Search results

1. mcmanusaur

Nudity

For the record, I'm not suggesting anything about whether video games should or should not feature violence against women, I'm just making the point that it's a bit of a slippery slope, and I just don't see why violence against children is such a singular issue that should be treated...
  2. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Well, I acknowledge that "no inconsistent/arbitrary restrictions" sounds good in theory, but it's a really slippery slope. What happens when there starts to be as much opposition to violence against women as there is about violence against children? Are we then forced to take female characters...
  3. mcmanusaur

Nudity

That's the developers' decisions to make and as such I will respect that (and remain interested in SG for other reasons), but personally I feel there are already far too many RPGs that prioritize killing too heavily, and I can't say that I hope any other games follow suit from SG in this regard...
  4. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Children may not always be relevant in an RPG- this is true- but then certainly the same can be said for nudity or violence against random NPCs (including children). Personally I can envision a lot more instances in which I'd want to interact with a child NPC than instances in which I'd want to...
  5. mcmanusaur

Procedural Generation

@above, there was a slightly older kickstarter RPG project that attempted to do just that (and was otherwise an ASCII-based roguelike) called Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones and then later renamed to Empyrea. It was being developed by just one guy, so that has a little to do with the fact that...
  6. mcmanusaur

Nudity

It's an interesting question, but for me personally (I can't speak on behalf of anyone else) it's more about violence generally being more relevant than nudity in certain genres of video games. The issues tend to arise when you try to shoehorn "gratuitous" content in where it hardly fits. But...
  7. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Alright, I see. Still seems like a classic case of throwing the baby (or child :D) out with the bathwater to me, but we'll see how it turns out.
  8. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Well, now that we are all demonstrating our respective levels of maturity in a thread about whether players are mature enough for nudity in a game, I rest my case. I've never been bothered by double or triple posts if they're directed at different people, and I'm not aware of any rule against them.
  9. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Real classy post, buddy. All I can say is that I'm glad you were not involved in the discussion up to this point, if this is how you address opinions you disagree with. Stuff like this just reflects poorly on your "side", though thankfully others who have disagreed with me have been able to do...
  10. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Ah, good to know, thanks. Hopefully people can see how I might have gotten the wrong impression from some of the preceding posts. Personally I still don't agree with that design decision- that not wanting kill-able children is grounds from not putting children in the game at all- but that's that.
  11. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Just because you know it's unavoidable to some extent doesn't mean you can't take steps to prevent it. And yes, as a designer, you have some (limited perhaps) ability to dictate what people do in a game. If we just give up and admit such things are just out of one's control, then there will...
  12. mcmanusaur

Nudity

By a lot, you mean what... one or two? Honestly I don't even know the majority of their design decisions, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. But please, do humor me by explaining how not letting players undress children is more immersion-breaking than not having children at all. I...
  13. mcmanusaur

Nudity

I'm not a professional game designer, but if I ever end up becoming one I would be extremely insulted if this is what people used my game for, and thus I wouldn't give them that option, but that's just me.
  14. mcmanusaur

Nudity

So then instead of keeping nudity out of the game, we keep children out of the game? Seems legit, real legit... If this decision was really part of the design process for Sui Generis, I have to say that is very discouraging to hear. The idea that not letting the player undress children feels...
  15. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Skyrim is just one example out of the larger trend, but a marked example at that.
  16. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Yes, but this is something that can and has been implemented in games that feature permanent underwear (take Morrowind, whose NPCs react to underwear-clad characters, for example). Addiitionally, I don't think it is the most compelling reason for the inclusion of a feature- it seems slightly...
  17. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Looting a corpse's underwear is not practical, no. The rest of their clothes for the purpose of a disguise, perhaps, but I don't see why underwear contributes to a disguise. Except maybe a corset, and that's pushing it in terms of how specific such a scenario is. I don't know about you, but I...
  18. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Right, and this would come to your attention all of those times that you find yourself really needing to remove the underwear from a corpse, am I right? Unless it is relevant to the game, it shouldn't be more immersion-breaking than any other case of limited simulation, such as not being able to...
  19. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Those issues generally begin when you hand nudity over to the players, and I remain quite skeptical that this "clothing that is glued to your skin" aspect is really as immersion-breaking for people as they claim it to be. What, all those times that you really needed your character naked for...
  20. mcmanusaur

Nudity

Not a practical reason. And this is more of a reason against not including it than a reason to include it, which is what I'm after (there is a difference). We'd have to learn more about how Sui Generis models injuries before we can decide if this "reason" is at all relevant. At the moment it's...

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.