Movement direction based on camera

piotras

Hi,

There's a lot of discussion about changes to camera and movement but I don't want to suggest camera nor target locks. I respect that SG/Exanima is trying to make something different and I tried to be very open minded about its system, but the movement/camera and dashing are very unintuitive. Of course if people like the game they will put up with it, but having intuitive controls which retain the complexity of the fighting system should be a priority.

Right now movement direction (and attacks) is based on the position of your cursor (first, upper picture). Since its position changes all the time its not an ideal point of reference. I would like to suggest movement being based on the position of your camera instead (second, lower picture). You could still centre the camera by hitting space, but it wouldn't be necessary as it is right now since doing 360* turns or running in circles around your opponent wouldn't affect your perception of direction as it would if you used the cursor for both attacking and movement.

Last edited:

Elaxter

Insider
This has been considered and beaten to death since the game first had players. It's nothing new to suggest this. The controls are fine.

Reactions: qmf

piotras

This has been considered and beaten to death since the game first had players. It's nothing new to suggest this. The controls are fine.
If this indeed comes up as often as you say then it doesn't sound like the controls are fine - quite the opposite really.

I do apologise however for duplicating threads. I have not found it via the search bar - could somebody link up to those discussions please? I'm not entirely sure why this would be considered bad in any way - besides technical implications of its implementation of which I have no knowledge of.

Last edited:

Murf

If this indeed comes up as often as you say then it doesn't sound like the controls are fine - quite the opposite really.

I do apologise however for duplicating threads. I have not found it via the search bar - could somebody link up to those discussions please? I'm not entirely sure why this would be considered bad in any way - besides technical implications of its implementation of which I have no knowledge of.

From the main forum page, type in camera and check search titles only, should get a lot of results, can do the same thing with 'control'

El Maco

Insider
This discussion always follows a pattern. You can have a look at here and here to see how it goes. Both of those threads contain the same explanation of why the current control scheme is the only way imaginable. The way I understand it, the current scheme enables 360 degree movement when you combine WASD keypresses with small adjustments with the mouse. If WASD movement happens relative to camera you're restricted to 8 directions unless you're constantly adjusting the camera angle. In order to play the game as intended, you're not supposed to adjust the camera angle at all during the battle.

Excoriate

I am new here and the first thing I read about this game => Bad camera...

I got used to it (thanks to the spacebar). How about adding an option to lock the camera to the back of the player?

So when pressing space, the camera is locked to the back of the player and released with another press, like when holding space manually. (I know there are angles when the players back faces a wall you can't see anything).

Elaxter

Insider
They have considered that too. It was actually a feature at some point but it was so negatively received that it was removed.

Just assume that most, if not all, camera/control methods have been tried.

nrage

Supporter
I am new here and the first thing I read about this game => Bad camera...
Typically written by people who haven't played enough to really understand the fine control that the current system gives. Nor do they realise how limiting camera relative movement would be. Easier, sure, better, not by a long way.

Yes, the current system is harder but it seems that it has to be (the devs have tried to make it easier without sacrificing control but haven't yet found a way to do it - and camera relative movement has been tried and has fallen short).

Heck, it's taken me almost 10 hours of solid arena fighting and only last night did I finally beat "novice" arena. After that, I fairly quickly made it to the final opponent on expert (I believe) tho I have not yet beaten them. I think something finally clicked last night.. but it took some time.

I got used to it (thanks to the spacebar). How about adding an option to lock the camera to the back of the player?

So when pressing space, the camera is locked to the back of the player and released with another press, like when holding space manually. (I know there are angles when the players back faces a wall you can't see anything).
This would make life easier for you now and you may even manage to complete the arena's or dungeon.. but against an opponent using the current control scheme you would be predictable and fairly easy game.

Some things in life are not easy, this is one of them. This is the main attraction for a lot of us...

nrage

Supporter
Heck, it's taken me almost 10 hours of solid arena fighting and only last night did I finally beat "novice" arena. After that, I fairly quickly made it to the final opponent on expert (I believe) tho I have not yet beaten them. I think something finally clicked last night.. but it took some time.
Steam tells me I've actually had 19 hours of gameplay. Some ~1-2 hours of that was messing about in the dungeon, but the rest is all arena (off and on in 1-2 hour sessions). So, that's how long it takes to get vaguely fluent with the control system (some people can beat expert without armor and I am nowhere near that!). I don't press spacebar unless I really cannot see the combatants and I now seldom get confused as to which strafe button to use, regardless of which direction my character is facing.

So, I would recommend to anyone struggling with it to invest at least 10-20 hours, playing the way the devs intend for us to play (avoid spacebar etc), and then cast judgement.

Excoriate

Steam tells me I've actually had 19 hours of gameplay. Some ~1-2 hours of that was messing about in the dungeon, but the rest is all arena (off and on in 1-2 hour sessions). So, that's how long it takes to get vaguely fluent with the control system (some people can beat expert without armor and I am nowhere near that!). I don't press spacebar unless I really cannot see the combatants and I now seldom get confused as to which strafe button to use, regardless of which direction my character is facing.

So, I would recommend to anyone struggling with it to invest at least 10-20 hours, playing the way the devs intend for us to play (avoid spacebar etc), and then cast judgement.
Hi,

I got used to the camera after several hours of playing. I am also able to play the game without centering the camera behind the char. But I personally prefer the 3rd person view from behind. Sometimes it depends on the situation and since I am more interested in single player I wouldn't mind being "predictable" since the AI will not mind (unless the devs decide the AI should xD). An option for locking/unlocking wouldn't be bad, but I could live without it. Would be just some candy for me and maybe some other players too.

nrage

Supporter
Hi,

I got used to the camera after several hours of playing. I am also able to play the game without centering the camera behind the char. But I personally prefer the 3rd person view from behind. Sometimes it depends on the situation and since I am more interested in single player I wouldn't mind being "predictable" since the AI will not mind (unless the devs decide the AI should xD). An option for locking/unlocking wouldn't be bad, but I could live without it. Would be just some candy for me and maybe some other players too.
Yeah, I also prefer how it "looks" from behind. But, it's actually more useful to have a side on view because you can better judge distance, or even a slightly more top down view. Both of those views look somehow "worse" and I'm not sure why, perhaps it's just what we're used to?

Nahkuri

The behind view would befine for judging distance and the enemies' reach as well if you could zoom in more. I'd like to be able to zoom in as much as I like. Now playing the game feels a touch too squinty for me.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.