Coffee Diary 24/10/22

Zetheros

Developer
Hey Exanimates,

We're now mostly moving on from general AI changes, there will need to be some testing and tweaking, so we're looking at other things that can be tested at the same time. Specifically we're getting into the pathfinding system updates. We briefly mentioned this before as some of the planned changes feel necessary for the upcoming content, but they are already relevant, will improve the game in general and support a lot more in future.

The key change to the pathfinding is basically making it a lot more 3D. While the current pathfinding is basically a 2D map, the new system is a 3D map based on detailed voxel data. This properly supports multiple levels (verticality) and allows AI to understand how deep a drop is and potentially support future climbing and jumping actions, or even crawling. 3D objects in different orientations are described much more accurately (imagine an upside down table), which can also be used to build ramps or bridges to create new paths. Beyond these new features, this is a more stable approach that should result in less getting stuck or AI failing to recognise dangerous drops and so on.

From the AI perspective we're also including support for preferred paths based on "terrain types" and the like, this would for example encourage characters to walk over a paved path or stairway rather than the rougher ground near it. This behaviour and general path choices can change based on urgency or emotional states. Another important change we're working towards is high level logic that considers things like doors, and eventually interaction with them.

Finally we want to improve performance by offloading pathfinding work from the main physics and AI. Pathfinding is generally not very time critical, as in it really doesn't matter if it takes AI a few more milliseconds to figure out exactly where they're going next. This means we can put expensive pathfinding work in the background, freeing up resources for physics and having more active characters at once.

We don't need to make all these changes at once, even a basic version of the new system represents an immediate improvement over what we have, and removes a lot of headaches from content creation and dealing with problematic cases. Importantly this new system has been carefully designed to support everything we might need it do in the future, we can build on this without worrying about running into technical limitations that could invalidate or complicate our work.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

Examineuh

Y'all are the living embodiment of that Lincoln quote, "Give me 6 hours to chop down a tree and I'll spend 4 sharpening the axe."
Your inspiring commitment to doing the job right is just fantastic

Midcal9

Can you guys please get some funding and expand your team.
I have spent roughly 100 euro on buying Exanima's for my friends. Do the same. however, even if you were to drop extra 20k euro on Madoc-sama I doubt he would expand his team, if you were to drop extra 100k he might. I think, maybe. I think, and this is my guess after having some wonderful convos with him on this forum, is that he is extremely careful about who he works with, and how well they comprehend his team's goal and approach, he might even see extra help as something that would require further explanations by him and his crew which in the end would be more of a time and effort waste. On top of that you gotta keep in mind for how long they, as a team of 4 have been working on this project, an introduction of a newbie would, or could, upset their lonely struggle to complete this game in 2 to 10 years in the future provided all of them will stay alive.

They fight against the modern day corpo domination of the gaming industry! They are akin to a medieval guild! Huzzah.

Ganthor

Yeah even if they got a windfall of cash I don't think they would expand their team. Anyone who is looking at this project and expecting results is missing the point by a mile. This is not a AAA game dev studio and you should be glad that they aren't. You cannot come to an indie studio with these results-oriented expectations. If you haven't noticed, deadline-based, results-oriented game development has literally ruined the entire gaming industry. "Wah wah why isn't game done" the person complains. "Wah wah why didn't they finish the game" that same person complains when the AAA studio drops the turd. You cannot have your cake and eat it too, let the damn team work. This isn't the only videogame in the world and you didn't even spend 60 bucks on it. I get real tired of the people who spent 15 bucks 10 years ago popping into the forums demanding a refund

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.