About to do a big mistake, buying new gaming computer :D

Parco

its not like my old computer stopped working or anything but it definitely have dropped alot in performance forcing me to play most games on low/medium graphics. it also starting having problems running multiple programs, just having chrome up while playing dayz or league of legends makes the game almost unplayable. so i decided to put that computer aside and use it for servers hosting instead (minecraft, etc,..)
with the new computer i should be able to run most games on best/good graphics while recording/streaming, or at least i hope it will be able to, this will after all cost me around 2850$

these are the parts my new computer will be composed of:

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
XFX ProSeries XXX Edition 850W PSU
AMD FX-8350 8-Core Processor 4,0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, Socket-AM3+
Kingston DDR3 HyperX PnP 1866MHz 8GB
XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz 3GB GDDR5
Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224DB
Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB 2.5" OEM
WD Desktop Black 1TB
Cooler Master Seidon 120M CPU cooler
CM Storm Ceres 400 Gaming Headset
CM Storm Speed RX Small Mouse Pad
CM Storm Devastator - MS2K & MB24
ASUS PCE-N53 11n N600 PCI-E Adapter
MS COA Label Windows Home Premium 7
MS DVD Win H.P/Pro/Ultimate 7 EN 64bit
MS ROYALTY Win Home Premium 7 Nordic
AOC 27" LED E2752VQ
HDMI 1.4 flat cable M/M 3m gold contacts

gonna buy it on saturday/sunday so i get it the same day i get home, any ideas what to change/add? (within reasonable price)

Last edited:

Rob

Hi Parco,
It's quite hard to recommend any changes, as it looks like a very nicely balanced setup! I think any changes would involve increasing the price, so if the intention is to work at this price point then you've got a nice rig there. If you did want to increase the price to make it more gaming-oriented and future proof, you may want to consider (in order of your list):
  • If you're not going SLI, an 850W PSU may be overkill. Nice if you can afford it, but overkill. Thinking about noise output (depending on the noise of other components) reliability and power consumption, I'd be tempted to go for a lower-wattage higher-efficiency PSU well-known for reliability. However, searching can be a minefield if you don't know what you're looking for, and they can get expensive.
  • Good intel CPUs are far better than AMD's best offerings, especially for games (ATM). Particularly if you're happy to overclock. The i7 4770k is probably the best out there (i.e.most appropriate IMO), but is a fair step up in price from the FX8350, and would also inherently involve a motherboard rethink, etc. P.S. I'm not an intel fanboy.
  • My last few graphics cards have been AMD/ATI (3870 -> 4870 -> 6950) ever since my old geforce 6600gt. However, I won't be going AMD again next time for two reasons: (1) irritated by stupid things that don't affect nvidia cards, like driver issues and not always being able to force anti-aliasing; and (2) advise from Madoc&Brendan, who've advised on steering clear of AMD cards after working with them at a lower level. They've suggested that a nvidia card with a high fillrate will be best for Sui Generis. If looking at nvidia cards around the same price of the 7970, you'll be looking at the 760 or the 770, or alternatively wait for the 760ti to come out soon. If it were me, I'd go for the 770 (in truth, I'm actually waiting for nvidia's 800 series to come out in ~6months, and will almost surely get one, pending them having positive reviews). Of course, a graphics card is an easily-upgradable thing, so whatever you get now you can always upgrade in a couple of years time!!! One more thing - if you're bothered about noise, make sure you do proper research on how much noise the graphics card outputs before buying... that can be a killer.
  • I'm sure the Kingston SSD will be great, but I always go with Samsungs both at home and at work, and they are always great. Nothing seems to have been able to come close to Samsung in the past year or two.
  • Monitor - if you're more bothered about quality and pixel density than actual size, whilst still keeping the cost down, have a look at the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M.
  • One final thing - don't be tempted to overpay for a HDMI cable. A cheap HDMI is no different to an expensive HDMI cable, as long as you get the correct HDMI version (which can confuse some people)!!!
No idea if that helps, or whether it's just a useless ramble, but there's my two cents anyway. Have fun buying & building!!! :)

Scarecrow

Insider
Yeah, i think that rig looks good too Parco. Rob pretty much covered that points that should be changed if you wanted to. I'm just going to second what Rob said about AMD/ATI especially. I have general bad experiences with AMD cards, and i just think Nvidia does it better. I've always used Nvidia and been happy about it, until i got my Asus G73JH which is ATI. I have had several problems with it. Going back to a new powerful Notebook with Nvidia cards.

