Insider
Nvidia GTX 580 = 37 GP/s
Nvidia GTX 680 = 32.2 GP/s
Nvidia GTX 760 = 31.6 GP/s
Nvidia GTX 770 = 33.5 GP/s
Nvidia GTX 780 = 41.4 GP/s
Nvidia GTX Titan = 40.2 GP/s
AMD 7970 Ghz = 32 GP/s
I just have to jump in here and ask, if the pixel fill rate GP/s is what's most important for SG, would my old 5970 - 46.4GP/s outperform a titan? :eek:

*Going back to lurking.*

Parco

Much better!

Didn't realise there was a 4771, but it sounds like a pointless chip (Intel just bumped the clock speed up 100mhz to match the unlocked 4770k)... Just as Rob said I'd suggest getting the 4770k instead if you're going to overclock, and you really might as well, just a little bit, it's only another £30! :p

To save a few quid to cover the chip cost you could switch the (slightly overpriced and really no better!) WD Black HD to a Seagate or any other cheap model. You could also consider a Home Premium license as there's really no benefit to Pro. If you're really not fussed about the chip then you might as well get a slightly cheaper motherboard too! Or not! ;)
i looked around and switched the WD Desktop Black 1TB with a Seagate Barracuda® 1TB for 30£ less, so why not use those 30£ on the i7-4770K :p about the os, i agree. after i chose pro (didnt cost that much more than home premium) i started reading about what pro has that home doesnt, for those who dont know, and i got no use for the extra pro gives so im jumping back to premium. im looking around on different motherboards, but if im going for a different one then maybe ill go for MSI Z87-G45 Gaming or ASUS Z87-A

Oona

Insider
What Rob said!

Sounds like quite an expensive system, are you building it yourself? If you tell me more of your requirements I'd be happy to help :)
Hi Oona,
See posts above to Parco - upshot: look at getting an intel CPU instead.
What need have you got for 32GB? Are you planning on using a RAMdisk? In which case don't, get a ssd instead.
8-16GB RAM total would be fine, and might reduce your voltage requirements allowing you to achieve lower latencies. It's most important for you to have the number of RAM chips equal to the number of channels (not ports) on your motherboard.
Edit: basically, I'm saying that 2x8GB would be more sensible than 4x8Gb.
See above posts to Parco - upshot: look at nvidia.
See above posts to Parco - upshot: consider also getting an SSD for your system volume.
See above posts to Parco - upshot: 850/1200W is overkill, get quality over quantity.
Any more questions? Ask away!
Thanks guys! :) I'm a total noob when it comes to these things. I'm so glad I asked here before getting anything.

I'm looking for a powerful gaming system to last me at least three/four years, but something quiet, not one of those big noisy machines. That's what I asked for and got those specifications from another forum...

I do plan on building it myself. That's supposed to be a lot cheaper, and I hear it's easy too- even though I'm so clumsy and have never done this myself, I'm willing to try!

I'll read through this thread and see what I should get instead. I thought I could trust the person who recommended the previous components to me, but it seems they are quite ridiculous choices...? I might end up getting exactly what Parco's getting then! Haha! :p

Pilluminati

Insider
CM Storm Devastator - MS2K & MB24
CM Storm Ceres 400 Gaming Headset

I'd definitely invest in a mechanical keyboard and a decent mouse.
Also, a better headset (unless you are planning to use your speakers a lot).
Just don't become an addict and start buying a new keyboard/caps every week lol.

Parco

if you are building just for gaming then you might not need to build it as expensive as im doing, my build will cost me here in norway around 2205£ with shipping. if gaming is the main purpose then you might get powerful computers for around 1500£ that are able to drive games on high settings, but if you got money to spare then its always nice to have a powerful computer to brag about :D

CM Storm Devastator - MS2K & MB24
CM Storm Ceres 400 Gaming Headset

I'd definitely invest in a mechanical keyboard and a decent mouse.
Also, a better headset (unless you are planning to use your speakers a lot).
Just don't become an addict and start buying a new keyboard/caps every week lol.
i know, but you could say its a nice upgrade from what im already using:p the plain old microsoft keyboard, a 4 year old razer deathadder (it started doubleclicking on single clicks, really really annoying) and the headset is a quite old creative HS-450 (1 cm of the bronze wire is exposed on it, this pretty much sums up why) so i guess it will be a upgrade from what i already got and its cheap :p

Last edited:

Pilluminati

Insider
i know, but you could say its a nice upgrade from what im already using:p the plain old microsoft keyboard, a 4 year old razer deathadder (it started doubleclicking on single clicks, really really annoying) and the headset is a quite old creative HS-450. so i guess it will be a upgrade from what i already got and its cheap :p
The mouse most definitely won't (if we overlook the fact that it's broken).
Keyboard, yeah, but it's still a crappy rubber dome, and even worse a "gaming keyboard".
Sorry to be sounding so negative. I'm just surprised you spend so much on the rest and then get those plastic toys :p.

