Dark Souls II announced; PC version confirmed

NT122

Insider
So very excited for this game!!! It seems like Dark Souls II will use GFW rather than GFWL. Apparently they are different. Crossing my fingers for Steamworks!

Pantheon

Insider
Yeah, GfW is just a certification, that is awarded if certain things are met, so that wouldn't be bad at all, besides having the ugly "Games for Windows" logo on the box art.
Let's hope it's not using GfWL, but as From Software still has no real experience with the PC, it's likely that they will use GfWL again, as it is pretty similiar to Xbox Live.

BrecMadak

Insider
At first glance i was pretty excited even though it would come out late 2013 at best. Then after i read that the mastermind behind DS, Hidetaka Miyazakiis no longer behind the wheel on this follow-up, i had my worries built up. New director's comments worried me a bit, with his sayings "I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle". Which is quite the opposite stance where DS is all about, and will be.

Wish the game will not loose its quality by lowering the default difficulty, cause 'more accessible' means that more mass are to be seeken to get involved in. Let's hope the game shall not loose its charm with no frills and uncompromising manner that was born within, otherwise it could piss off its (vanguard) hardcore fanbase which would be a disastrous end for DS.

Also ENM has a good analysis of the trailer, worth a listen.

Pantheon

Insider
I think by "more direct" and "more accessible" he talks about story and some game mechanics.
A story wasn't really there. You were some undead in some quest for some unknown reason and that's about it. The lore behind the game is absolutely amazing. The whole background story and those things told through item descriptions, NPCs and stuff, but YOUR story was pretty much non-existant.
Also some mechanics weren't explained much, like weapon upgrading, the covenants and so forth. I believe that no one ever tells you that you can use boss souls to craft special weapons, for example.

I doubt they will change something like the difficulty, because that's what makes Dark Souls so special, but let's see. Shouldn't be too long before they'll tell us more.

Ickorus

Insider
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505206

That interview really alleviated a lot of my worries about the change in director and some of the comments made by him when it was initially revealed.

I'm a massive fan of the series so naturally I'm very excited to play it and hopefully when I go to Gamescom this year (Well, I'm planning to anyway) I'll be able to play a demo of it perhaps.

I also plan on playing a non-standard build on my first playthrough as well, began playing as a rapier wielding mage recently and fell in love with the playstyle, dexterity is actually a really good stat in conjunction with magic.

Komuflage

Insider
I'm just worried they're making it even more casual than Dark souls 1 :(
I just can't stand the stupid crafting system in Dark Souls.

Komuflage

Insider
No, the crafting system in Demon's souls was really good, it's quite complexed compared to that of Dark souls.
One of the biggest difference is that in Dark souls u always need 9(?) of the first crafting material to upgrade any weapon from standard to +5, while in Demon's souls "better" weapon needed more stones.

That way, a dagger could be a much more valuable choice instead of a Longsword, since the dagger might only need 5 stones, and the sword 12 to go from standard to +5.
This way more weapons are a valid choice early on.
While in dark souls a shortsword becomes obsolete very fast compared to a claymore in terms of damage.

Other than that the choices of upgrades in Dark souls are very few. either u can go the normal path, which only upgrade damage, and stats bonuses. Raw, which increases damage even more, but reduce stats bonuses and can only go to +5, so a +15normal is always superior to a +5raw.
Then u got crystal which only increase damage further and lower durability.

Then fire, electric, magic and divine which only ad a secondary type of damage (And the humanity version, Chaos, Ocult etc)

In Demon's souls, u could go with the normal path. Crushing or Sharp (Increases STR or DEX bonuses respectively) Quality which evens out STR and DEX, Dragon which remove stats bonus but add fire dmg.
Tearing which increases damage and Dex bonus (But not as much as Sharp) however it ads Bleeding damage.
Mercury which basically does what Tearing does, only less damage but poision instead of bleeding.
Fatal which increase damage by a small amount, but ads bonus critical damage.

Then u have Moon and Cresent, which adds magic damage, Cresent also ads MP reg, but removes str and dex bonuses.
Then u have blessed which increase magic damage, but based on Faith instead of Magic, also ads HP regeneration, and lowers STR and DEX bonuses.
Sticky which greatly increases Dex and lowers STR (bows only)
Dark which increases Magic dmg reduction, but wont give any more Guard break reduction (Shields only)

Basically u had much more choice depending on what type of character u build.

In Dark souls u only got either STR, Magic or faith builds, then u got weapon that are made for Dex builds, but u cant really upgrade the dex bonus much, hence dex is so useless in Dark souls. Also u cant make poision weapons or similar, and there is only 2 weapons in Dark souls that have poision.

Sry, wrote this quite fast, so it might be a little unorganized.

Mello

Insider
Dex is useless in dark souls? That's the complete opposite of everything I've experienced in my 200 hours or heard from people who have played more than me...

Komuflage

Insider
Dex is useless in dark souls? That's the complete opposite of everything I've experienced in my 200 hours or heard from people who have played more than me...
ok ok might have exaggerated a bit, point is, in Dark souls, if u're for instance a dex build, there is no upgrade path to chose from that does anything else than just increasing physical damage output. (Normal and Crystal)
While in Demon's souls, U could either use the normal path, or the sharp path, or Tearing, or Mercury.