Brendan

Developer
I'm with @Rob on this!

The thing to note about the AMD FX CPU's is that they only have one floating point unit (the only thing that matters for games) per 2 "cores", where as Intel CPU's (and previous AMD CPU's like the Phenom) have one per core as they should. So for games (and arguably anything else that matters) the FX 8350 is essentially just a slow quad core. Even the i5 4670k would be a much better choice for not a lot extra.

As for motherboard, my choice would be the GA-Z87X-UD3H as it's the cheapest board with a high end power delivery system (Gigabyte's Ultra Durable 5 as used in their top end boards, which actually costs them ~$80 just to manufacture), though this only matters for overclocking and any cheap Z87 board will probably be fine.

AMD graphics cards do have a LOT of low level issues, based on the cards we've tested you will get more consistent performance and better visual quality with an Nvidia. In terms of performance pixel fill rate is indeed king, so much so that a GTX 560 ti outperforms a 660 ti. The best value card for SG right now, oddly, is the GTX 580, which is almost as fast as a 780 for nearly a third of the price (Scan have the 3GB version for £175 at the moment, bargain!). To find out how well a card will run SG you can simply look at the pixel fillrate on these charts, literally nothing else matters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

Nvidia GTX 580 = 37 GP/s
Nvidia GTX 680 = 32.2 GP/s
Nvidia GTX 760 = 31.6 GP/s
Nvidia GTX 770 = 33.5 GP/s
Nvidia GTX 780 = 41.4 GP/s
Nvidia GTX Titan = 40.2 GP/s
AMD 7970 Ghz = 32 GP/s

The GTX 760 is a good choice overall.

I wouldn't buy that Kingston SSD either, not sure how much it costs but the Samsung 840 Pro is a LOT better and worth a few extra bucks. Another good choice is the little known Toshiba HD5D, which is just as fast and slightly cheaper (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb-toshiba-hd5d-25-ssd-sata-iii-slim-7mm-6gb-s-19nm-mlc-flash-read-552mb-s-write-512mb-s-90000-io).

Then there's the monitor... The AOC 27" LED E2752VQ uses a TN panel which just sucks, I don't care what any review of it says, don't do it! Get an IPS, all other specs are secondary IMO. In that bracket the AOC I2757FM looks to be a much better choice for not a lot extra.

Parco

thx for the reply, it helps alot :) when it comes to the hardware on computers i only know what the numbers mean, not what brands that are actually best.

i already knew from the start the 850W PSU would be a overkill but i thought it would be nice in case i one day were gonna upgrade and the new parts were more power hungrier. ive been in situation before where i completely forgot about the power supply when i upgraded an old computer long time ago, since then i tend to have gone for more power just to be on the "safe" side in case i one day are gonna upgrade again.

intel being better than amd is something ive known for a long time (so much aggressive discussions on the internet :p) but ive been reading alot of reviews and seems many thinks this processor is better than many of the i7 and some of the i5, and compared to the price its really good. as you said i probably had to spit out alot more money if i wanted a better intel processor.

new graphics card then :D what about MSI GeForce GTX 770? the price is almost the same as XFX Radeon HD 7970, and the reviews also seems good.

ssd's is something i know not much about since its so new and i never had one before, but i found a samsung that have around the same price as the kingstone, so ill swap to this one then: Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB

screens is something i never have given much thoughts when buying, as long as they show a picture then im happy with it :p but your suggestion seems really good, i might go for it.

i just noticed, the graphic card only have 1 hdmi output and im gonna use 2 screens, so i guess i wont be needed new cable after all then :p

edit: just noticed Brendans post :eek:

Last edited:

Rob

Good points Brendan!

