About to do a big mistake, buying new gaming computer :D

Tony

Insider
Yeah, I heard the same about Alienware. I've only ever used Dell and Intel, but I don't know how much more expensive their already built systems are compared to building one yourself, with the same components. Personally I think if I get the components on my own I'll make a dumb mistake that's common sense to people who know this stuff.
Assembling a PC is pretty basic usually. Most parts just attach to a slot on the motherboard. There are several decent guides on the internet which walk you through the process step-by-step in detail. And if you still weren't certain about something feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll answer any questions you might have. I've been putting PCs together for the past 13 years or so :)

Oona

Insider
Assembling a PC is pretty basic usually. Most parts just attach to a slot on the motherboard. There are several decent guides on the internet which walk you through the process step-by-step in detail. And if you still weren't certain about something feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll answer any questions you might have. I've been putting PCs together for the past 13 years or so :)
That's great! Thank you! I'll take you up on that offer! ;)
Some of my issues are, what if I get components that don't fit in the case slot? And I had no idea about how many watts are enough, or that the water cooler system is not a good choice for a starter builder because of how hard it is to assemble... And I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg! lol! So that's why I might go for a pre-built desktop...

Komuflage

Insider
That's great! Thank you! I'll take you up on that offer! ;)
Some of my issues are, what if I get components that don't fit in the case slot? And I had no idea about how many watts are enough, or that the water cooler system is not a good choice for a starter builder because of how hard it is to assemble... And I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg! lol! So that's why I might go for a pre-built desktop...
Well, every decent site will list the size of the components, as well as max length of components that'll fit in a specific chassis. Same thing goes for the Watt requirement.

Tony

Insider
Components almost always list their dimensions and PC cases are designed to work with (fit) certain motherboards. The two most common motherboard sizes are microATX and standard ATX. As far as PC cases go the three most common sizes are micro, mid and full sized.

I don't recommend using a micro sized case because it restricts airflow and you'll be forced to use a micro sized motherboard. A mid sized case will fit most all components you need (including a standard ATX motherboard) and is a compromise between a full size and micro sized case. Mid size PC cases are the most common. People usually only use a full sized case if they plan on adding water cooling (water cooling is not necessary but is sometimes used when people plan on overclocking their components) or if they need a lot of space for extra hard drives (4 or more).

As far as how many watts for a power supply I'd say you'd be fine with anything 700+. It depends on what components you are going to use (if you're using one video card and a quad core processor, with one or two hard drives, 700 watts is more than enough to power it).

Last edited:

Oona

Insider
Well, every decent site will list the size of the components, as well as max length of components that'll fit in a specific chassis. Same thing goes for the Watt requirement.
Good point! I guess I'm just worrying over nothing really, I'm afraid I'll overlook little things like that and get something that doesn't make sense. All this technical stuff is really not my niche. :oops:

Components almost always list their dimensions and PC cases are designed to work with (fit) certain motherboards. The two most common motherboard sizes are microATX and standard ATX. As far as PC cases go the three most common sizes are micro, mid and full sized.

I don't recommend using a micro sized case because it restricts airflow and you'll be forced to used a micro sized motherboard. A mid sized case will fit most all components you need (including a standard ATX motherboard) and is a compromise between a full size and micro sized case. Mid size PC cases are the most common. People usually only use a full sized case if they plan on adding water cooling (water cooling is not necessary but is sometimes used when people plan on overclocking their components) or if they need a lot of space for extra hard drives (4 or more).

As far as how many watts for a power supply I'd say you'd be fine with anything 700+. It depends on what components you are going to use (if you're using one video card and a quad core processor, with one or two hard drives, 700 watts is more than enough to power it).
Thanks! Will definitely take that into account!

Brendan

Developer
You do tend to pay a premium for pre-built systems and more again for big brands like Alienware/Dell, but you can sometimes get good deals (i.e. certain combinations of offers and voucher codes) which bring them close. The main advantage is warranty, in the event of a problem they will send an engineer to your house where as if you build a system yourself it's down to you to figure out what's wrong and get it fixed (individual components still have warranties of course). The main disadvantage is the lack of customisation options, choices of cooling or specific components, no overclocking etc.

