Feedback (3/3): Other (minor) stuff

Zor

I've collected things I noticed during my last play through so that I could give constructive feedback. I've organised my feedback into three post. This is the third of those three and deals with those things I personally would like to see, but might be rather personal or less important on the grander scale of things. The first and second posted can be viewed at your pleasure.
  • It would be nice if I could re-lock doors/chests?
  • It would be nice if there was a dialogue line where I could tell Derrin to close doors behind him
  • Compared to the quite wide selection of weapons, the selection of shields seems somewhat shallow by comparison.
  • I would expect a long (just above the knees) chain shirt (with long sleeves).
  • The requirements for the magic system causes times where I cannot select the next magic skill to learn, because they all require some skill I do not currently have, causing the upgrade + to continue to blink at me
  • Right now, the game is organised in such a way that the progression in equipment (most notably, with armour) is quite linear, with the plate armour being superior to earlier armour types such as splint and maille. While this is of course mostly correct from a historic perspective, I feel it limits the option for personal style and preference too stringently. I would personally welcome it if I could combine other equipment options into a viable (competitive with plate harness) alternative.
  • I've never found an 'Exceptional leather belt'. The completionist in me really wants them to exist.
Your lordship's most humble and obedient servant,
Zor

Last edited:

HopeDIV

Insider
Well constructued again. Many of these are planned, so I figure I can comment on those.

• It would be nice if I could re-lock doors/chests?
Certainly planned, many small features will hopefully make their way into the game soon, they just are not a priority.

• It would be nice if there was a dialogue line where I could tell Derrin to close doors behind him
Dialogue is very large subject, so I'm somewhat oversimpifly it.
A variety of dialogue related to changing or asking a npc to change their behavior is planned, whether thats in combat, out of combat, general or specific. This interfaces with the A.I role framework which is currently in the last bit of its implementation.
This can cover things like yelling in combat, discussing a event occuring, what to loot and what to leave behind, how to fight, what to fight, and more mudane discussions.

• Compared to the quite wide selection of weapons, the selection of shields seems somewhat shallow by comparison.
Quite true and likely to be made worse on the introduction of procedural/modular weapons, that said, there are many shields in developement.
Below are some WIP shield base models.

Front sides

Back sides

I would expect a long (just above the knees) chain shirt (with long sleeves).
I believe you are referring to a hauberk or haubergeon. Its an earlier armour than most of the armour and weapons in Exanima, but will likely be added at somepoint.
The major problem with such long garments is that they require cloth physics to function properly within the game. Cloth physics at scale offers a fair few technical problems, especially around performance. That said it is planned and hopefully robes, skirts, long coats and indeed hauberks make an appearance in Exanima.

Zor

Thanks for the heads up, again :)!

I believe you are referring to a hauberk or haubergeon. Its an earlier armour than most of the armour and weapons in Exanima, but will likely be added at somepoint.
The major problem with such long garments is that they require cloth physics to function properly within the game. Cloth physics at scale offers a fair few technical problems, especially around performance. That said it is planned and hopefully robes, skirts, long coats and indeed hauberks make an appearance in Exanima.
Yes, I'm indeed referring to the hauberk. And while they were in service well into the 15th century, I think their heydays are indeed before the time period Exanima is aiming for. I would still enjoy their appearance in the game though :)

Quite true and likely to be made worse on the introduction of procedural/modular weapons, that said, there are many shields in developement.
Below are some WIP shield base models.

Front sides

Back sides
Oooh! nice. Those to seem to be from a later time period than I was thinking about, but I guess they fit well with the other renaissance-ish equipment. My personal flavour of shields would be, I guess, an earlier style: pic 1, pic 2, and pic 3 (images by Dimicator), but I can understand if they don't match with the style/period vision for Exanima.

Your most humble servant,
Zor

Your feedback lights up the most things, which would make a huge sense in the future. But then more you play the game then more you understand its phylosophy and devs' intensions. So you begin to see the overall picture of games' current development stage and start becoming more mercifull for minor misworklings or bugs.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.