The thing to note about the AMD FX CPU's is that they only have one floating point unit (the only thing that matters for games) per 2 "cores", where as Intel CPU's (and previous AMD CPU's like the Phenom) have one per core as they should. So for games (and arguably anything else that matters) the FX 8350 is essentially just a slow quad core. Even the i5 4670k would be a much better choice for not a lot extra.
100% agree. Calling these AMD CPUs an 8-core is a bit like calling a multi-threaded Intel quad core an 8-core... well, not quite, but in practice that's the effect. For gaming, single-core performance is much more important. Most modern games don't utilise more than 4 cores anyway, so unless you plan on gaming whilst also doing something else that hammers your CPU then you're best off getting a >=quad core with excellent single core performance, i.e. an overclocked Intel.

I wouldn't buy that Kingston SSD either, not sure how much it costs but the Samsung 840 Pro is a LOT better and worth a few extra bucks.
Yes, the Samsung 840 Pro is the king. It's also quite expensive though. I've recently gone with the 240GB Samsung 840 EVO, just because I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Pro, and I've been really happy with it. Saying that, I got the EVO as a second SSD, not as a system volume. If I was in the market for a system volume (and had a decent sataIII controller, which I don't) then I'd get the 840 Pro, no questions.

Then there's the monitor... The AOC 27" LED E2752VQ uses a TN panel which just sucks, I don't care what any review of it says, don't do it! Get an IPS, all other specs are secondary IMO. In that bracket the AOC I2757FM looks to be a much better choice for not a lot extra.
I also agree with going for an IPS (ignoring the different types/grades of IPS...). Given that you want it as a gaming monitor, you'll certainly want to make sure the response time is low enough, which can be the sticking point with some of the IPS monitors. Certainly, the AOC I2757FM that Brendan suggests looks great as a good cheap 27" IPS. My reason for suggesting the 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2412M (also as a good cheap IPS) is that it's got a 16:10 aspect ratio, rather than 16:9, which for me is vastly preferable for a PC monitor. Plus this means more pixels - 1920x1200 vs 1920vs1080. The problem is that the 27" version is dramatically more expensive, unfortunately!

Rob

i only know what the numbers mean, not what brands that are actually best.
new graphics card then :D what about MSI GeForce GTX 770? the price is almost the same as XFX Radeon HD 7970, and the reviews also seems good.
i just noticed, the graphic card only have 1 hdmi output and im gonna use 2 screens, so i guess i wont be needed new cable after all then :p
There used to be a time when brand mattered when buying graphics cards. I'm not so sure anymore. All of the manufacturers are usually buying the same reference board, so there tends to be very little difference between them. Things to consider:
  • Fans/cooling, and importantly the noise it makes. Unless you're planning on getting an aftermarket graphics card cooler (not an issue for me as I watercool everything...).
  • Is it a reference board, or have they made changes to it. If so, are those changes/improvements justified by the added cost.
  • Number of outputs. If the card you've picked only has 1 hdmi output then choose a different card with 2 hdmi outputs!!!
  • Aftersale service and warranty.
  • Is it factory pre-overclocked. In which case is the overclock worth it... i.e. would you be happy to just overclock it yourself? In which case, are there any cards on sale that lend themselves better to overclocking, e.g. have more durable components and/or allow more power input? In which case, is heat going to be an issue -> back to the first bulletpoint...

the Samsung 840 Pro is a LOT better and worth a few extra bucks.
i found a samsung that have around the same price as the kingstone, so ill swap to this one then: Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB
Go for it. The 840 Pro is pretty much the best you can get. In work I've got an array of six 840 Pro 512GB SSDs in raid 10... it's lovely:D

Scarecrow

Insider
Just a question about pixel filltrate then: What is considered to be low, acceptable, good or great?

