A question about Necromancy

Jackm108

So in a lot of RPG's a common theme is that Necromancy is a dark branch of magic, but I'm starting to believe that it's not inherently evil in SG/Exanima. For example, in D&D 5e it specifically states that if left without instructions, reanimated corpses are driven to kill any living thing by the necrotic energy that animates them.

In SG/Exanima, they obviously don't do that. In fact, it's possible to gain the 'trust' of a reanimated corpse in Exanima. Is this just to test NPC behavioural AI without having to implement human NPC's with dialogue, or is there a lore reason behind why the undead aren't constantly trying to kill you?

NachoDawg

Each form of thaumaturgy grants specific effects rather than having a particular purpose. For example, a necromancer would use powerful Mind thaumaturgy to evoke the transcended mind of the dead, causing them to take control of their remains. The revived dead control their decayed bodies by means of their own dormant capacity for thaumaturgy.
I think this can mean that undeads (exanimates) are just the corpses' previous owner haunting it. Kind of like a lich in my opinion, except they did not bind their soul to the body themselfs. (I call a "transcended mind" a soul), a necromancer bound it for them

I bet there is some connection between the thaumic strength of the soul and how well the exanimate functions. The Proctor is described as a powerful person and she has significant better motor skills than the other exanimates

The dev (madoc) also compared the undead's mental capacity to dogs, as in they don't have a sense of abstract thought and act on a lot of instincts (iirc disclaimer). So I speculate that the exanimate's previous personality and conditioning has a lot to say. It could be that these exanimates don't have a necromancer-master to make them do particular things, so maybe their innate behaviour depends on the individual soul

So I dont think undeads are evil unless the person while alive was of malicious character and that can be called evil

Jackm108

The dev (madoc) also compared the undead's mental capacity to dogs, as in they don't have a sense of abstract thought and act on a lot of instincts (iirc disclaimer). So I speculate that the exanimate's previous personality and conditioning has a lot to say. It could be that these exanimates don't have a necromancer-master to make them do particular things, so maybe their innate behaviour depends on the individual soul
So there isn't a way for a Necromancer to create undead thralls, so much as raising dead an training them like guard dogs? Or would it be possible for a Necromancer to mind-control a raised undead and use them that way?

NachoDawg

I would assume for at least gameplay purposes the raised ones would be under a spell to do the master's bidding

Jackm108

Good. My plan for the game involves becoming an established necromancer and occupying some dungeons or similar location and populating it with undead to guard it while I horde magical items and knowledge inside

If you read the lore, you'll read about the thaturmage, Linus Frederick, turned Necromancer. And Thaven who was the most recent occupier of the Exanima underworld is also a Necromancer of some kind.

Jackm108

How far under the world of SG is Exanima? Would it be possible to access a part of it in SG? If so I'd probably use it as my base of operations

How far under the world of SG is Exanima? Would it be possible to access a part of it in SG? If so I'd probably use it as my base of operations
It's some sort of underground city/bunker. It's presumably not too deep judging on gates, and splotches of light seeming to be moonlight breaking through the ground.

Solinarius

So in a lot of RPG's a common theme is that Necromancy is a dark branch of magic, but I'm starting to believe that it's not inherently evil in SG/Exanima. For example, in D&D 5e it specifically states that if left without instructions, reanimated corpses are driven to kill any living thing by the necrotic energy that animates them.
Well, where's the fun in Necromancy if the corruption and baleful, malefic powers are absent? I've always enjoyed the latter part more than the 'Necromancy=Skeletons' trope. If my PC were all-powerful, dreadlord thaumaturge, a master of Necromancy, I'd definitely want him to be able channel his murderous, hateful intent into a power that utterly wilts the living (entropy). I don't necessarily expect that from SG, but it'd be pretty fun!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.