Diary of a dead man and Signs.

Knave

Something I liked about Dark Souls is the sign system. Leaving traces of "I was here" or hints to guide or misguide the player as he advanced. So that gave me some ideas.

1- The first suggestion I have is for the player to drop their diary on death so you (or some other character, if the Dark Souls sign system can be implemented) can find it with another character.

2- You could also add more types of texts. Not everything you can read has to be in a book or a paper. Add inscriptions on walls, objects or floors made with a knife, with blood or with the proper set of engraved runes on an item.

3- I'm 100% against making DarkSoul-esque signs flashy blood red and glowing, but more like small inscriptions or carvings here and there. Basically something to make them look less spammy.

What do you think?

Cool idea until you realize people will start drawing dicks and write very immersion breaking material. It makes the idea dead on arrival. Also, it would not really fit into the story.

I would love this idea in a perfect world and a different narrative.

Knave

Cool idea until you realize people will start drawing dicks and write very immersion breaking material.
For the diary, maybe. For the signs Dark Souls also pretty much fixed this issue by having several sentences you can say and you can't. "Amazing chest ahead" was the only sentence that managed to break immersion. It was fun, though.

For the diary, maybe. For the signs Dark Souls also pretty much fixed this issue by having several sentences you can say and you can't. "Amazing chest ahead" was the only sentence that managed to break immersion. It was fun, though.
It broke my immersion seeing the same combination of words used exhaustively everywhere for comic effect.

Knave

At worst, finding YOUR previous character's skeleton and diary diablo style would be ok. At least if your immersion breaks there it will be your fault. For the online mode part you're right, sadly

At worst, finding YOUR previous character's skeleton and diary diablo style would be ok. At least if your immersion breaks there it will be your fault. For the online mode part you're right, sadly
Yeah, there was a game with a similar mechanic. A roguelike called IVAN. You could literally meet your old character with all your previous gear and fight him. If you managed to kill him you would retrieve all your old items.

Maybe limiting the number of words? like reaaaly limited so people must be precise and smart on what words to use, like 3 or so. So you would have to think about what to write and what to interpret from what you just found, and also it woudnt give room for the trolls to troll too much.

bobchaos

I like the idea in it's most open form, and let trolls be trolls: with no major plans for online MP they'll be wrecking only their own game

Knave

Jokes aside, that would STILL be surprisingly realistic. Behold:

http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

Some of the jewels in there are:
"II.7 (gladiator barracks); 8767: Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion."

V.5 (just outside the Vesuvius gate); 6641: Defecator, may everything turn out okay so that you can leave this place

I.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

Jokes aside, that would STILL be surprisingly realistic. Behold:

http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

Some of the jewels in there are:
"II.7 (gladiator barracks); 8767: Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion."

V.5 (just outside the Vesuvius gate); 6641: Defecator, may everything turn out okay so that you can leave this place

I.2.20 (Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio); 3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!
This reminds me of a YT video from Lindybeige about ancient Roman graffitis.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.