There is less choice, and the system itself is easier, 0 - +5 cost 9 small stones. +5 - +10 cost 9(can't remember the exact number) medium stones, and +10 - +15 cost 9 big stones.

For instance, when they were making Dark souls they talked about that each weapon would feel different, and they wanted the player to bond with their weapon, instead of just throwing it away as soon as they find something better.
However, if I play with a shortsword +5, there is no reason to keep it once I find a Longsword (Since I can easily upgrade it to +5 for 7200 souls) While in Demon's souls, u might chose a Short sword over a Long sword, since even if the longsword will be better, the shortsword only cost 2/3 to upgrade to +5.

Komuflage

Insider
Also, in Demon's souls, each different upgrade path required a unique stone, so sometimes u might chose the Tearing path over the Sharp path for ur Uchigatana, since that weapon required a hell lot of stones to upgrade, and blade stones (used for the sharp path) was very rare, while suckerstone (yeas it's called that (Used for tearing)) was much easier to get.

In Dark souls, Normal, Crystal, Raw, Lighting, Requires the same stone, and Divine, magic, and fire, require the same stone till +5 and then a total of 10 special stones for each one

Scarecrow

Insider
I am a fan of the souls series myself, but i have to admit that i enjoyed Demon's Souls more than i enjoyed Dark Souls. Don't know about you, but i found it quite a bit more difficult. I never thought much about the crafting system in Demon's Souls, i usually just ran with the Blue blood Sword, or Northern Regaila. Currently im running a dex/faith build myself in Dark Souls, and it works perfectly well even though it just means i upgraded my Falchion or Washing Pole to +15 Standard.

At first i also was a bit concerned when i heared that Dark Souls 2 would have a new Game Director and stuff, but from what i've seen and heard im no longer worried. The Mirror Knight boss fight sounds awesome aswell, making a somewhat return from what they did in the Queens Tower in Demon's Souls (Where a player would actually get summoned by the final boss of that world, to fight for him as a champion against another player. That was epic.)

Tom

Insider
Regarding the recent interview video with the director, all I'm thinking is HELL YES. He touched on all the important topics (keeping the core while innovating the game), and that is enough to make me relax and wait for the thing to come out.

I didn't play Demon Souls, only watched a Let's Play by Squint, and I wish I had played it, too.

My only complaint on Dark Souls (the original) is that some places weren't just hard - they were sadistic.

Without giving away stuff: Sen's Fortress. Hidden bonfires. Bed of Chaos. That crossing on Anor Londo - you know the one. Invisible bridges. Insta-death falls. Bosses that require you to previously defeat a enemy outside of the boss zone in order to make it actually possible to beat the boss (and there's no way you can know this beforehand).

There aren't many, but those are enough to keep many people away, and unnecessarily so.

Komuflage

Insider
My only complaint on Dark Souls (the original) is that some places weren't just hard - they were sadistic.

Without giving away stuff: Sen's Fortress. Hidden bonfires. Bed of Chaos. That crossing on Anor Londo - you know the one. Invisible bridges. Insta-death falls. Bosses that require you to previously defeat a enemy outside of the boss zone in order to make it actually possible to beat the boss (and there's no way you can know this beforehand).

There aren't many, but those are enough to keep many people away, and unnecessarily so.
Imo Dark souls is more difficult, but Demon's souls require more skills. The bosses in Demon's souls were more fair, if u died it was completely ur fault. while in dark souls, some bosses "cheat" (Stunlocking for instance)

However, what boss do u need to defeat an enemy outside the boss zone in order to beat? (Long time ago I played.)

Scarecrow

Insider
Imo Dark souls is more difficult, but Demon's souls require more skills. The bosses in Demon's souls were more fair, if u died it was completely ur fault. while in dark souls, some bosses "cheat" (Stunlocking for instance)

However, what boss do u need to defeat an enemy outside the boss zone in order to beat? (Long time ago I played.)
SPOILER ALERT: This is in response to Komuflage's question. (I don't know how the use the spoiler function, lol)

The boss in Sen's Fortress, the iron Golem. Just upstairs by the boss fog, there's a giant who will throw nasty shiet at you unless you kill him. Also, the Gaping Dragon (Boss before Blight Town), there's a sorcerer that will attack you from above during the boss fight unless you kill him. You can also kill him during the boss fight however, with ranged attacks. The boss fight isn't impossible even if you haven't killed him, but it becomes a bit harder.

In the Crystal Cavern where you fight Seath The Scaleless for the second time, you also have to destroy that crystal, although that imo was fairly obvious. Just thought i'd mention that aswell.

Reactions: Tom

Komuflage

Insider
Yea right, now I remember :)
Well, like u say u don't Have to kill them.
It was "worse" in Demon's souls, there were a boss that, unless u killed a specific normal mob, would respawn after u killed it.

Scarecrow

Insider
Yea right, now I remember :)
Well, like u say u don't Have to kill them.
It was "worse" in Demon's souls, there were a boss that, unless u killed a specific normal mob, would respawn after u killed it.
I seem to remember something like this. Which boss was this again, i can't remember exactly which one

Parco

too bad demon's souls isnt for pc, dark souls pc version was poorly ported so it was rly annoying to play with keyboard and mouse, had to connect my xbox controller to get comfortable playing the game. i hope they are making a proper pc port this time and not rushing it just to get it out on market.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.