In your case @Oona a pre-built system with a custom configuration from a smaller supplier might be a good compromise. This one from Overclockers UK looks pretty good (and they do international delivery), not too expensive and you get a decent range of choices for everything: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_int.php?prodid=FS-387-OE

Not sure how much you're looking to spend and you would want to tweak it to your liking, but on the higher end as an example config this would be an awesome gaming PC for £1,570 (inc. VAT):

Cooler Master Silencio 650 Silent Tower Case - Black
Stage 1 Intel: Overclock of CPU - 4.2GHz Overclock - Haswell K Edition Processors Only
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
TeamGroup Vulcan ORANGE 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x OC 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Samsung 120GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TD120BW)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache WD10EZEX - OEM ** Single Platter ** HDD
OcUK 20x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance Gaming Sound Card - OEM
Corsair AX760i Digital ATX '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply
Case Mods Not Selected
Networking Not Selected
Keyboard Not Selected
Mouse Not Selected
System Build Fan - Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PLPS - 120mm PWM
Monitor Not Selected
Speakers Not Selected
Game Controller Not Selected
Standard Build Systems - Approximately 5-7 working days

In terms of noise you've got:
Some sound proofing and a total of 11 fans; 4 x 120mm case fans with a max of 1200rpm, 3 x 140mm low rpm fans for the PSU and CPU, and 3 x 75mm fans for the graphics card. Nothing too fast and whiney (which I personally find the most annoying) and overall it should be reasonably quiet while maintaining a very respectable cooling performance. Also that AX760i is the best PSU on the market, something worth paying extra for particularly if you want a quiet PC as more efficiency = less heat to dissipate in the first place, its fan doesn't even come on <~150w load and even at 600w it only spins at ~1000rpm (and this is with 40c ambient: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/AX760i/6.html).

In terms of performance you've got:
4 of the fastest CPU cores around (~10% quicker than an i7 2600k and ~5% quicker than an i7 3770k at the same clock speed) running at 4.2ghz, which is pretty damn fast and a perfectly reasonable overclock that you don't have to worry about given the awesome components involved (i.e. best PSU, best motherboard VRMs and good cooling). You haven't got hyperthreading (the only difference between this and the 4770k), but that's useless for games anyway (as is more cores). You've also got the fastest RAM around (speeds tend to go down with denser chips, more slots used and higher overclocks), only 8GB but that's fine (and cheap!). Finally you have one most beastly graphics card, which let's face it is the most important component for 3D games!

The soundcard is something often overlooked these days (even that £2.2k Alienware doesn't bother!) but definitely worth having in my opinion; mostly just because onboard sound really sucks (even in high end motherboards like Asus ROG with SupremeFX add-in cards), but also because they have their own processors which take a load off the CPU.

Tony

Insider
The system Brendan posted looks like a great system (it would be able to play any new game with max settings) and reasonably priced too. I am not familiar with stores in the EU since I am from USA so again Brendan would know better than I about what stores/sites in the EU are best to buy from.

Also, as Brendan noted, they have already overclocked the processor on that PC to boost its performance so you wouldn't need to worry about doing it yourself (overclocking isn't necessary but it is a great way to get more performance if you have decent enough cooling to allow it - which that PC does).

Oona

Insider
You do tend to pay a premium for pre-built systems and more again for big brands like Alienware/Dell, but you can sometimes get good deals (i.e. certain combinations of offers and voucher codes) which bring them close. The main advantage is warranty, in the event of a problem they will send an engineer to your house where as if you build a system yourself it's down to you to figure out what's wrong and get it fixed (individual components still have warranties of course). The main disadvantage is the lack of customisation options, choices of cooling or specific components, no overclocking etc.

In your case @Oona a pre-built system with a custom configuration from a smaller supplier might be a good compromise. This one from Overclockers UK looks pretty good (and they do international delivery), not too expensive and you get a decent range of choices for everything: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_int.php?prodid=FS-387-OE

Not sure how much you're looking to spend and you would want to tweak it to your liking, but on the higher end as an example config this would be an awesome gaming PC for £1,570 (inc. VAT):

Cooler Master Silencio 650 Silent Tower Case - Black
Stage 1 Intel: Overclock of CPU - 4.2GHz Overclock - Haswell K Edition Processors Only
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 CPU Cooler
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
TeamGroup Vulcan ORANGE 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 WindForce 3x OC 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Samsung 120GB SSD 840 SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TD120BW)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache WD10EZEX - OEM ** Single Platter ** HDD
OcUK 20x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance Gaming Sound Card - OEM
Corsair AX760i Digital ATX '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply
Case Mods Not Selected
Networking Not Selected
Keyboard Not Selected
Mouse Not Selected
System Build Fan - Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PLPS - 120mm PWM
Monitor Not Selected
Speakers Not Selected
Game Controller Not Selected
Standard Build Systems - Approximately 5-7 working days

