[PHYSICS GLITCH] The Amazing Balancing Hatchet

Bullethead

This is seemingly a very minor thing in itself but, because it involves both a weapon and physics, it might be a sign of something more serious underneath that needs a tweak. So I figured I might as well post it.

Here's the deal. When you drop the hatchet, oriented so that it would be flat on the ground, it will slowly rotate itself upwards in defiance of gravity so that it's balanced on the edge of its blade. If you kick it flat, it will stand itself up again.

Hatchet Blade Balance.jpg

Bullethead

Be a good idea to preface your title with [Bug] , to make sure they see it.
I suppose you're right. Too bad this forum doesn't allow changes in thread titles. Oh well, what with you being an insider and all, maybe you could mention in in the secret hideout ;)

Bullethead

Or you could just edit the thread title.

Hmmm. OK, thanks. Never would have thought to look for it there.

This is the 1st time forum I've encountered a forum that uses this XenForo software. It has lots of nice features compared to the vBulletin software in more common use, but it does take some getting used to. In vBulletin, changing a thread's title is in the edit menu of the post itself.

I'm quite sure this magically balancing hatchet(same thing happens to the old axe if you put it in a certain way) is supposed to be more of a thing for looks. All the hatchets that are not being wielded by zombies are sticking out of a piece of wood or something. Makes it look better I suppose if the the hatchet is sticking out of the wood.

Bullethead

I'm quite sure this magically balancing hatchet(same thing happens to the old axe if you put it in a certain way) is supposed to be more of a thing for looks. All the hatchets that are not being wielded by zombies are sticking out of a piece of wood or something. Makes it look better I suppose if the the hatchet is sticking out of the wood.
Good theory but I'm not sure myself. When you find a hatchet stuck in a chopping block, the handle is up in the air so only the blade is touching anything. However, when you drop the hatchet on the ground, both the blade and the handle touch the ground. This difference in behavior implies that when the hatchet is stuck in the chopping block, there's some sort of "lock" on physics that prevents gravity from affecting the handle, and thsi "lock" doesn't happen on the ground. It seems logical to assume that this same "locking" mechanism would also keep the whole hatchet on edge on the block without needing anything funky in the hatchet itself.

The behavior of the hatchet on the ground, where gravity alone should be affecting it, seems to me to be as shown in the sketch below:

Hatchet Balance 02.png

In this theory, the hatchet's center of mass is well out in front of the edge of the blade, and also outside the bounding box of the hatchet itself. Thus, when you drop the hatchet, it spawns in your "hand" in a default orientation, which would have it lie flat on the ground. But when you release it, gravity/physics starts to act on it. Because the center of mass is outside the bounding box, gravity can pull it down through the floor. Meanwhile, the bounding box prevents the hatchet itself from going through the floor, and causes it to rotate into a vertical orientation along the axis defined by the hatchet's 2 points of contact with the ground.

If this is what's actually happening, it has implications for using the hatchet as a weapon. I'm sure that in the game, the location of the center of mass is very important to the physics of swinging and hitting with a weapon, just as in real life. So if the hatchet's center of mass is in an unrealistic position, it would give unrealistic results in combat.

Bullethead

What is this? A picture for ants?
It's a side view of my interpretation of why the Amazing Balancing Hatchet balances when on the ground. The blue line is the ground surface, the plane of which is perpendicular to the plane of your monitor screen. I suppose it would be more clear if I'd drawn the blue line horizontal but then the hatchet would have had to be at an angle, and MS Paint doesn't allow rotations to arbitrary angles. So I had the choice of throwing together a quick sketch or taking more time with a fancier graphics program. Being a lazy SOB, I chose the former. In fact, I've spent more time typing this reply than I did making the sketch.

It's a side view of my interpretation of why the Amazing Balancing Hatchet balances when on the ground. The blue line is the ground surface, the plane of which is perpendicular to the plane of your monitor screen. I suppose it would be more clear if I'd drawn the blue line horizontal but then the hatchet would have had to be at an angle, and MS Paint doesn't allow rotations to arbitrary angles. So I had the choice of throwing together a quick sketch or taking more time with a fancier graphics program. Being a lazy SOB, I chose the former. In fact, I've spent more time typing this reply than I did making the sketch.
Resize in paint

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.