Believable RPGs

Don Kanaille

Insider
Risen 1, which isn´t exactly much of a stretch as it is a spiritual successor to the Gothic series by the same studio. It has it´s flaws though: Side quests drop off quite noticably after the first act and the finale is atrocious, especially for mages.
Also, I found Risen 2 and 3 to be quite underwhelming.

Last edited:

Tottel

Insider
Very nice article; I really should give Gothic a try.
I agree with Don Kanaille about Risen: It's a very immersive game with believable characters and quests. The ending was horrible, but I still enjoyed the game a lot up to that point. It's funny how immersive it can be at times: when I started out going to the swamp, I quickly became used to that environment. When I then proceeded to the city, I really felt like a homeless bum, completely out of place.

Nehrim is a total conversion for Oblivion which managed to capture the same essences. The world was designed to make sense as you explore it and I thoroughly enjoyed the story too. It's a world where magic has been outlawed and anyone seen practising it is dealt with very quickly by the ruling powers.
Despite using Oblivion as a base, they managed to turn it into an amazing game that I can recommend anyone to play.
Also, the same team (SureAI) spent the last 4 years making a new total conversion for Skyrim. The German has been released at the start of this month, and the English version is expected to come out in 2 weeks.
Check it out: http://www.moddb.com/mods/enderal

Apart from these, you're absolutely right.. Most RPGs out there are shallow experiences with unconvincing characters, societies and world design.

I'm also quite sure that Sui Generis will be added to this very short list above.

Don Kanaille

Insider
Very nice article; I really should give Gothic a try.
You should. Gothic is good, for the reasons mentioned. It also was my first contact with what later became one of my favorite bands, who have a guest appearance in the game.
Gothic 2 is a straight-forward improvement of the first part with lots of recurring characters. And all of the good parts of Gothic are still there. Though balancing was a bit off, as the beginning of the game was hard, but became too easy once you advanced into the higher tier of your faction, especially if you were a mage who saved lots of skill points: A brutal first act as novice, but once you became master you could depopulate entire landscapes with rains of fire, hordes of skeletons and summoned demons while hardly raising a finger (though not both of the latter at the same time, as they did not get along long well). There was an addon, Night of the Raven, which added some extra areas and side factions, but skewerd the balance a bit too much in the opposite direction, as skills were now so expensive you had a tough time training your character properly.
Gothic 3 was a technical disaster at launch, but I heared that with all the updates, patches and community fixes, it became a quite good game eventually. However due to its issues it failed so hard that the studio lost the rights to the brand, and Gothic 4 Arcania was made by someone else and has hardly anything in common with the other three games.

Deityfierezy

Insider
You should. Gothic is good, for the reasons mentioned. It also was my first contact with what later became one of my favorite bands, who have a guest appearance in the game.
Gothic 2 is a straight-forward improvement of the first part with lots of recurring characters. And all of the good parts of Gothic are still there. Though balancing was a bit off, as the beginning of the game was hard, but became too easy once you advanced into the higher tier of your faction, especially if you were a mage who saved lots of skill points: A brutal first act as novice, but once you became master you could depopulate entire landscapes with rains of fire, hordes of skeletons and summoned demons while hardly raising a finger (though not both of the latter at the same time, as they did not get along long well). There was an addon, Night of the Raven, which added some extra areas and side factions, but skewerd the balance a bit too much in the opposite direction, as skills were now so expensive you had a tough time training your character properly.
Gothic 3 was a technical disaster at launch, but I heared that with all the updates, patches and community fixes, it became a quite good game eventually. However due to its issues it failed so hard that the studio lost the rights to the brand, and Gothic 4 Arcania was made by someone else and has hardly anything in common with the other three games.
Well PB have the rigths back, we need a remake so the other studios learn how its done. (Bethesda, im talking to you)

Qazlal

As for me Gothic 1 is very good game, Gothic 2 The Night of the Raven is one of the best RPGs, Gothic 3 is mediocre RPG and should not be named Gothic.
I played Risen 1 and 2 not for long, but found nothing interesting in them.
In my opinion Elex will be nothing but another mediocre RPG as it was with Risen series. Or worse.

Huatim

Insider
As for me Gothic 1 is very good game, Gothic 2 The Night of the Raven is one of the best RPGs, Gothic 3 is mediocre RPG and should not be named Gothic.
I played Risen 1 and 2 not for long, but found nothing interesting in them.
In my opinion Elex will be nothing but another mediocre RPG as it was with Risen series. Or worse.
Yes i don't know what to think with this trialer, the ending is :confused:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.