In terms of noise you've got:
Some sound proofing and a total of 11 fans; 4 x 120mm case fans with a max of 1200rpm, 3 x 140mm low rpm fans for the PSU and CPU, and 3 x 75mm fans for the graphics card. Nothing too fast and whiney (which I personally find the most annoying) and overall it should be reasonably quiet while maintaining a very respectable cooling performance. Also that AX760i is the best PSU on the market, something worth paying extra for particularly if you want a quiet PC as more efficiency = less heat to dissipate in the first place, its fan doesn't even come on <~150w load and even at 600w it only spins at ~1000rpm (and this is with 40c ambient: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/AX760i/6.html).

In terms of performance you've got:
4 of the fastest CPU cores around (~10% quicker than an i7 2600k and ~5% quicker than an i7 3770k at the same clock speed) running at 4.2ghz, which is pretty damn fast and a perfectly reasonable overclock that you don't have to worry about given the awesome components involved (i.e. best PSU, best motherboard VRMs and good cooling). You haven't got hyperthreading (the only difference between this and the 4770k), but that's useless for games anyway (as is more cores). You've also got the fastest RAM around (speeds tend to go down with denser chips, more slots used and higher overclocks), only 8GB but that's fine (and cheap!). Finally you have one most beastly graphics card, which let's face it is the most important component for 3D games!

The soundcard is something often overlooked these days (even that £2.2k Alienware doesn't bother!) but definitely worth having in my opinion; mostly just because onboard sound really sucks (even in high end motherboards like Asus ROG with SupremeFX add-in cards), but also because they have their own processors which take a load off the CPU.
Ooooo!!! I'm definitely getting this! Thank you so much Brendan!! :) you're awesome ^.^

Last edited:

Parco

i got my computer 2 days ago and it is awesome. no lags and great graphics, long time since ive experienced this while gaming. i also tried streaming/recording with 1080p and didnt notice any drop in performance. again thanks for the help Rob and Brendan

ZaratanCho

Insider
I guess i will also use this thread for good advice.

My pc is pretty old and i think it will not run SG well, it is:
CPU Amd athlon 64 X2 3800+, Ati radeon hd 5700 series (5770 i think) and 3 gb of ram.

I might be getting a new one and have been looking in some sites for now, trying to figure out a system for 800$ tops. I will use it mainly for SG and some drawing programs. For cpu i was looking at intel i3 and the cheapest i5, the z87 assrock motherboards seemed good though i'm not sure since im not really looking to make big upgrades in the future. For video card i was looking at GTX 650 Ti boost. As far as HDD goes i don't need a very big one 500gb will be more than enough. Can't really decide on details and for wich parts to go cheaper so i can spend more on others.

Some advice will be much appriciated. ;d

Tessaya

Insider
Just be sure to put at least 8 Gb of ram, and if you have extra money a SSD (wouldn't recommend less than 60 Go dedicated for the OS) might prove a very worthy improvement to your system. Even if you can't do it now, in the future if you want to upgrade it might be a sure start.

Brendan

Developer
I guess i will also use this thread for good advice.

My pc is pretty old and i think it will not run SG well, it is:
CPU Amd athlon 64 X2 3800+, Ati radeon hd 5700 series (5770 i think) and 3 gb of ram.

I might be getting a new one and have been looking in some sites for now, trying to figure out a system for 800$ tops. I will use it mainly for SG and some drawing programs. For cpu i was looking at intel i3 and the cheapest i5, the z87 assrock motherboards seemed good though i'm not sure since im not really looking to make big upgrades in the future. For video card i was looking at GTX 650 Ti boost. As far as HDD goes i don't need a very big one 500gb will be more than enough. Can't really decide on details and for wich parts to go cheaper so i can spend more on others.