Like me, i have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870, which supposedly has a pixel fillrate of 11.2
Is that like, completely rubbish, and i wont be able to play Sui Generis with a stable fps?

Brendan

Developer
Good points Brendan!

100% agree. Calling these AMD CPUs an 8-core is a bit like calling a multi-threaded Intel quad core an 8-core... well, not quite, but in practice that's the effect. For gaming, single-core performance is much more important. Most modern games don't utilise more than 4 cores anyway, so unless you plan on gaming whilst also doing something else that hammers your CPU then you're best off getting a >=quad core with excellent single core performance, i.e. an overclocked Intel.
Exactly. The quad core Intels are just superior where it matters, with much better single threaded performance and an equal amount of faster FPU's for multi threaded maths tasks. Our normal mapper is an interesting example (of a multi threaded floating point task); a hexacore i7 with HT running 12 threads is (unsurprisingly!) the champion, but even an i5 running 4 threads beats an 8350 running 8.

Yes, the Samsung 840 Pro is the king. It's also quite expensive though. I've recently gone with the 240GB Samsung 840 EVO, just because I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Pro, and I've been really happy with it. Saying that, I got the EVO as a second SSD, not as a system volume. If I was in the market for a system volume (and had a decent sataIII controller, which I don't) then I'd get the 840 Pro, no questions.
Yeah fair enough, they're good too! Madoc has the 840 Pro and I ended up getting the Toshiba HD5D for Kieran a couple of months ago as it was £40 cheaper and does just as well in benchmarks.

I also agree with going for an IPS (ignoring the different types/grades of IPS...). Given that you want it as a gaming monitor, you'll certainly want to make sure the response time is low enough, which can be the sticking point with some of the IPS monitors. Certainly, the AOC I2757FM that Brendan suggests looks great as a good cheap 27" IPS. My reason for suggesting the 24" Dell Ultrasharp U2412M (also as a good cheap IPS) is that it's got a 16:10 aspect ratio, rather than 16:9, which for me is vastly preferable for a PC monitor. Plus this means more pixels - 1920x1200 vs 1920vs1080. The problem is that the 27" version is dramatically more expensive, unfortunately!
Personally I've never been too convinced by all this input lag shenanigans... I've always gone for non-TN panels and never even noticed it, neither has Kieran for that matter and he's quite fussy about that kind of thing. I think, at least, that it's a thing of the past and more about marketing hype than anything else now. Totally agree on the rest and yeah you're right, I am of course overlooking the fact that the new crop of cheap IPS monitors aren't true 8 bit panels, but we have a couple here and the dithering isn't really noticeable, they're still far better than TN trash. I would also choose a 16:10, but I'd also want a true 8 bit panel with wide colour gamut at which point you're already talking ~£400 so you might as well go 27" :rolleyes:

There is something to be said for being able to run native res at high FPS though, my last monitor was a 32" TV and it was pretty sweet for gaming (if a bit annoying for everything else!). That 27" 1080p IPS sounds like a good compromise for the money.

...what about MSI GeForce GTX 770? the price is almost the same as XFX Radeon HD 7970, and the reviews also seems good.
The GTX 770 is a nice card, won't be much faster than a 760 for SG but it is for everything else, would definitely take that over a 7970 if there's not much price difference!

ssd's is something i know not much about since its so new and i never had one before, but i found a samsung that have around the same price as the kingstone, so ill swap to this one then: Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB
Good choice, you won't be disappointed!

...screens is something i never have given much thoughts when buying, as long as they show a picture then im happy with it :p but your suggestion seems really good, i might go for it.
Another good choice! :)

Rob

According to Brendan and Madoc, pixel fillrate is the most important thing governing graphics card performance in Sui Generis. However, they haven't yet given an indication about how fillrate translates directly into fps (given other graphics settings). Some of this was discussed in the second half of this thread, ages ago:
www.baremettle.com/sg/forums/index.php?threads/graphics-options-capabilities.75

This is because the devs have written their own engine from scratch, and as such it suffers from different bottlenecks and limitations than engines used in other games. As reflected by my original surprise at fillrate being so important for Sui Generis, fillrate isn't usually the important factor in determining graphics card performance.

