Otherworldly metals and materials

Ulfberht. That is a magic sword of the viking age. The magic was in the art of making it and in the composition and purity of the steel. I think that Sui generis should be more towards this kind of exotic and magical / otherworldly materials / metals. But i have sworn to myself, not to interfer with the decision of the devs.
1. Why?
2. As if merely saying 'it should be added because it's cool' would interfere with the devs's decision.

From my experience I always disliked the fact that there were tons of 'unique' and exotic magical items and weapons. The fact that there are so many gets rid of the one thing they're supposed to be...unique. I'm not saying there should be none at all. After all, the setting of Sui Generis is low fantasty. I'd like there to be perhaps a handful of SPECIAL items.

Just having tons of special items in game is just pandering to a lot of gamers who want to collect everything there is to be had. Why would you encourage hoarding? The mentality of "kill everything and loot all the things" is extremely poor and somewhat lazy design if you ask me.

I guess this wouldn't have been the case if Diablo hadn't had such a great impact.

Pretty much a good reason for playing this game I think.

cnileoleman

Insider
I would appreciate a material similar to Damascus (Or, the more low-fantasy Valyrian) steel. I have rather limited blacksmithing knowledge, but I know that tempering steel at different temperatures results in different colors in the end product. Might be fun to include for cosmetic purposes. On the other hand, cosmetic only details should be

I would argue that Titanium could be separated from oxygen via thaumaturgy of the energy variety. From what I remember, crafting won't be a part of the game, making items created with materials such as this very rare if implemented.

-snip-

I would argue that Titanium could be separated from oxygen via thaumaturgy of the energy variety. From what I remember, crafting won't be a part of the game, making items created with materials such as this very rare if implemented.
Seeing as you 'stole' my contribution (oh, how dare you), allow me instead to expand upon it. I agree that Titanium could perhaps be extracted and refined via thaumaturgy, and that it would be rare. Indeed, it would be very interesting to meet someone specialized in doing exactly that - Refining titanium and making weapons out of it. A Thaumic Smith, if you will. The name is even appropriate in its flexibility, too - The metal of Titans. Who wouldn't name such a wondrous metal after powerful beings? Of course, in SG perhaps there are different such powerful beings, and perhaps it would receive its name from them instead. Ah, anyway.

Zervostyrd

Insider
Why would you encourage hoarding? :eek: No hoarding? :eek::eek::eek::(
Because it gives me self esteem! (or something...) but, I don't necissarly hoard the "powerfull one of a kind" stuff I litterarly hoard anything. (infact mid-grade quality is juuust perfect for my notorius mercenary band, outfitted with whatever I can find or craft) :p

Tessaya

Insider
Seeing as you 'stole' my contribution (oh, how dare you), allow me instead to expand upon it. I agree that Titanium could perhaps be extracted and refined via thaumaturgy, and that it would be rare. Indeed, it would be very interesting to meet someone specialized in doing exactly that - Refining titanium and making weapons out of it. A Thaumic Smith, if you will. The name is even appropriate in its flexibility, too - The metal of Titans. Who wouldn't name such a wondrous metal after powerful beings? Of course, in SG perhaps there are different such powerful beings, and perhaps it would receive its name from them instead. Ah, anyway.
That's the kind of low fantasy explication I'd welcome from the bottom of my heart =D

Darkzone

Insider
Ulfberht. That is a magic sword of the viking age. The magic was in the art of making it and in the composition and purity of the steel. I think that Sui generis should be more towards this kind of exotic and magical / otherworldly materials / metals.
OR
But i have sworn to myself, not to interfer with the decision of the devs.

In the first case the game would stick to a more realistic setting and would be more honoring the craftsmanship and the ingenuity of smiths. Ulfberht was more then a sword in this times, it was a tradmark, also a sign of might and heritage, also it was a sword that was seen as the most reliable for the warrior, and yes one could say, it was viewed as it was possessing magical powers. The quality of the steel and the craftsmanship which was put into this sword, made it special.

In the second case, after i have seen the game engine over year ago, i thought that this will be one of the most intersting things, sadly i missed the kickstarter, but good that it was succesful founded. Any influence from my side could be harmful for the game. I think that it does have a celtic touch, like a tale or song of a bard. The celts did have amaizing tales of their heros. Nowadays we do not have enough things that take and develop this kind of story, instead we have to much monsters, dragons, and etc. and this monsters lose on value in this stories.
A simple hero's tale would be refreshing, and would focus on this neglected sides of RPG. Also the game engine is quite right for giving this mosters their value back, because of the realistic behavior. A werewolf with a size of 230 cm would be though his mass and size a real monster, that you have to be afraid of. A Nuckelavee, would let you shit your pants, a Banshee would mean buisness. Not the abundance of magic and non-humans make a RPG special but its scarcity. That is how i think, but this could be more harmfull than i even imagine.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.