Reputation?

Gsprfdude

I was curious as to whether or not players would be able to gain some kind of reputation within Sui Generis. Maybe players would have a stat-page with information about your character as well as "titles" you've earned. I.e. maybe you're known for being charitable and would be known as "________ the Generous" or "________ the King of Beggars". Likewise you might get negative ones. Maybe you went a little klepto and stole everything that wasn't nailed down, you might be known as "________ of the Sticky Fingers".

This could also tie in somewhat to the feature of respawning after you die. Maybe some religous zealots spot you die and then a day from then see you walking the streets completely healthy. At that point it's possible for people to consider you a "divine being" of some sort. The opposite is true as well, as you could easily be seen as a "demonic being" by these same people based on your actions.

All of these things could lead to pros and cons for your character within the game world. Maybe your demonic reputation causes a religous sect to revile you and send a reknowned crusader out to kill you. A less pious religon might rejoice in the coming of a "demon" and send envoys to it's reclusive members to provide aid to the player. Maybe your reputation as a bandit catches up to you when "Joe the Slayer of Worlds" a legendary bounty hunter comes to claim your head.

This was probably a little long-winded but I think it conveys what I'm curious about. A dynamic relation between the players and the world that changes often based on what you've done and who has witnessed your actions.

Fawz

Insider
For Exanima Madoc mentioned on the 'What's Next?' steam thread that one of the features they want to add to Exanima is a "Reputation and morale system". So it's possible that in some form your Reputation idea will make it into Exanima, and be extended to Sui Generis.

Gsprfdude

For Exanima Madoc mentioned on the 'What's Next?' steam thread that one of the features they want to add to Exanima is a "Reputation and morale system". So it's possible that in some form your Reputation idea will make it into Exanima, and be extended to Sui Generis.
Wow I wouldn't have thought we would get a reputation or morale system in Exanima, that could be interesting.

bobchaos

I'm not sure if this would be easy to code or realistic in terms of performance, my ideal scenario would be to have your reputation only spread if people are actually talking about you. Save a village, the villagers will love you, but the folks in the next village over wouldn't know unless there's trade happening between the two, or the 2nd village has a busy inn that hosts people who saw your deeds.

Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode has something like that, which is great when you're found out to be a vampire! You can slaughter the entire village and so long as no one escapes you can travel to the next town over and go back to pretending you're a human (or dwarf!). If rumors get out, travel halfway across the world, chances are they don't know about you over there just yet. Eventually, you become so legendary that you can't walk into a tavern anywhere worldwide without half the locals running for their lives while the other half tries to kill you!

*edit* another fun thing in DF that could be applied here: traveling performers. Rumors of the player's deeds could be spread by bards and other kind of performers that travel from town to town. How cool would it be to sit unknown in an inn and have the traveling performers show up and start a song about how you killed a demon last month! Maybe an NPC recognizes you and buys you a drink or throws you a party :D

Last edited:

Elaxter

Insider
An invisible intimidation bar should exist. A metric that measures your character's ability to get his way by using his reputation, skills, or appearance. I haven't seen a game that has this sort of feature, where intimidation (or any reputation-type stat) is measured using a bar.

bobchaos

An invisible intimidation bar should exist. A metric that measures your character's ability to get his way by using his reputation, skills, or appearance. I haven't seen a game that has this sort of feature, where intimidation (or any reputation-type stat) is measured using a bar.
If they do implement some "intimidation" metric, I hope it's just a single aspect of the whole reputation thing. A lot more than just your rep can make you intimidating (like, say, being 6'7", 250 pounds of muscle wearing full plate with a giant poelarm o_O ), but being a scary mofo doesn't mean you're well known anywhere outside your childhood high school :/

reidoguy

Although older thread, its an interesting concept really, but in general preference I do hope that there will be a leaderboard like in STALKER to show reputation by title.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.