Just a question about pixel filltrate then: What is considered to be low, acceptable, good or great?

Like me, i have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870, which supposedly has a pixel fillrate of 11.2
Is that like, completely rubbish, and i wont be able to play Sui Generis with a stable fps?
I'm sure we'll learn more by benchmarking during the alpha, but I can imagine you'll be fine. You probably won't be able to enable high graphics settings or much antialiasing, etc., but I'm sure you'll be able to a reasonable framerate on lower graphics settings. I'd be very surprised if BM would release SG without very reasonable minimum requirements. I'm sure the devs would clarify further.

Rob

Personally I've never been too convinced by all this input lag shenanigans... I've always gone for non-TN panels and never even noticed it, neither has Kieran for that matter and he's quite fussy about that kind of thing. I think, at least, that it's a thing of the past and more about marketing hype than anything else now.
Interesting - you're the first person that I've heard say this! Thanks for the tip - now I'm curious! It's been a while since I've been to a tech convention, but maybe I'll keep my eye open and try to get to one that's got a load of screens lined up so that I can put it to the test myself!!!

I would also choose a 16:10, but I'd also want a true 8 bit panel with wide colour gamut at which point you're already talking ~£400 so you might as well go 27" :rolleyes:
Yes. And I'd also want it to be 30" and 2560x1600, but then we're talking ~£1000. Oh well... far, far out of reach. Perhaps 4K screens will become mainstream and come down in price at some point...

Oona

Insider
I'm hoping to buy a new gaming computer soon, too! The one I'm using now is so old! I've been recommended these components:

CPU: AMD FX-9590
Cooler: Zalman CNPS 12/13 or water cooling system
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth FX990 Gen3
RAM: AMD or Corsair Vengeance 4x8Gb kit CL11
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 6Gb Vapor-X or HD 7990 6Gb
Sound: Creative X-fi Titanium
HDD: Seagate or WD SATA durable drive(s) of needed capacity
PSU: Chieftec Nitro series 850/1200 Watt PSU
CASE: Cooler Master HAF932 or HAF-X (942)

If any of you more knowledgeable peeps have any better recommendations, I'd love to know! ^.^
(sorry about hijacking, Parco :oops:)

Last edited:

Brendan

Developer

@Rob is spot on again.

11.2 GP/s isn't too bad, we can't really aim higher than that for mainstream settings so you will definitely be able to play SG smoothly. The fastest cards today have 32-41 GP/s but that kind of performance will only be required for extreme settings and multisampling (which renders the scene multiple times for uber AA and other effects like motion blur).

Brendan

Developer
Interesting - you're the first person that I've heard say this! Thanks for the tip - now I'm curious! It's been a while since I've been to a tech convention, but maybe I'll keep my eye open and try to get to one that's got a load of screens lined up so that I can put it to the test myself!!!
I've never really heard it either, it's just my experience so I dunno... Be very interested to hear your findings though!

Yes. And I'd also want it to be 30" and 2560x1600, but then we're talking ~£1000. Oh well... far, far out of reach. Perhaps 4K screens will become mainstream and come down in price at some point...
Yeah... gief! :p

Reactions: Rob

Parco

THIS IS MY THREAD:mad:
jk:p

so this is the updated list then:

APC Essential Surge Arrest
Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU
Intel Core i7-4771
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H, Socket-1150
Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 8GB
MSI GeForce GTX 770 Gaming 4GB PhysX
Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB 2.5" OEM
WD Desktop Black 1TB
MS COA Label Windows Pro 7
MS ROYALTY Win Pro 7 Nordic

it becomes somewhat more expensive than before but i guess it will be worth it :D
im trying to buy everything from same place so i wont have to pay for 9x shippings :p and seems the place im buying from dont have the AOC I2757FM which is too bad so ill buy either Dell Ultrasharp U2412M or a cheaper screen Acer 24" LED G246HYLB, i might also just go on the much needed shopping trip to the city and see what i can find there
Number of outputs. If the card you've picked only has 1 hdmi output then choose a different card with 2 hdmi outputs!!!
i dont think i need a card with 2 hdmi outputs, the second screen will be used for secondary stuff so quality isnt a priority, so ill just buy a HDMI-DVI cable :p