Some advice will be much appriciated. ;d
That's a tight budget for a new gaming PC (assuming you mean USD!) but doable. My recommendation is always (Nvidia > AMD) GPU > CPU > everything else. The GTX 760 would be a lot faster if your budget can stretch to it, but the 650 Ti boost you suggested is a good choice for the money if not. Intel CPU's are superior no doubt, but SG (and probably most other games these days) will run best with 3+ cores so I'd take a 6 core AMD (which is basically only 3 cores) over the i3. Even if you don't need the space, you might as well get a single platter 1TB HDD as performance is better (the most important stats for a mechanical drive are spindle speed and areal density, i.e. platter size) and the price difference is negligible. Pretty much any motherboard will be fine as you'd need better cooling etc. for overclocking anyway. Any case with at least 2x 120mm fans (i.e. either a bottom end one with an extra 120mm fan or slightly higher end one with 2 included) will be fine as will pretty much any PSU that isn't bottom end (i.e. the horrible ones included with cheap cases). Obviously your specific component choices will depend on stock/prices but looking at Overclockers UK right now I'd go for something like this:

MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (£158.29)£189.95
AMD Piledriver FX-6 Six Core 6300 Black Edition 3.50GHz (Socket AM3+) Processor - Retail (£71.66)£85.99
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AMD 970A (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard (£47.49)£56.99
TeamGroup Vulcan ORANGE 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLAD38G2400HC11CDC01) (£46.66)£55.99
EVGA 600W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply (100-B1-0600-KR) (£41.66)£49.99
Corsair Carbide 200R Compact ATX Case - Black (CC-9011023-WW) (£39.99)£47.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003) HDD (£36.66)£43.99

That comes to £530 inc. VAT which is a little over budget but worth it! ;)

ZaratanCho

Insider
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. ;D

I guess it is a bit much to call it a gaming system because i will probably play only SG(some other things too Maybe, on rare ocassion, the very 'heavy' games don't really appeal to me as games anyway ;D). My brother bought an off the shelf average pc 1-2 years ago and even now i could play anything i want on high settings smoothly(Mass effect/s, Skyrim with enb and alot of mods,The Witcher 2 was a bit harsh but i could still play it ;D).

I was looking at the gtx 760 range but the price jump seemed a bit much, though i agree it is worth it and will most likely go with it. I will try to stick closely to the parts you reccomended, just need to find where to get them from around here since all the supposedly good(and bad ;D) sites i checked lack some things. I will probably get it in january but this month is also a possibility i think, who knows i'll ask around.

Allright. We'll see how things go in the next weeks.

Cheers.

Brendan

Developer
No worries!

Yeah to be honest your PC isn't even that bad (assuming you do have a 5770), SG will run on it just fine as is, not buttery smooth on max settings but OK. The weakest elements of your system (for the most important purpose of running SG!) are having a mediocre AMD card and only 2 CPU cores; visual quality and performance would be better with an Nvidia card as AMD ones are a bit hacky/spas and the game will have 3 main threads so another CPU core would help. 3GB RAM is enough though, having more won't make any difference.

The cheaper option would be to upgrade instead of buying a new PC. If you're really not worried about other games (which would benefit from more RAM etc.), you could just get a GTX 760 and a quad core CPU (unlike the new FX range, the older AMD Athlon/Phenom II CPU's which should be compatible with your motherboard are true quad/hex cores) for quite a bit less and SG would run just as well. You might need a new PSU and possibly an extra fan too but it would still cost less...

If you are interested in the upgrade route, you'll need to check which CPU socket your motherboard has and whether your PSU has the right power connectors for the graphics card. The 760 needs both an 8-pin and a 6-pin PCI-E connector which you're unlikely to have. To check the motherboard run CPU-Z which you can download here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

ZaratanCho

Insider
I'm pretty sure it is 5770, though the card doesn't work well with this motherboard. PC needs some time to boot(just sits on black screen until it works things out ;d) and sometimes it seems like the CPU fan is not spinning fast enough and it can't start up. The pc is i don't know... 5 years old, probably. Only the video card has been changed at some point. It was sitting around as a back up, but i have to use it now. Might sell it to a second hand store and add the money for the new one or something. It does work ok overall, but there are little things that annoy me and if i go for upgrade, might as well make a new one. And considering it is unlikely i will be buying another pc after the one you are helping me build, ever, some extra power i might not use is fine i guess. ;d

Zantite

Insider
I would wait to build a new PC for the price drops etc.
But you should also wait because DDR4 memory and motherboards will be coming out soon.

Cooper Holt

Insider
I just got a new Razer keyboard. It's called a Razer BlaclkWidow, and it's awesome. It's gonna take some getting used to, but having mechanical keys is nice. I'm already used to those. :D

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.