Parco

butbutbut, i love plastic toys:rolleyes:
no offence taken, but as i mentioned earlier my savings will take a huge hit on this purchase, maybe later when my money allows it.
i dont really need to change my keyboard as it still works perfectly fine and i got no problems using it for games and such, but my mouse and headset,.. holy crap, bringing back my windows 95 mouse/headset would be better :p

Rob

I'm looking for a powerful gaming system to last me at least three/four years, but something quiet, not one of those big noisy machines.
Then the devil will be in the details. We didn't mention noise earlier when looking at Parco's build. Whether or not it causes noise heavily depend on exactly what brand and model you pick for various components - this is something we didn't look into earlier. There will primarily be three things that cause noise:
  • CPU fan
  • GPU fan
  • PSU fan
  • Case fans
If you want a quiet PC then you'll have ensure that these are as quiet as possible. To do this, you'll have to read the reviews, and even better component roundups. You can always change the CPU fan at a later date (i.e. get an aftermarket cooler), but once you choose a PSU and graphics card you're stuck with them, so it's really worth doing your research (unless you also plan on getting an aftermarket graphics card cooler also...). Case fans are easy to replace and/or slow down, so that's not a major concern at this stage. For the CPU and GPU, the best solution is watercooling, but that's very expensive to do right, and I certainly wouldn't recommend that if this is your first build!!! Finding a quiet PSU can be tricky, and can be a bit hit and miss unless you spend a lot of money - first off, look for one that's high efficiency (e.g. at least gold rated) and an appropriate wattage for your build (e.g. ~750W should be more than enough for a single graphics card setup). The general rule is bigger fans = quieter fans. Don't get anything with nasty little whizzy fans on it. Building a truly quiet PC can be a challenge, but is also lots of fun - I've got a pretty powerful gaming PC that's (almost) as quiet as a HTPC, so it is possible - I've got to the stage where the loudest thing in the PC is the 7200rpm mechanical hard disks (nasty whizzy things)!

Oona

Insider
Then the devil will be in the details. We didn't mention noise earlier when looking at Parco's build. Whether or not it causes noise heavily depend on exactly what brand and model you pick for various components - this is something we didn't look into earlier. There will primarily be three things that cause noise:
  • CPU fan
  • GPU fan
  • PSU fan
  • Case fans
If you want a quiet PC then you'll have ensure that these are as quiet as possible. To do this, you'll have to read the reviews, and even better component roundups. You can always change the CPU fan at a later date (i.e. get an aftermarket cooler), but once you choose a PSU and graphics card you're stuck with them, so it's really worth doing your research (unless you also plan on getting an aftermarket graphics card cooler also...). Case fans are easy to replace and/or slow down, so that's not a major concern at this stage. For the CPU and GPU, the best solution is watercooling, but that's very expensive to do right, and I certainly wouldn't recommend that if this is your first build!!! Finding a quiet PSU can be tricky, and can be a bit hit and miss unless you spend a lot of money - first off, look for one that's high efficiency (e.g. at least gold rated) and an appropriate wattage for your build (e.g. ~750W should be more than enough for a single graphics card setup). The general rule is bigger fans = quieter fans. Don't get anything with nasty little whizzy fans on it. Building a truly quiet PC can be a challenge, but is also lots of fun - I've got a pretty powerful gaming PC that's (almost) as quiet as a HTPC, so it is possible - I've got to the stage where the loudest thing in the PC is the 7200rpm mechanical hard disks (nasty whizzy things)!
Thanks! You're awesome! ;)

Have to say it's all a little overwhelming for me though! I was wondering if any of you recommend building or ready PCs. I mean, if you could recommend an already built system for me that's worth its price, I think I might prefer it!

Parco

how about:
Corsair Carbide 200R
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W PSU
Intel Core i5-4670K Processor
Cooler Master Seidon 120M CPU Kjøler
Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5, Socket-1150
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB PhysX CUDA
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB OEM
WD Desktop Blue 1TB

this should be around 1240£ (w/o screen) and i believe it should perform quite well.
i was considering buying this alienware computer, if your looking for a finished built computer within this price class then maybe this is something for you. i never tried a product from alienware before so i dont know how reliable their products are.