Rob

Intel Core i7-4771
All sounds good, although be aware that the 4771 doesn't have an unlocked multiplier, which basically means it's not suitable for overclocking. If you want to overclock, then have a look at the 4770k. This one might be more expensive, but the bang4buck will be much better than the 4771 once you've overclocked it. You might be able to keep the cost down by getting an OEM version. On the other hand, if you're never going to overclock it then get the 4771!!!

Rob

Hi Oona,

See posts above to Parco - upshot: look at getting an intel CPU instead.

What need have you got for 32GB? Are you planning on using a RAMdisk? In which case don't, get a ssd instead.

8-16GB RAM total would be fine, and might reduce your voltage requirements allowing you to achieve lower latencies. It's most important for you to have the number of RAM chips equal to the number of channels (not ports) on your motherboard.

Edit: basically, I'm saying that 2x8GB would be more sensible than 4x8Gb.

See above posts to Parco - upshot: look at nvidia.

See above posts to Parco - upshot: consider also getting an SSD for your system volume.

See above posts to Parco - upshot: 850/1200W is overkill, get quality over quantity.

Any more questions? Ask away!

Parco

yea im aware, but im not gonna do much overclocking. since this will be a huge hit on my savings, i want the computer to last as long as possible. if the future is kind and i have money to spare then i might buy a new cpu and play around with it.
anyway, thx alot for the help guys ^^, thx to you my future will contain more gaming and less foodz :D

Reactions: Rob

Brendan

Developer
THIS IS MY THREAD:mad:
jk:p

so this is the updated list then:

APC Essential Surge Arrest
Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU
Intel Core i7-4771
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H, Socket-1150
Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 8GB
MSI GeForce GTX 770 Gaming 4GB PhysX
Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB 2.5" OEM
WD Desktop Black 1TB
MS COA Label Windows Pro 7
MS ROYALTY Win Pro 7 Nordic

it becomes somewhat more expensive than before but i guess it will be worth it :D
im trying to buy everything from same place so i wont have to pay for 9x shippings :p and seems the place im buying from dont have the AOC I2757FM which is too bad so ill buy either Dell Ultrasharp U2412M or a cheaper screen Acer 24" LED G246HYLB, i might also just go on the much needed shopping trip to the city and see what i can find there

i dont think i need a card with 2 hdmi outputs, the second screen will be used for secondary stuff so quality isnt a priority, so ill just buy a HDMI-DVI cable :p
Much better!

Didn't realise there was a 4771, but it sounds like a pointless chip (Intel just bumped the clock speed up 100mhz to match the unlocked 4770k)... Just as Rob said I'd suggest getting the 4770k instead if you're going to overclock, and you really might as well, just a little bit, it's only another £30! :p

To save a few quid to cover the chip cost you could switch the (slightly overpriced and really no better!) WD Black HD to a Seagate or any other cheap model. You could also consider a Home Premium license as there's really no benefit to Pro. If you're really not fussed about the chip then you might as well get a slightly cheaper motherboard too! Or not! ;)

Anyway no worries, you've got a great system in the making there! Enjoy! :D

Brendan

Developer
I'm hoping to buy a new gaming computer soon, too! The one I'm using now is so old! I've been recommended these components:

Cooler: Zalman CNPS 12/13 or water cooling system
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth FX990 Gen3
Sound: Creative X-fi Titanium
CASE: Cooler Master HAF932 or HAF-X (942)

If any of you more knowledgeable peeps have any better recommendations, I'd love to know! ^.^
What Rob said!

Sounds like quite an expensive system, are you building it yourself? If you tell me more of your requirements I'd be happy to help :)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.