Exanima Beta Released - NDA Lifted

Brendan

Developer
I am getting a '404 - File or directory not found' error when I click the download link. Can anybody help? :(
404 error downloading what exactly? I've just tested the downloads again to make sure as I migrated the server and all the code recently but everything seems fine right now.. Also you seem to be a £10 backer so you don't actually have access to the beta yet..

Fireman

Insider
We are as you know including all the trappings of an RPG, it is a genre that we love, we are crystal clear on what we want here and it's something we take very seriously.
Making claims is pretty easy though, so far we haven't had a single hint at the RPG-part of the game, well I suppose you could consider the character customisation to be slightly RP-ing.

Looking forward to it, but so far no interest in playing through Exanima again.

burgzaza

Insider
Making claims is pretty easy though, so far we haven't had a single hint at the RPG-part of the game
Role Play. You don't even need stats nor customisation. What about that. There is a story, a level to progress in... you can make roleplay with less than that.
Now talking about RPG common elements,
Take a look at the 'about' page.
Now if you think he is lying... it's sad.

Last edited:

tiny lampe

Insider
so far we haven't had a single hint at the RPG-part of the game, well I suppose you could consider the character customisation to be slightly RP-ing.
That's an interesting claim, and it begs the question 'what elements should a game have in order to be labeled an RPG?'

To me at least, role-playing means meaningful choices and reasonable consequences. Let me illustrate with an example: the main quest in 'TES IV: Oblivion' revolves around a large-scale demon invasion that needs to be stopped. The player can decide if he wants to pursue the main quest or stay clear of it. That's a meaningful choice. The problem is that this choice is never followed by a reasonable consequence. Indeed; if the main quest is ignored, none of the masterminds behind the demon invasion attempt to take control of the world. That's of course very immersion-breaking.

Does Ex Anima offer choices and consequences to the player? I'd say it already does to some extent; for instance, there is a clear choice when deciding how to interact with the creatures you find in the dungeon. Should you kill them all? Should you only fight those who are hostile? Should you fight no one and flee instead? Should you postpone such decision until after obtaining more information about who these creatures are (or were)? I'd say those are meaningful choices that allow for some roleplaying because they answer the question 'who is my character supposed to be?' And importantly, those choices are followed by reasonable consequences. For instance, if an originally neutral zombie witness you attacking one of his kind, he will turn hostile too.

One thing that is not implemented yet but will increase the roleplaying possibilities is the idea of earning the trust of the Ex Anima dwellers by doing them favors (giving them an object that they may like etc). I strongly believe that the roleplaying potential of a game is directly proportional to how much you can freely interact with NPCs. Ex Anima doesn't even have dialogue yet and it's honestly quite impressive what it manages to achieve without it in terms of roleplaying.

Now, things that have nothing to do with roleplaying in my opinion but, for some reason, people tend to believe they matter: numbers and labels. In the time of tabletop RPGs you needed to pick 'favourite attribute: strength' and 'class: barbarian' if you wanted to roleplay a Conan-like character. Now you don't. You simply select a character that looks strong and gear him up with armor and weapons that fit your idea of a barbarian. I don't know, Fireman, if you are one of those people that need to have numbers and labels in their games to call them RPGs. Personally I find them pointless and lazy at this day and age.

ZaratanCho

Insider
To log in to the account page you need to use the paypal or kickstarter payment email. If you don't remember the password click lost password and a new one will be sent to that email.

Last edited:

Holy.Death

Insider
Role Play. You don't even need stats nor customisation. What about that. There is a story, a level to progress in... you can make roleplay with less than that.
I'd say you need some interaction for role playing to happen. To me Exanima only has some RPG elements so far and is more a dungeon crawler than an RPG in all its glory (that title seems to be fitting Sui Generis more than Exanima). Maybe full version of Exanima will be different, but I can understand where Fireman is coming from.

burgzaza

Insider
Indeed, for now it's more a dungeon crawler type of game but Fireman said there is not a single RPG element yet, witch is false. All the scrolls and books, the equipment progression and the exploration of immersive environments... On the fresh Greenlight page it mention that
  • Character skill progression system
  • Thaumaturgic powers
  • NPC encounters with dialogue
are close to be implemented, so hopefully this will erase all doubts about if it's going to be an RPG ^^

Samwise

Supporter
404 error downloading what exactly? I've just tested the downloads again to make sure as I migrated the server and all the code recently but everything seems fine right now.. Also you seem to be a £10 backer so you don't actually have access to the beta yet..
I was trying to download the Exanima beta, I thought it was for all backers for some reason. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Vakr

Insider
So Digital Video tier (such as I originally invested in, with some 149 supposed others) despite having paid more than Digital Beta is not party to Exanima and so forth. Seems rather like I paid 10 more pounds for...The privilege of receiving less than people who paid 10 pounds fewer?

I'm not chomping at the bit, two years and four months have very much dampened my expectations, but to get an e-mail update with a link to a page that essentially indicates I paid too much to get access to Exanima but maybe if I paid 10GBP more...

Question: I have not played Exanima for a while - did it not before have an option for the camera to follow behind hero automatically during the combat?
There was a feature like that but the option was removed, deemed "experimental" from the beginning.
However, you MIGHT (big might here) be able to force it with a config ini command. Not sure what that command would be though.

Murf

Question: I have not played Exanima for a while - did it not before have an option for the camera to follow behind hero automatically during the combat?
There is still a camfollow setting in the ini file locate at %appdata%\Exanima make sure game is closed and change CamFollow = 1 (it currently shows CamFollow = 0)

not sure if it works but worth a shot. :)

Murf

There was an extremely brief problem with the CDN uploading the new version, up now and tested OK here, try again!!
it's your guys fault Brendan and dev team, don't make such a kick ass game and people won't out click ya trying to get the updates ;)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.