Last edited:

Komuflage

Insider
i was considering buying this alienware computer, if your looking a finished built computer within this price class then maybe this is something for you. i never tried a product from alienware before so i dont know how reliable their products are.
Alienware is pretty much the next level of Mac or Iphone, it's a good and reliable product that you can, get for under half the price from another brand.

In other words, Alienware pc are extremely overpriced. It's not a bad product, it's just over twice as expensive as an equilivent product would cost from another brand.

Parco

thought so, well im still going to build my own, its usually the cheapest way (unless there is a sale somewhere)
i need to start paying more attention to different brands so i know the pros and cons, so far i havent really cared that much.

Komuflage

Insider
thought so, well im still going to build my own, its usually the cheapest way (unless there is a sale somewhere)
i need to start paying more attention to different brands so i know the pros and cons, so far i havent really cared that much.
From my own experience, I would gladly recommend Corsair to anyone who is buying a pc, now I'm not as cunning as Rob or Brendan (so take their words before mine) But it's a product that to me says Quality.
I've got a Corsair SSD for a year, no trouble what so ever.
a Corsair Power supply, which I've had for 4 years. Still going strong.
4 year old DDR3s also no problem with those.

I've never had a blue screen with my current pc (And from some friends experience a faulty PSU or Memory can cause quite some trouble)

Some other great brands are Cooler master and Fractal design, they both create really robust, quality cases.
Currently owning a Cooler Master HAF X - full tower. It feels really sterdy, it's roomy, and very easy to build in, it also got some really smart solutions for common "problems".

For instance, I got 2 Harddrive hot swaps, which is basically 2 removable frames from the chassis, in which I can but either a HDD or SDD. That way, I don't have to open the case in order to change HD (However there is ofc also 7slots for HDs inside the case)

There are clips instead of screws for the dvd readers (Dunno English name) and so on.

When it comes to Graphics cards I go for either Gigabyte or Asus, owned a few, never a problem with them.

I also chose Nvidia before AMD.

This is due to both my old AMD cards a 5770 and the top of the line 5970, had some severe frame rate problems in pretty much every game.

I could play BF3 in ultra and 1080P with the 5970, in 90 fps, just to have it drop to 30 and then back up to 90.
Currently I've a 670, which only gives me around 60, but it's much more stable, so no annoying drops.

hehe, noticed this got a bit to long, so I stop here, well, these are just my recommendation. But again, take Robs or Brendans words before mine.

Pilluminati

Insider
Best bet is to just look at reviews (from various sources). Remember to keep in mind that people tend to be very attached to their own products and recommend them ignoring any flaws. With a bit of experience those types of people are easy to spot: "I have an HP notebook and it's great!! would definitely recommend it!!".

Brand awareness is good, but don't become attached to a certain brand. It should only serve as guidance to which products are worthy looking at. For example, you wouldn't even consider buying the latest Beats by dre.

Komuflage

Insider
Remember to keep in mind that people tend to be very attached to their own products and recommend them ignoring any flaws.
I noticed this as well, hence I mentioned Why I personally prefer Nvidia nowadays over AMD GPUs.

But it's the same as some prefer xbox over ps, but can't give any arguments over why they prefer it. They've just attached them self to it, and flame anyone who say otherwise. (This is ofc the same for people who prefer ps over xbox)

Parco

"i have had this graphic card in 1 week now and it works perfect, 5 stars!!!" i see alot of these kind of comments as well, not really much useful information unless you want something thats only supposed to last a week.

about what console is best, i own a xbox 360, ps2 and a wii, have tried the ps3 several times, all quite enjoyable to play on but pc is still the best console and you guys sux if saying otherwise :D :p
back to seriousness i never fully understood what the fuss is about, if you like the ps3 more then thats fine, just stop spitting in my face while trying to convince me. (real story behind this)

Oona

Insider
Alienware is pretty much the next level of Mac or Iphone, it's a good and reliable product that you can, get for under half the price from another brand.

In other words, Alienware pc are extremely overpriced. It's not a bad product, it's just over twice as expensive as an equilivent product would cost from another brand.
Yeah, I heard the same about Alienware. I've only ever used Dell and Intel, but I don't know how much more expensive their already built systems are compared to building one yourself, with the same components. Personally I think if I get the components on my own I'll make a dumb mistake that's common sense to people who know this stuff.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.