error: Error rendering user interface". My entire screen is a garbled mess of black stripes, can't even take a screenshot to show developers here what it looks like (screenshot is always a solid black rectangle).
Anymore? When did this change? Can you send us ([email protected]) or post your log file and any details on your system please? The log file is found in %appdata%\Exanima .

It may be that screen captures won't work until you toggle windowed mode. Try using alt+enter before you take a screenshot.

Thanks.

Avramovic

Supporter
Anymore? When did this change? Can you send us ([email protected]) or post your log file and any details on your system please? The log file is found in %appdata%\Exanima .

It may be that screen captures won't work until you toggle windowed mode. Try using alt+enter before you take a screenshot.

Thanks.
Mail is sent, but here's the log (and system specs) once more, for good measure:

SYSTEM
CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core E5200 @ 2.50GHz
RAM: 3.00 GB DDR2 @ 800 MHz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD3850, 256MB DDR3
Exanima is patched to version 0.5.0.9

ERROR LOG

Version: V 0.5.0.9 Beta
System: 2 CPU cores detected.
System: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
System: OpenGL version 3.3.10907 Compatibility Profile Context
System: Max texture units: 16
Audio Device: OpenAL Soft
Error: Error rendering user interface.
: Frame completion: 1283
At first I was able to start game in story mode (Arena would freeze and go apenuts immediately), and while I was in the room at the beginning I could manipulate things there and pick them up to inventory. As soon as I'd try to leave the room, while holding the torch, the game would stall, then freeze and the mess of horizontal black stripes - with occasional error message I could barely see - would ensue. It's all written here, in this thread

Avramovic

Supporter
...aaaand, I still can't play it after 0.5.1.1.

LENGHTY EDIT: Since I, like any other red-blooded Serbian person, am relentless and furious and can't take a hint even when I've taken a beating, I fiddled with config file a bit in order to get you and me some god damned test results. Here's what happened after fiddling with these values (bolded):

PerfIndex = 3.02
Volume = 100
Supersample = 1
ShadingQuality = 1
TextureDetail = 3
TextureQuality = 5
ShadowDetail = 1
ShadowQuality = 1

HWMultisample = 0
Fullscreen = 1
Music = 1
ShowFPS = 0
ShowGameTips = 0
Checkpoints = 0
CamFollow = 0
VerticalSync = 0
FirstRun = 0
Since I'm suspecting my old video card is to blame, I've tried to lower shading and shadows to 0, and then to 1.

Lowering everything to 0 produces this:
http://i.imgur.com/RhcyVgi.png

- no shadows at all, but it's completely unplayable. No user interface error messages on startup screen, either. Didn't try to leave the room, since I wanted to pick up the torch and walk with it.

Raising ShadowDetail to 1 and leaving ShadowQuality and ShadingQuality at 0 produced this:
http://i.imgur.com/PeCLemP.png
http://i.imgur.com/RXj4fOa.png
- rectangular shadows. I tried to leave the room via the dreaded door and immediately the screen went black, with no error messages, which forced me to Alt+F4 it. When I reloaded the game, however, I found myself in the hallway crossroad, and I observed the square shadows with pleasure for several seconds... until this:
http://i.imgur.com/g74YHwW.png

Yep, the party pooping error message. In a last attempt to try something else, I even disabled the ShowGameTips (default value is 1, I took it to 0), while raising all shadow/shading values to 1 to see if that produced anything significant but on game relaunch once again error messages appeared after several seconds.

Config file default values (for me, atleast) are:

PerfIndex = 3.02
Volume = 100
Supersample = 1
ShadingQuality = 5
TextureDetail = 3
TextureQuality = 5
ShadowDetail = 5
ShadowQuality = 4
HWMultisample = 0
Fullscreen = 1
Music = 1
ShowFPS = 0
ShowGameTips = 1
Checkpoints = 0
CamFollow = 0
VerticalSync = 0
FirstRun = 0
Note that with these, the error message window(s) (plural, as soon as I close one, another pops up and so on, and so on...) would appear MUCH faster, right after the starting screen appears after Bare Mettle logo. This time, with lowered values, I haven't had them that early, but the starts creen still ended up looking like this:
http://i.imgur.com/MwdIZBy.png

At this point, I'm resigned and not expecting to either be able to play Exanima or SG, but at least this may provide some insight to devs about performance on low-end systems with ATI/AMD videocards.

Last edited:

Murf

I am not sure but I think your open gl dirvers are out of date.

under device manager, >display adapter> Rt click on your video card>properties.> driver tab>driver version:

what version does it show?

Avramovic

Supporter
alright, this is all copied from Catalyst:

Driver Packaging Version 8.872-110707b-122565C-ATI
Catalyst™ Version 11.7
Provider AMD Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 6.14.10.7206
2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{F4E70E47-DD90-4DAF-9347-1A45F141A05A}/0000
Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0847
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.10907
Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2011.0707.2315.39839
AIW/VIVO WDM Driver Version 6.14.10.6238
AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

Murf

Avramovic

Supporter
many thanks my good man, I'll give it a shot

HOLY CRAP IT WORKED. I actually managed to play, and even kill a zombie, before being chopped to pieces :) And then I fired up Arena... well, it's elementary school all over again! Thanks man!

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.