Robin Hood and general archery

Pc Genie

Here I would like a place to discuss archery, longbowmen, the famous outlaw himself and perhaps the scenario of archers arriving in Sui Genersis!

I made a video [insert surprise here] about the brigand in Lincoln Green himself, who splits arrows and enjoys a good bit of banter with his merry men.

So thus I ponder, do any of you like archery or even actually practise it? Do you prefer bows or crossbows more? I'd love to partake in dialogue with you other humans about the subject.

Homiccus

Bows. I prefer bows. They require more skill, more dedication, take less storage space and it's okay to use them against fellow Christians.
One thing I can't abide by though is the 'English' grip. Every instructor I've ever met insists on using three fingers and the arrow on the left side of the stave /I'm right handed/. I've never hit as much as the wider side of the barn and the arrow constantly slips off, forcing me to tilt the bow.
Nah.
I'm all into the 'Mongolian' grip. Not only it's more comfortable for me, but also the arrow is held firmly against the bow, preventing slipping and so forth.

Homiccus

Are you saying that Crossbows are somehow less lethal against them?
Well, no, not really. It's a play on a common misconception that the crossbow was banned by the Pope from being used against Christians in combat, but bows weren't, while the truth is both were as well as slings. Not that anyone actually cared though.
Also, the fact is that Crossbows in modern world are subject to more restrictive laws than bows.

Midcal9

Well, no, not really. It's a play on a common misconception that the crossbow was banned by the Pope from being used against Christians in combat, but bows weren't, while the truth is both were as well as slings. Not that anyone actually cared though.
Also, the fact is that Crossbows in modern world are subject to more restrictive laws than bows.
Got it. Well, I don't know about you but I'm not willing to go through extremely taxing physical training in order to use a proper war bows, those things are ridiculously hard to pull. So instead I'm gonna go full French my dear Englishmen.

Last edited:
Haha, funny thoughts: I see that ban being about as effective as the one we have here in the States that's supposed to prevent convicts and felons from owning firearms..

Pc Genie

So instead I'm gonna go full French my dear Englishmen.
Are ye'? Come on then sunshine, I'll 'ave yer guts for garters, ah swear on me mum!

On a serious note, for a less thoroughly trained individual like yourself, I would indeed recommend a good sturdy crossbow. Now you have to weigh up whether you want a fast stirrup-and-hand spanned crossbow, or whether you want to go full siege warfare and have a windlass spanned one (either way, you should probably hide behind a wall or a pavise).

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.